Preview Round 1, 2022 v The Western™️ (TBC)

Club wants to play the Dogs in R1 and unfurl the flag in front of them apparently.

absolute 👑 s**t

55D144CC-FF77-4FF9-B673-99379BF756BE.jpeg

Last edited:
Honestly I would prefer Geelong or Essendon. I like the GF replay being seperate from Round 1, it gets more of a build up.

I do like the attitude from the club though, they clearly see the value in building up this rivalry.

Last edited:

rhaz

Cancelled
Jun 30, 2008
AFL Club
Melbourne
Might sound weird but I wouldn't mind playing Round 1 against an interstate team like GWS or Freo at the MCG. Saturday afternoon so all ages can attend, and unveil the flag in front of a purely Melbourne crowd. See how many people we can draw when it's just our fanbase.

Then play Sydney at the MCG on Friday night in Round 2. Franklin needs 5 goals for 1000, hopefully he'd kick a few in round 1 to give a very tasty opportunity to hit 1000 in round 2. Could draw a HUGE crowd.

Last edited:
Might sound weird but I wouldn't mind playing Round 1 against an interstate team like GWS or Freo at the MCG. Saturday afternoon so all ages can attend, and unveil the flag in front of a purely Melbourne crowd. See how many people we can draw when it's just our fanbase.

Then play Sydney at the MCG on Friday night in Round 2. Franklin needs 5 goals for 1000, hopefully he'd kick two or three in round 1 to give a very tasty opportunity to kick it in round 2. Could draw a HUGE crowd.
Franklin enters game with 999 goals. 80,000 at the G to watch him get to 1000. May keeps him scoreless again.

Last edited:

Then play Sydney at the MCG on Friday night in Round 2. Franklin needs 5 goals for 1000, hopefully he'd kick a few in round 1 to give a very tasty opportunity to hit 1000 in round 2. Could draw a HUGE crowd.
I was also thinking an interstate team for round one to get a big Melbourne crowd in. Friday night though preferably Sydney or Brisbane.

Buddy should kick his 1000 goal in front of a home crowd.

Bangkok Knights

Debutant
Jun 22, 2021
AFL Club
Melbourne
AFL stopped the practice of grandfinalists playing each other in R1 years ago didnt they?
Sick of hearing about Cerra & Carlton.
Spoiled kid wants the world at his feet right now.Typical of millenials.
Love to see Viney run straight through him early in the season and carried off feet first.
I want to see some payback next year. Hibberd will be up for it. He's not going anywhere.

2022 ladder predictions.... assuming clubs have good seasons & few injuries.
GWS and Sydney on top with Melb & Dogs making up the four.
Bottom four Coll Carlton Stkilda and Suns.
GWS and Sydney are the Dees biggest threat if those two can avoid key injuries.
GWS bats aloooong way down the list thanks to the AFL commission.
Geelong likely to scrape into the eight with dads army. Their home ground advantage is absurd. They were given their own dedicated modern stadium.
They'll be gifted atleast 9 games there next year.

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2017
Adelaide
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Liverpool, AC Milan, North Adelaide
Would love to see it as a Saturday afternoon game and get the families along.

Carlton would be my preferred opponent, surely there sick of playing Richmond Round 1 every year.

V unlikely it happens next year. I imagine Dunstan will be in and out of the early rounds next year, Hibberd looks on thin ice judging by selection towards the end of this year, Laurie and whoever we take at 17 wil be vying for selection + there’s JJ, Weideman, Melksham and Hunt. So if it doesn’t happen in the first month or two before Tomlinson comes back, it almost definitely never will.

Apr 12, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
Be interesting next year with Tomlinson fit how much we rest May. Like Viney he is injury prone but one of the first picked for a big game. I believe in playing your best 22 when you can but no doubt they'll manage the two guys I just mentioned throughout the year.

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
We should be looking to play in Perth 4 times a year. Could build a mini supporter base out there

mrmonkey

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 3, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
We should be looking to play in Perth 4 times a year. Could build a mini supporter base out there
Will the wa government allow this? Seriously though I'm not even sure the AFL would allow it. I remember when we were really s**t, we requested playing a home game at Adelaide oval the afl said no because we can only do it in the expansion market.

Back