Prediction Round 1 2022 Team

AirWinmar

Premiership Player
Jun 18, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
That’s kind of why when Dmac came in he had such an impact even with low disposals. Firstly he’s very defensive minded and he’s a marking threat with great toughness. He also started to back himself tucking the ball under. Obviously I’m a massive of Dmac I just think he brought a noticeable addition to the team.
100% and I was never a fan of Dmack, but he has played some solid games on the wing, good defensively and in the air and also has good 2 way speed. I think playing in the backline excentuated the headless chook in him as well.

Oct 2, 2010
AFL Club
St Kilda
He has all the right attributes, another one who can't get the ball enough.
He's only had 20 disposals 5 times in his career, but three of those were 2021.
I think with DMac, a lot of his value was the work he would do off the ball to get a teammate space to run into or give them time to win the ball.

Example rd1, he only had 9 disposals but he probably got JB and Hill another 10 between them just from the defensive running he was doing.

Oct 18, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
St Kilda, Ocean Grove Collendina Cobras
A Geelong game I think in 2020 Blicavs and Menegola monstered Billings and Hill on the wings. A tall winger can definitely have a great advantage, but they need to be able to play the position well and the structure needs to be used to take advantage eg: using Battle if we kick long down the line to a pack he is unlikely to mark it, when the ball hits the ground his agility gets exploited
Instead of trying to turn someone (Battle, Wood etc) into a tall winger (ie one who can mark and has pace and agility) perhaps we might just play Mitch Owens on the wing.

Jan 14, 2012
The River Murray
AFL Club
St Kilda
Where else are you going to fit him if we end up with two Kings, Marshall and Membrey?
Marshall plays ruck, King plays Marshall's role and he plays exactly where he's been playing.

Either that or one plays for Sandy.

Or, we back him in and don't give up a huge price for Bing.

This is why I think it's worth waiting to see how he goes this year.

SufferingS8INT

Club Legend
Dec 17, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
Webster Howard Wilkie
Sinclair Battle Highmore
Hanners Steele Paton
Billings Marshall Membrey
Butler King Gresham

Ryder Jones Crouch

Clark, Higgins, Dmac, Hill

EMG: Bytel, Sharman, Coffield, Byrnes

Depth: Ross, Connelly, Campbell, Wood,

- Dmac is the only questionable choice but I just love what he brings and he can turn games with his grunt and 1% efforts.

- I can’t honestly put Ross in our best 26 players anymore. His kicking is too much
- I’m backing Battle to lock down that CHB position, he has all the tools and offers versatility if there is an injury up front.

- Paton is too good of a player to be confined to a lockdown position.Can see him tearing apart a wing position and Ratts did mention it as a possibility a while ago.

- Hanners will play if fit, his experience and voice can’t be understated, especially with Geary unlikely to play much football. (This probs pushes Coffield out, hopefully this makes him hungry to win his spot back!)

Marshall plays ruck, King plays Marshall's role and he plays exactly where he's been playing.

Either that or one plays for Sandy.

Or, we back him in and don't give up a huge price for Bing.

This is why I think it's worth waiting to see how he goes this year.

One King would have to back up ruck. Probably Ben realistically.

lewdogs

Cancelled
Saints Pledge Contributor
Jun 4, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Arsenal, Portland Trailblazers
B: Coffield Howard Webster
HB: Hill Wilkie Sinclair
C: Billings Jones MacKenzie
HF: Higgins Membrey Gresham
F: Butler King Sharman
R: Ryder Steele Crouch
Int: Hannebery Marshall Clark Ross

I think something like this would be the starting team. It's up for guys like Byrnes, Bytel, Paton, Highmore, Wood, Leo and all the newbies to force their way in.

It will be interesting to see which youngsters get in the side.

g_TRAIN

Near a spoon
Jun 15, 2006
Sydney
AFL Club
St Kilda
I'm hopeful round 1 will look something like this. Though leaving out guys like Webster, Battle, Ross, Bytel, and Coffield.

BPatonHowardHighmore
HBHillWilkieSinclair
CBrynesCrouchHannebery
HFBillingsSharmanHiggins
FButlerKingMembery
RRyderSteeleJones
INTMarshallGreshamClark
Mckenzie

I'm hopeful round 1 will look something like this. Though leaving out guys like Webster, Battle, Ross, Bytel, and Coffield.

BPatonHowardHighmore
HBHillWilkieSinclair
CBrynesCrouchHannebery
HFBillingsSharmanHiggins
FButlerKingMembery
RRyderSteeleJones
INTMarshallGreshamClark
Mckenzie

Marshall starting on the bench ,and only sharing 50% ruck time with Ryder is a massive No from me.

g_TRAIN

Near a spoon
Jun 15, 2006
Sydney
AFL Club
St Kilda
Marshall starting on the bench ,and only sharing 50% ruck time with Ryder is a massive No from me.

