Prediction Round 1 2022 Team

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dewyyyyy

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 28, 2020
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Injury is the concern, i think he will be managed with McEvoy in 2022.
Looked fooken fit on day 1 pre season, if he's fit he plays. Get the best out of him while he's still somewhat in his prime, look at the last time in 2020, domination!

May 10, 2007
Bonbeach
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal Fc Portland Trailblazers
FB: Sicily - DGB - Hardwick
HB: Impey - Frost - Scrimshaw

MID: McEvoy - Mitchell - O'Meara
MID: Bramble - Worpel - Day

HF: Breust - Koschitzke - Wingard
FF: Gunston - Lewis - Moore

INT: Reeves - Jiath - Newcombe - Ward (Reckon he'll play round 1).

This is not a 'Best 22' that finishes bottom 4. Not even close.

You also have to have a look at every other clubs best 22 to judge and compare, most clubs best 22s look reasonable tbh.

It's all really a moot point though, as how often do teams field their best 22 ? Close to never.

Aug 9, 2017
Penguin
AFL Club
Tasmania
Other Teams
Hurricanes, Panthers
I think it is more likely than not that all the draftees will start with BH - to get some experience with our systems. Ward is a chance in round 1, but only if he has some serious impact in the pre-season hitouts. I see Nash as a likely starter - his physical presence in the midfield was a bit of a game changer last season.
Not sure to be honest, i think with Sam coming in it will be a fresh start and whoever performs will get the gig round 1.

All of our first 3 picks look like they are ready to have an impact at AFL level this year, just a matter of if they are ready for round 1.

Ward is the big one obviously he is seen to be the 'best' player we drafted but he is also flexible. We can start him off a wing, in the centre square or even as a roaming half forward. I think he will be given every chance to earn a round 1 gig.

Butler is the other one i think is a decent chance just because we are screaming out for a player like him.

Jan 10, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
LA Clippers
Ward, Bramble, Day, Scrimshaw all wing options, Downie sooner rather than later.
I think you’ve gotta have bit more faith in Phillips.

He has runs on the board over his whole career. He came into 2021 with a different body shape as he was looking to play in a more inside role, but if he has trimmed up this off season we could definitely see his form improve.

Seems like a good effort, i hate that Brocky can't get a gig but justifiable leaving him out.

Pre season will obviously dictate a lot but some decent talent left out of that team. Good signs going forward.

How many days until round 1? 🤤

Our list is a mess. Kane & our Director established this fact just last week!

Our list is a mess. Kane & our Director established this fact just last week!

People must listen to Kane, because we’re currently favourite for the wooden spoon according to a Poll on the main board. 😂

Which reminds me that the “head*ed by Hawthorn” thread is still as relevant as ever.

Slainte

Club Legend
Oct 10, 2008
Brisbane
AFL Club
Hawthorn
People must listen to Kane, because we’re currently favourite for the wooden spoon according to a Poll on the main board. 😂

Which reminds me that the “headfu**ed by Hawthorn” thread is still as relevant as ever.
Wooden spoon seems unlikely. The departures are not critical, the youngsters are a year older, we have some top players coming back from injury and some handy recruits. Maybe it is the loss of Clarkson. The systems may take a while to click into gear but I got the impression that Mitchell was alraeady having an influence in the latter part of the season, when we started winning games. We are a fair chance of bottom half but not the spoon.

Nov 21, 2010
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Chelsea, Detroit Pistons
By my count, the Hawks now have 4 guys who could definitely play senior footy in the first half of next year. I'd guess two of them will debut in the first ~3 rounds. Bloody exciting.

Jun 24, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
By my count, the Hawks now have 4 guys who could definitely play senior footy in the first half of next year. I'd guess two of them will debut in the first ~3 rounds. Bloody exciting.
I can see Sicily kick into DGB, hand pass off to Day who sticks it in front of Ward, cuts it into Macca who jots it back to a streaming Ward who puts it up perfectly for a Butler speccy 35 out on a slight angle already.

kenneje

Premiership Player
Apr 25, 2010
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal
You also have to have a look at every other clubs best 22 to judge and compare, most clubs best 22s look reasonable tbh.

It's all really a moot point though, as how often do teams field their best 22 ? Close to never.

Great point, the league does look to be really competitive next year (Collingwood the only obvious strugglers).

Gee our defence excites me though. It's great that a first time coach is going to walk into a team with a good defensive foundation - particularly when rumors are he is going to have us playing extremely offensive.

Feb 13, 2010
Melbourne, Victoria
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Coney Island Warriors
I can see Sicily kick into DGB, hand pass off to Day who sticks it in front of Ward, cuts it into Macca who jots it back to a streaming Ward who puts it up perfectly for a Butler speccy 35 out on a slight angle already.
Unless we're playing Melbourne, in which case Sicily kicks it to Gawn :straining:

I’m looking forward to more training reports too ;)

People seem quick to wipe Shiels.
He is a club favourite so i suspect any talk of his demise is a little premature.

Sure, it will come, but perhaps not as quick as you might think/like.

Aug 9, 2017
Penguin
AFL Club
Tasmania
Other Teams
Hurricanes, Panthers
People seem quick to wipe Shiels.
He is a club favourite so i suspect any talk of his demise is a little premature.

Sure, it will come, but perhaps not as quick as you might think/like.
I definitely don't like some of the slander he cops, he has given so much to this club.

However he is definitely one of the most at risk of losing his spot going forward. Mitchell, O'meara, Wingard, Nash, Newcombe, Ward, MacDonald, Butler, Long is a lot of competition

Add in players like Finn, Downie, Bramble, Morrison who will be competition for the wing spots that he can sometimes resort back to

And you have Day and Scrimshaw who a lot seem to think may more up the ground more (i am not so sure).

He is clearly behind the first 4 i mentioned and doesn't have the age/upside of the younger guys mentioned afterwards. Defintely think his spot is at risk if he doesn't find the form of a few years ago.

I'll be very interested to see what happens with Shiels and others who were part of the three-peat. He's still only 30, but he's not overly versatile, which may be a mark against him. At the very least he will be a great role model for the younger guys - really show them how to get the best out of themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back