Prediction Round 1 2022 Team

Remove this Banner Ad

He's not retiring, and I think he's the best option as a pressure forward. It was him or Ben Long.
Great , yeah lets bring back another bloke that cant kick , you can never have too many of them

How many games did we throw away from immature attitude/lack of effort early this year?
Hard lessons have been taught to a young group this year.

Only look at our results post bye, they are learning, 4 wins, no shame in losses to top teams in port and cats(robbed by umps)
Only just lost to wce.
Carlton was an outlier but coming back from 2 weeks isolation.

As it sits we are 2 wins away from 7th.
After a horror run of injuries and the toughest draw in the league.

An easier draw, a better run with injuries 🤞🏻🤞🏻
the maturity of another year in the system and the tough lessons learnt in 2021...
The hunger, having missed finals.
Blooded Leo, Byrnes, Sharman, highmore.
Gresh and paton return.
Clark and coff to take it up a notch.
Kings about to set it off.

14 wins 2022 and a return to September action.

that’s with what we have, if we can add in a CHB and a fast running mid.... sky’s the limit.

You think Hill is unfit do you ? Ha Ha
Ive been thinking does he try and build some strength over summer or something but its kind of a nonsensical idea, you can't really change that now. Play to your strengths.

With Hilly its kind of like were stuck with him, were just desperate to make it work.

First time poster, hopefully this goes alright. Just wanted to get my 22 out there ahead of round 1, but have no idea how the offseason goes so liable to be completely wrong come march. Also assuming no injuries obviously.

B: Webster Howard Highmore
HB: Coffield Wilkie Sinclair
C: Hannebery Crouch Hill
HF: Higgins Membrey Butler
F: Marshall King Shaman
R: Ryder Steele Jones
I/C: Gresham Clark Billings DMac

Emergencies: Ross Paton Byrnes Bytel
Next in line: Connolly, Wood, Long and Kent , can see all of them playing games next year too if we get hit with anywhere near the number of injuries we got this year.
The Rest: Battle, Clav, Joyce, Geary, Lonie

Couple of comments: 20 of the 22 i'm pretty sure about, Ross and Paton (assuming he gets back to 2020 form) might come in for DMac and Billings/Webster, though i am a massive Dmac fan and think his season was actually a little bit underrated. Had a huge impact on the games that we won, hate to see him not get the opportunity to keep building. Same goes for Webster, every bit as good a season as Paton had in 2020. 24 doesn't go into 22, is a good problem to have.
Hill and Billings both had bad seasons, if they have poor preseasons/starts to the year then some of the young guys might look to grab their spots - have enough runs on the board not to be left out for now though. Other than that, i'd expect Hannebery/Ryder/Jones to miss their usual chunk of games, so looking forward to connolly/byrnes/bytel in particular getting plenty of opportunity to develop. Long and Kent both handy too, Kent in particular had a good end to the season and has the experience to be a valuable enough inclusion as needed.

Biggest deficiency is probably a second tall down back to help out howard, though wilkie and highmore (and maybe Coffield?) seem capable of performing as undersized bigs. Marshall and Membrey capable of playing as roaming bigs too, but obviously needed at the other end of the ground. Unless we pull an unexpected move in the trade period, Battle/Clav/Joyce might get a look in, all are solid but just have others ahead of them (sad to see Battle fall out of favour this season, was bullish on him last year)

Midfield core of Steele, Jones and Crouch is better than we've had in years, with Gresham/Clark/Sinclair(?) all handy through there too. Bytel and Ross decent cover as well, fingers crossed this is the first season in what must be a decade that we go in with a competitive midfield. Marshall and as much of Ryder as we can possibly get is still so crucial to this going well though.

Maybe decades as a saints fan have made me eternally optimistic and easily satisfied, but bullish about the cattle that we have - recent years have shown great teams have needed a down year before periods of sustained success, and just about everything that could go wrong in 2021 did. I'm most excited to see King take another step forward, Shaman continue his meteroic rise, and picking Hunter Clark to be our breakout player this year. Too classy not to arrive.

First time poster, hopefully this goes alright. Just wanted to get my 22 out there ahead of round 1, but have no idea how the offseason goes so liable to be completely wrong come march. Also assuming no injuries obviously.

Next in line: Connolly, Wood, Long and Kent , can see all of them playing games next year too if we get hit with anywhere near the number of injuries we got this year.