I doubt that would happen.

I may have him listed on the bench but that's just because I think Paddy should always take the first center bounce.

I think he should spend more time on the ground than Paddy overall and rest forward when not rucking at least 50% of the time.

ScrappyDo

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 29, 2018
Omnipotent
AFL Club
St Kilda
B: Wilkie Howard Webster
HB: Coffield Battle Highmore
C: Ross Jones MacKenzie
HF: Higgins Membrey Billings
R: Marshall Steele Crouch
Int: Sinclair Byrnes Clark Hill

Emg: Bytel Ryder Wood Kent

I have to assume that Gresh, Pato and Hanners won't be available. I'm not sure how we'd try to beat Grundy but it's probably the GOAT that goes out for Paddy if they go that way.
I'd drop Ross for Bytel in a heartbeat but it won't happen, especially since it's round 1.

maanco

Club Legend
Oct 24, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Kpd
Howard, Joyce, Adams

Kpd/Intercepters
Wilke, Battle, Highmore, Alison

Medium defenders
Webster, Coffield

Defenders
Patton, Geary, Long

Wing/HBF
Sinclair, Peris, Connolly, Hill

In/out mid
Ross, Byrnes, Hannerbery, Clark, Owens

Inside
Steele, Crouch, Bytel, Jones

Wing
McKenzie, Wanganeen

Fwd/mid
Gresham, Windhanger

Fwd/wing
Billings, Wood

Small Pressure forward
Butler, Kent

Creative forward
Higgins, Kyle

Tall forward
King, Sharman,
Membrey

Ruck
Ryder, Marshall, Heath, Campbell

maanco

Club Legend
Oct 24, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Coffield, Howard, Wilke
Sinclair, Highmore, Hill
McKenzie, Crouch, Hannebery
Billings, Marshall, Sharman
Gresham, King, Butler

Ryder, Steele, Jones

Clark, Membrey, Higgins, Bytel

maanco

Club Legend
Oct 24, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Coffield, Howard, Wilke
Sinclair, Highmore, Hill
McKenzie, Crouch, Hannebery
Billings, Marshall, Sharman
Gresham, King, Butler

Ryder, Steele, Jones

Clark, Membrey, Higgins, Bytel
Membrey to play as a utility. Rotating into defence if required.

Probably a bit too tall up forward, Sharman could be swapped out for Webster/Patton if required.

Probably a bit too tall up forward, Sharman could be swapped out for Webster/Patton if required.

Membrey's not playing to his strengths if he's a utility rotating into defence.
Particularly he's not good at fast ball movement. His first instinct seems to be to mark it, then go back and take the shot.

maanco

Club Legend
Oct 24, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Membrey's not playing to his strengths if he's a utility rotating into defence.
Particularly he's not good at fast ball movement. His first instinct seems to be to mark it, then go back and take the shot.
Don't disagree but it might be where the coach wants him playing, for the betterment of the team.

Mowman

Cancelled
Day Off
Veteran St Kilda - Marcus Windhager Player Sponsor 2023 10k Posts St Kilda - Marcus Windhager Player Sponsor 2022 St Kilda - James Frawley Player Sponsor 2021 Saints Pledge Contributor St Kilda - Doulton Langlands Player Sponsor 2020 St Kilda - Robbie Young Player Sponsor 2019
May 19, 2013

Membrey is nothing but a forward

Don't be ridiculous, no one ever swaps out Sharman. He's the lock, the others are just baubles on his tree. I'd clear out the entire front 50 and have 17 other players sure up defence. Cooper can do the rest.

So why does he rotate down back at the end of quarters, and play as an extra / interceptor.

Because we can't concentrate for long periods and get teams hit us with late goals. He drops back as a spare with no actual opponent and just drifts across to cut it off. Playing as a spare and an actual defender are very different.

So why does he rotate down back at the end of quarters, and play as an extra / interceptor.
Because he's got a good vertical leap and can take a contested grab?

Doesn't mean we should play him permanently as a utility because he spends 5 minutes a game somewhere else lol

PlayerNumber9

Number 9
Mar 6, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
B: Wilkie Howard Webster
HB: Coffield Battle Highmore
C: Ross Jones MacKenzie
HF: Higgins Membrey Billings
R: Marshall Steele Crouch
Int: Sinclair Byrnes Clark Hill

Emg: Bytel Ryder Wood Kent

I have to assume that Gresh, Pato and Hanners won't be available. I'm not sure how we'd try to beat Grundy but it's probably the GOAT that goes out for Paddy if they go that way.
I'd drop Ross for Bytel in a heartbeat but it won't happen, especially since it's round 1.

I wouldn’t be looking to play Battle as a defender against Collingwood as they lack key forwards. As such, swap him for Ryder and start Sinclair down back.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Back