B: Paton Howard Wilkie
HB: Coffield Battle Highmore
C: Hill Steele Jones
HF: Billings Marshall Gresham
FF: Higgins King Membrey
FOLL: Ryder Crouch Clark
INT: Butler Ross Sinclair Long

Emg: Connolly Byrnes Webster Sharman

Depth: Bytel, Geary, Joyce, McKenzie, Allison, Heath, Lonie, Dunstan, Hannebery, Wood, Kent, Frawley

kernelT

Can go any club
Aug 15, 2010
Chiraq
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Louis Slungpue
Let's hope we find a few players who are best 22 because we'll be moving plenty on by the looks.

Wilkie Howard Paton
Sinclair (New player) Highmore
Hill Steele Clark
Higgins King Membrey
Butler King Marshall

(New player) Crouch, Gresham

Int Jones, Webster, Coffield, New player

Emg McKenzie, Hannebery, Bytel, Connolly, Byrnes,

Gone (8/13): Ross, Dunstan, Billings, Battle, Lonie, Kent, Frawley, Ryder, Wood, Clavarino, McKernan, Hunter, Alabakis,

Ducky Tie

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 15, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Seen enough from Sharman to put him in at full strength. Has natural forward craft. Six goals in 10 quarters. Assuming Ryder is available, I don’t like Marshall as the third tall. He’s excellent as the second ruck but he doesn’t hit the scoreboard enough in the role. King, Membrey and Sharman as permanent forwards. Marshall and Ryder’s forward outputs a bonus.

Assuming Dunstan is gone. Also a decent chance one of Billings/Ross are gone but will include them both. Paton will need some time to build back up after such a bad injury.

Defence stills feel a little bit sure but got to play to our strengths with what we have I guess.

Highmore Wilkie Webster
Clark Howard Sinclair
Hill Crouch Ross
Gresham Membrey Sharman
Marshall King Higgins
Ryder Steele Jones
Coffield McKenzie Billings Byrnes

Not including Hanners - anything from him is a bonus. Equally as in the mix as those on the bench, and could easily be in the team pending pre-season form:
Bytel, Butler, Battle, Connolly.

JG22

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 12, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
The big thing going into next year is that I don't see us adding anyone from other clubs to boost us, we have to do it from within.

Absolutely no issue with that, many teams have done that. Many many teams have failed to rise with big recruits.

Max is going to be vital, I reckon he's turned the corner and will go past his brother next year.

Ruck/fwd still an unknown future. Row was so poor in the ruck tonight. If all fit Ryder starts ruck and Row fwd/ruck.

Highmore will start, just has too much ability. Can be significant for us. I think Wood might start.

Jade Gresham the biggest boost after the past 2 years.

B: Paton, Howard, Highmore
HB: Sinclair, Wilkie, Coffield
C:Ross, Clark, Billings
HF:Membrey, King, Gresham
F:Butler, Marshall, Higgins
R:Ryder, Steele, Crouch
I:Hill, Jones, Ross, Hanneberry,

Veer Right

Premium Platinum
May 11, 2019
AFL Club
St Kilda
Highmore Wilkie Webster
Hill Howard Sinclair
Byrnes Steele Connolly
Higgins Membrey Sharman
Butler King Gresham
Marshall Jones Crouch
Mckenzie Coffield Clark Ryder

Keep Dunstan - better then everyone else as a mid that's not in the starting spots. He can take Coffields spot if he stays.
Trade Billings, Ross - Need their draft picks and over them both.
Don't want Gresham in the middle unless it's for a burst as his defensive game is ordinary.
Paton my second favourite player at the club left out. No one can know if he will be the same coming back from a double break. Auto in if he hasn't lost anything.

Not sure on the side for next year but the club need to stick to a few non negotiables IMO, playing the likes of Highmore/Sharman/Bytel/Byrnes/Connolly regularly would be a start. We haven't gone hard at the draft for a few years and we're at a point that we need to begin finding the talent that's already on the list. If we can bring in 3-4 players from the national and rookie drafts and clear out some of the older deadwood I feel like our list will be better placed.

