Prediction Round 1 2022 Team

Remove this Banner Ad

Bytel is going to have to show a fair bit of improvement if he's going to take Ross's spot.

He also probably needs to show he can be more versatile.

Ross was top 7 again in the best and fairest. I'll be amazed if he isn't in the 22 round one
I made the point that im hoping Bytel or Conolly go past some. I dont dislike Ross but i think both those guys probably offer somethinghe doesnt (if they improve enough).

Id also say if Hanners is fit he probably takes Ross spot, we do have some depth at that possie (4th/5th mid)

I made the point that im hoping Bytel or Conolly go past some. I dont dislike Ross but i think both those guys probably offer somethinghe doesnt (if they improve enough).

Id also say if Hanners is fit he probably takes Ross spot, we do have some depth at that possie (4th/5th mid)

We really need some of our players to make the leap to the next level.

Byrnes , Bytel, Clark, Coffield the main ones.
I really liked the look of Connelly , but i think we'll be waiting a bit longer.

I won't do the best 22 as they hardly select them each week. This is more just how we might line up. I can't wait to see a team of hungry Zebs pushing up! Heath and Battle filling key forward roles there, maybe they'll swap Battle and Allison. You'd think Paton would be next to come in once he's up and going.

Saints
FButlerKingSharman
HFBillingsMembreyHiggins
CClarkJonesHill
HBSinclairHighmoreCoffield
BWebsterHowardWilkie
RRyderSteeleCrouch
IMarshallHanneberyRoss
Gresham
Zebras
FKentHeathLong
HFWoodBattleOwens
CConnollyWindhagerWanganeen-Milera
HBMcKenzieAdamsAllison
BPatonJoyceGeary
RCampbellBytelByrnes

Post draft:

AFL

Webster - Howard - Wilkie
Highmore - Battle - Sinclair
Hill - Crouch - Billings
Gresham - Membery - Higgins
Marshall - King - Butler
Ryder - Steele - Jones
Clark - Hannebery - Coffield
Sharman

VFL

Geary - Joyce - Paton
Connelly - Adams - McKenzie
Windhager - Ross - Wanganeen-Milera
Long - Wood - Owens
Allison - Heath - Kent
Campbell - Bytel - Byrnes
Peris - Kyle - ** - **

Given we can expect Hanners and Jones to generally miss games you’d expect Byrnes, Bytel and Ross to still see a lot of games. Hopefully at least one if not both of Byrnes and Bytel can lock themselves into the 22 by the end of the year. Expecting Paton to push Webster (or Battle or Coffield if they don’t recapture form) out at some point. I would actually expect to see Wanganeen-Milera, Owens and hopefully Windhager play some games, given all three could potentially rotate through the wings, forward and back depending on what we need at the time. May be fighting with DMac for that role. Speaking of DMac I’d expect him to be floating around the 22 as well. Possibly often on the wing depending on where Billings and Hill end up settling. Hopefully Clark spends most of his time as a midfielder only rotating into defence rather than the other way around. Gresham I’d like to see starting forward and taking his turn in the middle to win some of those clean centre breaks we know he can.

Geary I’d expect to still see in saints colours most of time tbh I’m just not sure where exactly he fits in these days

Last edited:
FB:PatonHowardHighmore
HB:CoffieldWilkieSinclair
C:HillSteeleBillings
HF:SharmanMembreyHiggins
FF:MarshallKingButler
R:RyderJonesCrouch
INT:ClarkGreshamRossMcKenzie
SUB:Wanganeen-Milera
E:HanneberyKentWebsterBattle

Best 22:
B: Webster, Howard, Highmore
HB: Sinclair, Wilkie, Hill
C: McKenzie, Jones, Billings
HF: Higgins, Membrey, Gresham
F: Butler, King, Marshall
R: Ryder, Steele, Crouch
Int: Clark, Ross, Coffield, Sharman

Reserves:
B: Paton, Joyce, Allison
HB: Connolly, Battle, Geary
C: NWM, Hannebery, Owens
HF: Kent, Wood, Windhager
F: Peris, Campbell, Long
R: Heath, Bytel, Byrnes
Int: Kyle, Adams

Really tough bench to pick, would have loved to have found a spot in the side for Paton/Battle/Bytel/Byrnes.

SENIORS

FB: Wilkie, Howard, Webster
HB: Highmore, Battle, Sinclair
R: Ryder, Crouch, Jones
C: Hill, Steele, Billings
HF: Higgins, Marshall, Membrey
FF: Butler, King, Sharman
IC: Gresham, Coffield, Clark, Ross

RESERVES

FB: Paton, Adams, Geary
HB: Connolly, Joyce, McKenzie
R: Heath, Byrnes, Hannerbery
C: Wanganeen-Milera, Bytel, Owens
HF: Windhager, Allison, Kent
FF: Long, Campbell, Wood
IC: Peris, Kyle

Delicious

(Log in to remove this ad.)