Couple of comments: 20 of the 22 i'm pretty sure about, Ross and Paton (assuming he gets back to 2020 form) might come in for DMac and Billings/Webster, though i am a massive Dmac fan and think his season was actually a little bit underrated. Had a huge impact on the games that we won, hate to see him not get the opportunity to keep building. Same goes for Webster, every bit as good a season as Paton had in 2020. 24 doesn't go into 22, is a good problem to have.
Hill and Billings both had bad seasons, if they have poor preseasons/starts to the year then some of the young guys might look to grab their spots - have enough runs on the board not to be left out for now though. Other than that, i'd expect Hannebery/Ryder/Jones to miss their usual chunk of games, so looking forward to connolly/byrnes/bytel in particular getting plenty of opportunity to develop. Long and Kent both handy too, Kent in particular had a good end to the season and has the experience to be a valuable enough inclusion as needed.

Biggest deficiency is probably a second tall down back to help out howard, though wilkie and highmore (and maybe Coffield?) seem capable of performing as undersized bigs. Marshall and Membrey capable of playing as roaming bigs too, but obviously needed at the other end of the ground. Unless we pull an unexpected move in the trade period, Battle/Clav/Joyce might get a look in, all are solid but just have others ahead of them (sad to see Battle fall out of favour this season, was bullish on him last year)

Midfield core of Steele, Jones and Crouch is better than we've had in years, with Gresham/Clark/Sinclair(?) all handy through there too. Bytel and Ross decent cover as well, fingers crossed this is the first season in what must be a decade that we go in with a competitive midfield. Marshall and as much of Ryder as we can possibly get is still so crucial to this going well though.

Maybe decades as a saints fan have made me eternally optimistic and easily satisfied, but bullish about the cattle that we have - recent years have shown great teams have needed a down year before periods of sustained success, and just about everything that could go wrong in 2021 did. I'm most excited to see King take another step forward, Shaman continue his meteroic rise, and picking Hunter Clark to be our breakout player this year. Too classy not to arrive.
Welcome aboard Jim. Great first post. Really hard to argue with your best 22.

Absolutely agree that DMac's season was fantastic. Even if he didn't always get huge stats, the small acts he would do to create some space for a teammate or pressure the opposition made a huge difference. And we were undefeated in games where he kicks a goal. If he can keep that form next year, it will be one of the all time great career turn arounds.

Welcome aboard Jim. Great first post. Really hard to argue with your best 22.

Absolutely agree that DMac's season was fantastic. Even if he didn't always get huge stats, the small acts he would do to create some space for a teammate or pressure the opposition made a huge difference. And we were undefeated in games where he kicks a goal. If he can keep that form next year, it will be one of the all time great career turn arounds.

Thanks mate!
Dmac's just a nice guy too, good to see the quiet hard workers eventually get rewards - lucky we gave him that long contract a few years back! Billings and hill are who he would be competing with for a wing spot, they've got the class over him obviously (though his kicking came on heaps this season), but you'd back him in on effort and courage.

Thanks mate!
Dmac's just a nice guy too, good to see the quiet hard workers eventually get rewards - lucky we gave him that long contract a few years back! Billings and hill are who he would be competing with for a wing spot, they've got the class over him obviously (though his kicking came on heaps this season), but you'd back him in on effort and courage.
His effort and desire are his two biggest strengths. And is surprisingly tough. Did a few bumps this year that were fair but flattened his opponent and gave our midfield a harder edge it lacks at times. Him being a more defensive minded wing compared to both Hill and Billings being attack gives us a nice balance.

There is a spot there for him - we can play either Hill at half back or have Billings split his time forward to fit DMac into the side.

Very good first post Jim.

With Billings signing up I have done my usual summary of the list and round 1 picks. What do you think?View attachment 1235310View attachment 1235312View attachment 1235317

A31B3496-7927-438A-B7F0-4135795190CC.jpeg
My lord. Add to that pick 9, hopefully Windhager and Owens then we have a young core to be extremely bullish about… not to mention a possible Bing 2023.

Also, a forward line of Gresh, Membrey, Higgins, Sharman, Butler and King is very good on best form. Have to see the proof in the pudding but, that looks very promising. Throw in rotating rucks who can score, alongside some dangerous mids and we should get some high score on the board.

View attachment 1235516
My lord. Add to that pick 9, hopefully Windhager and Owens then we have a young core to be extremely bullish about… not to mention a possible Bing 2023.

Also, a forward line of Gresh, Membrey, Higgins, Sharman, Butler and King is very good on best form. Have to see the proof in the pudding but, that looks very promising. Throw in rotating rucks who can score, alongside some dangerous mids and we should get some high score on the board.
Unfortunately that would be one of the worst 18-20 batch in the comp I'm guessing.

We really need to nail this year's draft.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Unfortunately that would be one of the worst 18-20 batch in the comp I'm guessing.