Our 22 each week should be horses for courses, but overall I think we have about 20 players that would be in the best 22 of most sides but the growth will come from player 21-35, and they'll need to be able to play a role if we have injuries.

In the shambles of what has been 2021, we can say pretty confidently that we've found some good young talent. If we had stagnated this year and none of the youth stepped up then I think we'd be in a far worse position. At least now we know who can play and who can't.

Let's hope we find a few players who are best 22 because we'll be moving plenty on by the looks.

Wilkie Howard Paton
Sinclair (New player) Highmore
Hill Steele Clark
Higgins King Membrey
Butler King Marshall

(New player) Crouch, Gresham

Int Jones, Webster, Coffield, New player

Emg McKenzie, Hannebery, Bytel, Connolly, Byrnes,

Gone (8/13): Ross, Dunstan, Billings, Battle, Lonie, Kent, Frawley, Ryder, Wood, Clavarino, McKernan, Hunter, Alabakis,
Is new player any good ?

D2D3

Club Legend
May 20, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
Very early punt:

FB: Webster - Howard - Highmore
HB: Paton - Wilkie - Sinclair
CL: Clark - Steele - Hill
HF: Billings - Membery - Higgins
FF: Marshall - King - Butler
RR: Ryder - Crouch - Gresham
Int: Dunston/Ross* - Byrnes - Coffield
Hannebery

Next in line: Sharman, Battle, Connolly, Bytel, 1st round DP, Wood, Kent/Long, Joyce/Clav

*I personally don’t think we are getting enough value to let go of any of Dunston, Ross or Billings but I somewhat expect one to be gone. However I think if we kick all of them out and try to start another rebuild I think we’ve lost the plot. If anything this year has shown us it’s that we need more depth not less.

I also don’t expect Hannebery to playing that many games and wouldn’t mind seeing us trying out all of Membery, Sharman, King, Ryder and Marshall in the same team to see if it works. We did manage to go pretty well with the big 4 + Wood at stages this year but I think Wood has more ground level game than Sharman at this stage.

Looking for Clark, Coffield and Butler to get back to their 2020 form or better.

Last edited:

Veer Right

Premium Platinum
May 11, 2019
AFL Club
St Kilda
Very early punt:

FB: Webster - Howard - Highmore
HB: Paton - Wilkie - Sinclair
CL: Clark - Steele - Hill
HF: Billings - Membery - Higgins
FF: Marshall - King - Butler
RR: Ryder - Crouch - Gresham
Int: Dunston/Ross* - Byrnes - Coffield
Hannebery

Next in line: Sharman, Battle, Connolly, Bytel, 1st round DP, Wood, Kent/Long, Joyce/Clav

*I personally don’t think we are getting enough value to let go of any of Dunston, Ross or Billings but I somewhat expect one to be gone. However I think if we kick all of them out and try to start another rebuild I think we’ve lost the plot. If anything this year has shown us it’s that we need more depth not less.

I also don’t expect Hannebery to playing that many games and wouldn’t mind seeing us trying out all of Membery, Sharman, King, Ryder and Marshall in the same team to see if it works. We did manage to go pretty well with the big 4 + Wood at stages this year but I think Wood has more ground level game than Sharman at this stage.

Looking for Clark, Coffield and Butler to get back to their 2020 form or better.

Missed Jones

Aug 25, 2008
Aisle 38
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
LFC, #DubNation, Storm
B: Wilkie, Howard, Paton
HB: Coffield, B. King, Sinclair
C: Hill, Crouch, Billings
HF: Higgins, Membrey, Clark
F: Marshall, M. King, Gresham
Foll: Ryder, Steele, Jones

Int: Ross, Byrnes, Butler, McKenzie
Emerg: Webster, Highmore, Bytel

Gone: Dunstan, Lonie, Frawley, McKernan,

Gotta get Bing this year, don't want to get into a bidding war with every other team if he comes out of contract next season. If it takes this year's and next years firsts, so be it.