AFL

B: Paton Howard Wilkie
HB: Sinclair Highmore Webster
C: Hill Crouch Billings
HF: Gresham Membrey Higgins
F: Marshall King. Butler
FOL:Ryder Steele. Jones

Int: Clarke, Hanners, Ross, Sharman

VFL

B: Connelly Adams. Battle
HB: Coffield Joyce Long
C: Wanganeen Byrnes. McKenzie
HF: Windhager Allison. Kent
F: Wood. Heath. Peris
FOL: Campbell Bytel Owens

Int: Kyle

AFL

B: Paton Howard Wilkie
HB: Sinclair Highmore Webster
C: Hill Crouch Billings
HF: Gresham Membrey Higgins
F: Marshall King. Butler
FOL:Ryder Steele. Jones

Int: Clarke, Hanners, Ross, Sharman

VFL

B: Connelly Adams. Battle
HB: Coffield Joyce Long
C: Wanganeen Byrnes. McKenzie
HF: Windhager Allison. Kent
F: Wood. Heath. Peris
FOL: Campbell Bytel Owens

Int: Kyle
It's going to be hard to pick the team , I suppose it will come down to injuries and who is performing in the preseason games.
I fully expect Battle , Coffield , Connolly , Byrne will be putting heat on the players in your 22.
Hopefully the VFL can get more than 6 or 8 games in next year so the kids can get development.

It's going to be hard to pick the team , I suppose it will come down to injuries and who is performing in the preseason games.
I fully expect Battle , Coffield , Connolly , Byrne will be putting heat on the players in your 22.
Hopefully the VFL can get more than 6 or 8 games in next year so the kids can get development.
Exactly right. I’d like to see Byrnes stick in the midfield at Sandy developing to what we need rather than in and out of ths 1’s on the HF flank. Connolly just needs a few kegs and find it 15-20 time more often than not. Coffield is behind Geary in the pecking order off last years form IMO. Without injuries he wouldn’t have got back in the side last year. Really hope he lifts.

It will be curious to see who is going to take that next step up with our younger guys. Bytel, Byrnes and Connolly should all be better with this season under their belt playing senior games. I think Battle needs to make a statement- get fitter, get more of the ball. Looking forward to pre-season games.

It will be curious to see who is going to take that next step up with our younger guys. Bytel, Byrnes and Connolly should all be better with this season under their belt playing senior games. I think Battle needs to make a statement- get fitter, get more of the ball. Looking forward to pre-season games.

Battle was 4th in the January 3km time trial 2020, and 7th 2021.

SENIORS

FB: Wilkie, Howard, Webster
HB: Highmore, Battle, Sinclair
R: Ryder, Crouch, Jones
C: Hill, Steele, Billings
HF: Higgins, Marshall, Membrey
FF: Butler, King, Sharman
IC: Gresham, Coffield, Clark, Ross

RESERVES

FB: Paton, Adams, Geary
HB: Connolly, Joyce, McKenzie
R: Heath, Byrnes, Hannerbery
C: Wanganeen-Milera, Bytel, Owens
HF: Windhager, Allison, Kent
FF: Long, Campbell, Wood
IC: Peris, Kyle

Delicious
To kick off the year at full strength , the senior side seems about right. 👌
I don't have either Hannerberry or Geary in my best either. And I hope the younger guys step up early in the season so they are not required. The Webster/ Paton position will largely depend on how well Paton returns from injury . Looking at both your sides, t's a really solid list isn't it, without being spectacular.

I won't do the best 22 as they hardly select them each week. This is more just how we might line up. I can't wait to see a team of hungry Zebs pushing up! Heath and Battle filling key forward roles there, maybe they'll swap Battle and Allison. You'd think Paton would be next to come in once he's up and going.

Saints
FButlerKingSharman
HFBillingsMembreyHiggins
CClarkJonesHill
HBSinclairHighmoreCoffield
BWebsterHowardWilkie
RRyderSteeleCrouch
IMarshallHanneberyRoss
Gresham
Zebras
FKentHeathLong
HFWoodBattleOwens
CConnollyWindhagerWanganeen-Milera
HBMcKenzieAdamsAllison
BPatonJoyceGeary
RCampbellBytelByrnes
I think I'd rather put Owens in the midfield instead of Windhager since Windy is comfortable as a goal kicker.

Is this the right time to mention Owens goal-kicking exploits in his school football games?
Our side now is stacked with incredible talent in the forward line , most probably the best in the AFL.
Having the speed of Butler , the I.Q of Higgins , the guile of Gresham , the contested marking of King , the al-round ability of Membery and then throw in a resting ruckman in Marshall and the new kid Sharman and even Billings spending some time forward anyone trying to get time in the the forward line are dreaming.
We have X-factor by the truck load and if Hill and the midfield can get first dibs on the pill it's going to be beautiful to watch.

The kids are going to need to be next level to even be considered.

Our side now is stacked with incredible talent in the forward line , most probably the best in the AFL.
Having the speed of Butler , the I.Q of Higgins , the guile of Gresham , the contested marking of King , the al-round ability of Membery and then throw in a resting ruckman in Marshall and the new kid Sharman and even Billings spending some time forward anyone trying to get time in the the forward line are dreaming.
We have X-factor by the truck load and if Hill and the midfield can get first dibs on the pill it's going to be beautiful to watch.

The kids are going to need to be next level to even be considered.

We just need to spray it forward.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back