Yeah totally. 18-20 nothing amazing as it stands. 20-23 quite strong. I forgot to add something - what I wanted to say originally was that given our absolute lack of draft picks I’m actually pretty happy with where we are at, IF as you point out, we NAIL this draft. Already started with Sharman and Heath (I’d wager he’s a good prospect) so keep it going Saints!

Yep, if you had your time again you'd have chased Langdon over Hill and used the Hill picks at the draft.

HB: Sinclair Battle Wilkie
C: Hill Steele Billings
HF: Gresham Marshall Higgins
F: Butler King Membrey
R: Ryder Crouch Jones
INT: Clark Coffield Sharman Ross
Too soft needs more cow bell (D-Train)

B: Highmore Howard Webster
HB: Sinclair Battle Wilkie
C: Hill Steele McKenzie
HF: Butler Membrey Higgins
F: Marshall King Billings
R: Ryder Jones Gresham
INT: Clark Coffield Sharman Crouch
SUB: Byrnes
EMERG: Bytel Ross Hannebery Paton Connelly

Sandringham
B: Geary Joyce Paton
HB: Connelly Allison Bielby*
C: Owens* Hannebery Windhager*
HF: Long --- Kent
F: Peris* Heath Lonie
R: Hunter Ross Bytel
INT: Ward* Kyle* --- ---

Last edited:

Bit harsh l reckon. Byrnes gets a tick, Leo showed enough for mine and the other two haven't played. We lack volume of players so lets see in 6 weeks ay?

Bit harsh l reckon. Byrnes gets a tick, Leo showed enough for mine and the other two haven't played. We lack volume of players so lets see in 6 weeks ay?
I think most clubs would have 2 players equal to or better than Byrnes and Connolly IMO and then have more volume on top of that.

I think most clubs would have 2 players equal to or better than Byrnes and Connolly IMO and then have more volume on top of that.
This is what makes me unsure about the Bing proposition. I change my mind regularly on whether it would be the right move. Going for him would likely give us a five year window from 19-23 where we pretty much abandon the first round of the draft. Assuming we gave up 2 x 1st rounders for him at the end of next year, it'd leave our draft hand like this:

2019: No picks in the top 20.
2020: No picks in the top 20.
2021: Pick 11
2022: No picks in the top 20.
2023: No picks in the top 20.

That looks worse in isolation when you step back and look at the overall age demographic of the list and also when you factor in the youth of King x 2. It is still a significant dearth of first round talent to be bringing in over a serious chunk of time, particularly from a midfield perspective. It exposes the list to a genuine risk of continued midfield mediocrity, particularly in a post peak Steele world.

I see both sides of it and could probably convinced either way, but there are risks involved.

Exactly. Most clubs would have 1 or 2 first round picks and 1 or 2 seconds as well.

We got:
1x 2nd (effectively)
1x 3rd
1x 4th
1x MSD

And Coops just misses out. It'll be a vastly better group post the rookie draft.

This is what makes me unsure about the Bing proposition. I change my mind regularly on whether it would be the right move. Going for him would likely give us a five year window from 19-23 where we pretty much abandon the first round of the draft. Assuming we gave up 2 x 1st rounders for him at the end of next year, it'd leave our draft hand like this:

That looks worse in isolation when you step back and look at the overall age demographic of the list and also when you factor in the youth of King x 2. It is still a significant dearth of first round talent to be bringing in over a serious chunk of time, particularly from a midfield perspective. It exposes the list to a genuine risk of continued midfield mediocrity, particularly in a post peak Steele world.

I see both sides of it and could probably convinced either way, but there are risks involved.

Bing is a different player to Max as well. He's low possession but very accurate. He's a lead up forward more than a crashing packs type. If Sharman comes on like he has been it would be a real dilemma. It probably means moving Membrey or Sharman on potentially.

If you captured 2017 and 2018 and included players traded in, you have: Ming, Bing, Bytel*, Clark, Coff, Snaggs, #11.

Effectively 1x FRDP per year over 7 years except that 2 of them are hand selected.

That in itself isn't amazing but it demonstrates we've kept pace with talent intake whilst doing a 3/4 rebuild in 3 or 4 seasons.
We shouldn't underestimate what is some amazing list work. Some just can't see the forest for the trees right now.

B: Highmore Howard Webster

HB: Sinclair B King Wilkie

C: Hill Steele Coffield

HF: Butler Membrey Higgins

F: Marshall M King Billings

R: Ryder Jones Gresham

INT: Clark Sharman Crouch Owens

SUB: Ross

Remove this Banner Ad

Back