Sully111

Premiership Player
Jun 10, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
B: Paton, Howard, Highmore
HB: Sinclair, Wilkie, Coffield
C:Hill, Steele, Billings
HF:Sharman, King, Gresham
F:Butler, Marshall, Higgins
R:Ryder, Jones, Crouch
I:, Clark , Byrnes, Bytel, Battle

Sub: Connolly

Emg: Dmac, Membery, Webster/Dunstan

No Billings then Dmac takes his spot.

Its a common theme that the only two players who are going to make us a better side next year are Gresh and Patton and both are coming off bad injuries and we are still relying on Paddy to be the main ruck , IMO that's an 8th -10th team , we still have a lot of work to do before we are going to challenge for a flag.

Sully111

Premiership Player
Jun 10, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
Its a common theme that the only two players who are going to make us a better side next year are Gresh and Patton and both are coming off bad injuries and we are still relying on Paddy to be the main ruck , IMO that's an 8th -10th team , we still have a lot of work to do before we are going to challenge for a flag.

We need to get games into Bytel, Byrnes, Connolly, Sharman, etc

Not to mention Clark and Coffield

Back Battle in

If we plod along next year and go "ok" without playing our young talent i'll tear my hair out.

Be bold next year and back our young guys in with a view to having a real crack in 2023.

That's the way forward imo.

Saying all this, Max King is our X factor. Who knows what's possible with him in the side.

We need to get games into Bytel, Byrnes, Connolly, Sharman, etc

Not to mention Clark and Coffield

Back Battle in

If we plod along next year and go "ok" without playing our young talent i'll tear my hair out.

Be bold next year and back our young guys in with a view to having a real crack in 2023.

That's the way forward imo.

Saying all this, Max King is our X factor. Who knows what's possible with him in the side.
Coff and Clark both need to do the hard yards pre season and get fit , i mean super fit , its their 5 season so time to stop giving them excuses
Sharman could be a real weapon with his attributes , skill plus a football brain
Leo i think will take massive steps next year , no doubting he is going to be a very good player
Ryan really needs to work on his kicking , has a horrible ball drop and has no penetration ATM , also needs to get more involved in the play , stands back way too much
Bytel needs Luke to take an offer elsewhere so he gets more time in the guts as im not sure he can play forward ?
Battle , stick him CHB and just leave him there

May 12, 2006
Lal Lal
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Elsternwick AFC
These can be fun exercises:

Defenders: Howard, Wilkie, Paton, Sinclair, Coffield, Highmore, Webster
Midfielders: Steele, Ross, Crouch, Jones, Gresham, Hill, Clark and Ryder
Forwards: King, Membrey, Marshall, Higgins, Butler, Geary, Sharman

Not listed: Carlisle, Dunstan, Hannebury, Lonie, Billings, Long, Bytel, Frawley, Kent, Battle, McKernan, Allison, Byrnes, Wood, McKenzie, Connolly, Clavarino, Joyce, Hunter, Heath, Alabakis

Last edited:

JG22

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 12, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
Luke Dunstan probably has to go because Jade Gresham should come raring to go next year full time mid. Need someone else with something in the guts, no one really jumping at me, might have to be Hunter.

Been thinking try Brad again on the wing after a big pre season but probably won’t work like it often hasn’t.

Feb 16, 2012
Brunswick East
AFL Club
St Kilda
I think this is what I would do..

List Changes

Delisted: Hunter, Carlisle, Lonie, Alabakis
Retired: Roberton, Frawley, McKernan
Traded out: Ross
Free agency out: None

Traded In: Mid 2nd round pick (say 30) for Ross
Drafted in: -Best Mid (1st Rd ND i like Callahan so far but whatever- Owens, Windhager, siebly, Peris and maybe one more rookie as we’ve been nailing them for a few years now.
Traded in: None (however I would trade our first pick this year and next year for Ben King and he would play at CHF) I don’t imagine that’s a possibility this year though sadly.

