Sinclair~Butler~Hannebery~Sharman

B: Coffield Howard Webster
HB: Hill Wilkie Sinclair
C: Billings Jones MacKenzie
HF: Higgins Membrey Gresham
F: Butler King Sharman
R: Ryder Steele Crouch
Int: Hannebery Marshall Clark Ross

I think something like this would be the starting team. It's up for guys like Byrnes, Bytel, Paton, Highmore, Wood, Leo and all the newbies to force their way in.

It will be interesting to see which youngsters get in the side.
I’d have Highmore ahead of Coffield at this point TBH. Much stronger at intercept marking. Also if you are going to have Hill, Wilkie and Sinclair across HB then you are going to need some extra height.

Don't be ridiculous, no one ever swaps out Sharman. He's the lock, the others are just baubles on his tree. I'd clear out the entire front 50 and have 17 other players sure up defence. Cooper can do the rest.
Cooper to become the new GOAT...bookmark it 😊 Can see it now Webster hitting him lace out from the wing for goal no. 5.❤️

I really hope we haven’t broken his goal kicking over pre season. Imagine we come back and he can’t hit the side of a barn door
Well if he is having 10 shots at goal a game...I am happy for him to have the yips...and then sort them out. Max did it, Membrey, so there is a wealth of knowledge there for him to learn from if so required.
Speaking of Sharman having 10 shots at goal a game...who is the youngest winner of the Coleman Medal I wonder?

I’d have Highmore ahead of Coffield at this point TBH. Much stronger at intercept marking. Also if you are going to have Hill, Wilkie and Sinclair across HB then you are going to need some extra height.
Honestly I reckon Coff and Highmore both play round 1 but I'm stuffed if I can figure out how to fit them both in along with all our other half backs.

Battle is the other that could find a spot although it seems he might be injured.

Last edited:
Really is going to be hard to pick our best team that is going to play round one.
Hannerbery has hardly played and expecting him to play much next year , you would have to be dreaming and in saying that Ryder has only played 12 games and 14 the year before so it will be interesting how many games he can play this year.
Jones also needs to get over his injury problems as well.
Then you have Gresham and Paton who have come off major injuries will be under huge pressure to get up to speed as quick as possible because positions are going to be hard to secure.
Sharman was sensational but really can we expect the kid who played 4 games to cement his spot in the team - if he does he is something special.
Webster will be hard to get out of the team going on his form last year and his current top 10 time trail would have to be a first and Byrne looks to be going from strength to strength with his top 10 trail as well.
Whatever happens next year Marshall needs to be playing all season because to me he is a vital cog in our team , having a ruck who can pickup 20 odd possessions a game can turn a game.
We now have a strong list with huge upside and it is going to be interesting who is going to have a breakout season because we have a lot of young guys getting to the age to really put it together.
The players would of seen all the negative media how poor the team performed and the heat would of really pushed the players to attempt to get to next level so I fully expect a major turn around from last year.

Well if he is having 10 shots at goal a game...I am happy for him to have the yips...and then sort them out. Max did it, Membrey, so there is a wealth of knowledge there for him to learn from if so required.
Speaking of Sharman having 10 shots at goal a game...who is the youngest winner of the Coleman Medal I wonder?

Sharman with the yips is when he only nails 8 of those 10.

My guess:

FB: Highmore Howard Webster
C: Clark Steele Dmac
F: Butler King Marshall

R: Ryder Crouch Jones

Int: Sharman Billings Coffield Ross

If all of Crouch, Steele, Jones and Gresham are playing plus Clark and Ross who can also play in the middle it’s hard for me to see Bytel in there straight away unless he absolutely bangs the door down or plays a shut down role to develop.

Guessing Webster will play over Paton because Ratten will be feeling the heat and will go with the more experienced player and there’s only so much room for half backs.

Big fan of Byrnes but I think he’ll have to force his way into the team which he will. One injury and he’s in.

Forward line is a bit slow, still think we’ll need guys like Kent and Long in there for their pace.

Again that’s my guess for what the team will be not what I’d do.

Highmore Howard Webster
Hill Wilkie Sinclair
Byrnes Steele McKenzie
Higgins Membrey Gresham
Butler King Sharman

Marshall Crouch Jones

Billings Coffield Clark Ryder (?)

Emerg: Ross, Bytel, Connelly, Long, Wanganeen-Milera, Owens

Who Knows: Hannebery, Geary, Wood

Sandringham: Joyce, Kent, Windhager, Peris, Kyle, Adams, Campbell

Not convinced at all that Ryder will make it to the line but great if he does. If not, think we’ve got to play Marshall as lone ruck unless he can’t physically. In which case, Campbell 😩.

Byrnes on the right wing and McKenzie on the left works well. Both competitive beasts who link well.

Webster has the small defender spot to start for sure.

Otherwise it’s a pretty settled line up, thankfully.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Highmore Howard Webster
Hill Wilkie Sinclair
Byrnes Steele McKenzie
Higgins Membrey Gresham
Butler King Sharman

Marshall Crouch Jones

Billings Coffield Clark Ryder (?)

Emerg: Ross, Bytel, Connelly, Long, Wanganeen-Milera, Owens

Who Knows: Hannebery, Geary, Wood

Sandringham: Joyce, Kent, Windhager, Peris, Kyle, Adams, Campbell

Not convinced at all that Ryder will make it to the line but great if he does. If not, think we’ve got to play Marshall as lone ruck unless he can’t physically. In which case, Campbell 😩.

Byrnes on the right wing and McKenzie on the left works well. Both competitive beasts who link well.

Webster has the small defender spot to start for sure.

Otherwise it’s a pretty settled line up, thankfully.

Webster Joyce Wilkie
Sinclar Howard Connelly
Dtrain Steele Hill
Sharman MarshallHiggins
Membrey King Butler
Ryder Clarke Jones
Billings Crouch Highmore Byrnes

Coz I make comments, on other people's opinions, not necessarily round 1 team, however one I would certainly like to see, couldn't find a spot for Gresham...however if Joyce came out, 😔 and Highmore took his backline spot then Gresham gets a spot on the pine.

Last edited:
The Herald Sun's best 22 today was mediocre in my opinion, so I did my own.

Emergencies listed in order of preference. Players not on the emergency list too young or surplus to requirements.

B Wilkie Howard Paton
HB Sinclair Coffield Hill
C McKenzie Crouch Billings
HF Higgins Membrey Gresham
F Sharman King Butler
R Marshall Steele Clark
B Ryder Jones Bytel Connolly
E Byrnes Highmore Hannebery Long Geary Ross Webster Battle Wanganeen-Milera Heath

Someone told me Paton was going very well. It was in a PM so won't disclose who it was that told me but I think it sounds like Webster might be in trouble if he is. Gresham I hope plays predominantly forward with some on-ball time to protect his body.
A real underrated side of Paton's game was his leap which really helped his intercept game. I hope he comes back as good as new. I'd like to see Gresh still rotate through the midfield with a little bit more time forward. Ranked 4th in the club for centre clearance career averages so I would hope he gets a high ratio of centre bounce attendances.

Ryder - Steele - Crouch
Ross - Jones - Gresham

Marshall/Clark/Bytel/McKenzie/ rotating through?

My guess:

FB: Highmore Howard Webster
C: Clark Steele Dmac
F: Butler King Marshall

R: Ryder Crouch Jones

Int: Sharman Billings Coffield Ross

If all of Crouch, Steele, Jones and Gresham are playing plus Clark and Ross who can also play in the middle it’s hard for me to see Bytel in there straight away unless he absolutely bangs the door down or plays a shut down role to develop.

Guessing Webster will play over Paton because Ratten will be feeling the heat and will go with the more experienced player and there’s only so much room for half backs.

Big fan of Byrnes but I think he’ll have to force his way into the team which he will. One injury and he’s in.

Forward line is a bit slow, still think we’ll need guys like Kent and Long in there for their pace.

Again that’s my guess for what the team will be not what I’d do.
good call i reckon

A real underrated side of Paton's game was his leap which really helped his intercept game. I hope he comes back as good as new. I'd like to see Gresh still rotate through the midfield with a little bit more time forward. Ranked 4th in the club for centre clearance career averages so I would hope he gets a high ratio of centre bounce attendances.

Ryder - Steele - Crouch
Ross - Jones - Gresham

Marshall/Clark/Bytel/McKenzie/ rotating through?
I think we need to start using Ross as more depth and have Byrnes or bytel take his place. Gotta get as many games into those boys as possible. But on paper and if fit we actually look pretty good in the guts

Someone told me Paton was going very well. It was in a PM so won't disclose who it was that told me but I think it sounds like Webster might be in trouble if he is. Gresham I hope plays predominantly forward with some on-ball time to protect his body.

Paton/Webster will form a great pairing when it comes down to lockdown defenders in 2022

Can only be good to have competition

It must be weird being a young player in a team environment like that, being friends with them, but also hoping like mad for your own opportunity.
Meaning you either need someone to play worse than you, or to get injured.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back