Notes on list:
- Ross is the player that has the most value to other sides I think. I’m not sure he’ll get much interest but he already players for the opposition each week so shouldn’t be too difficult a transition for him.
- Keeping Billings has been extremely hard done by through injury and just because he isn’t bont we’re going to cut our ‘losses’ for a 2nd rd pick? No thanks I’ll take a experienced 25yo gun ball user willing to play through injury and can play a couple of positions.
- Keeping Dunstan for depth unless a big offer comes which would give us another early 2nd. Very unlikely.
- Had enough of Lonie, few gone past him now.
- Kent just gets another year for me. Useful back up and has been damaging as a link player despite some obvious downfalls. This is assuming we can offer him a much lower salary. Otherwise I’m happy to push him out.
- Long same as above
- Claverino same as above but would just add that if we cut him now as he’s just maturing into his body we are genuinely taking the piss. Doesn’t seem like he’s going to be a gun CHB but he needs a better run at it.
- Joyce same as above. I would like him to grab a rd 1 spot next year as our 2nd key def by putting on a bit of size now he’s 24yo. I think he could be useful still and there aren’t any mature key backs around.
- Not thrilled about Geary playing on.

Round 1 Team 2021

B: Webster, Howard, Highmore
HB: Hill, Battle, Wilkie
C: Hannebery, Steele, McKenzie
HF: Butler, Membrey, Gresham
F: Marshall, King, Higgins
R: Ryder, Jones, Sinclair
I: Crouch, Clark, Sharman, Billings

S: Coffield

E: Byrnes, Bytel, Wood, Connelly

Notes on team:

Battle to get first run at CHB with Joyce waiting as back up. Claverino third string.
Sinclair deserves a run on ball now. Could be a real weapon with his stoppage speed and agility, clean hands and clever disposal at speed. What a season. Should be runner up b n f.
Loved mcKenzies output this year- far sight from the bad old days. Deserves a good run at it again.
Probably a pipe dream with hanners but if he’s fit he’s in otherwise Byrnes bytel and dunstan can mud wrestle for that spot. Although I’d like to see Coffield trialed as a defensive winger with a license to float back and intercept.
Hopefully some of our young guys can dominate at sandy and grow their games again before banging the door back down. Sharman probably also fits into this category but I couldn’t leave him out on what he’s shown so far.
I genuinely don’t know where to put hill. He just needs to be better and make the wing work.

Sandringham:

Dunstan
Byrnes
Wood
Bytel
Paton (just to start)
Heath
Joyce
Connelly
Kent
Long
Claverino
Allison
1st ND Selection
Owens
Windhager
Sielby
Peris
Geary
Last rookie spot

Makes 42 all up and very little dead wood but still some experienced back ups.

Last edited:
Luke Dunstan probably has to go because Jade Gresham should come raring to go next year full time mid. Need someone else with something in the guts, no one really jumping at me, might have to be Hunter.

Been thinking try Brad again on the wing after a big pre season but probably won’t work like it often hasn’t.
You think Hill is unfit do you ? Ha Ha

These can be fun exercises:

Defenders: Howard, Wilkie, Paton, Sinclair, Coffield, Highmore, Webster
Midfielders: Steele, Ross, Crouch, Jones, Gresham, Hill, Clark and Ryder
Forwards: King, Membrey, Marshall, Higgins, Butler, Geary, Sharman

Not listed: Carlisle, Dunstan, Hannebury, Lonie, Billings, Long, Bytel, Frawley, Kent, Battle, McKernan, Allison, Byrnes, Wood, McKenzie, Connolly, Clavarino, Joyce, Hunter, Heath, Alabakis
Whats not listed mean ?

Back