Preview Round 1, 2022 v The Western™️ (TBC)

Remove this Banner Ad

Will the wa government allow this? Seriously though I'm not even sure the AFL would allow it. I remember when we were really sh*t, we requested playing a home game at Adelaide oval the afl said no because we can only do it in the expansion market.
Sarcastic mate lol

UPDATED (Hore & Declase delisted as of 18/10/21):

Return Fixtures I'd Like: Sydney, Western Bulldogs, Essendon, Richmond, Gold Coast

Return Fixtures They'll Give Us: Port Adelaide, Geelong, Western Bulldogs, Richmond, Essendon

Predicted Round 1 Lineup:

FB: Salem May Lever
HB: Bowey Petty Rivers
C: Brayshaw Harmes Langdon
HF: Petracca Weideman Pickett
FF: Spargo B. Brown Fritsch
RUC: Gawn Oliver Viney
INT: Jackson Hunt Neal-Bullen Sparrow
SUB: Jordon

EMERG: McDonald Tomlinson Dunstan Hibberd

DEPTH (in order of likeliness to be picked):
DEF: J. Smith D. Smith Turner
MID: Laurie Woewodin Baker Rosman
RUC: Daw
FWD: Melksham Chandler Bedford M. Brown
+ 3 Senior Players & 1-2 additional rookies

Main predictions are Weid to make a big effort over summer and train well to replace T. McDonald. The Tomlinson/Petty battle will also be of interest.

Predicted Fixture (if I'm bang on I deserve a medal):

Round 1: Friday Night 25th March vs. Essendon (Home - MCG)
Round 2: Saturday Afternoon 2nd April vs. Carlton (Away - MCG)
Round 3: Friday Night 8th April vs. Geelong (Home - MCG)
Round 4: Thursday Night 14th April vs. Port Adelaide (Away - Adelaide Oval)
Round 5: Sunday Night 24th April vs. Richmond (Away - MCG - ANZAC Day Eve)
Round 6: Friday Night 29th April vs. GWS (Home - MCG)
Round 7: Friday Night 6th May vs. Western Bulldogs (Home - MCG)
Round 8: Saturday Twilight 14th May vs. Fremantle (Away - Perth Stadium)
Round 9: Friday Night 20th May vs. Brisbane Lions (Away - Gabba)
Round 10: Sunday Afternoon 29th May vs. Adelaide (Home - MCG)
Round 11: Saturday Twilight 4th June vs. Gold Coast (Home - TIO Traeger Park)
Round 12: Monday Afternoon 13th June vs. Collingwood (Away - MCG - Queen's Birthday)
Round 13: Sunday Afternoon 19th June vs. North Melbourne (Home - MCG)
Round 14: Sunday Afternoon 26th June vs. St. Kilda (Home - MCG)
Round 15: BYE
Round 16: Friday Night 8th July vs. Port Adelaide (Home - MCG)
Round 17: Saturday Afternoon 16th July vs. Hawthorn (Away - MCG)
Round 18: Saturday Night 23rd July vs. Richmond (Home - MCG)
Round 19: Thursday Night 28th July vs. Sydney (Away - SCG)
Round 20: Sunday Afternoon 7th August vs. Western Bulldogs (Away - Docklands)
Round 21: Sunday Afternoon 14th August vs. West Coast (Home - MCG)
Round 22: Saturday Night 20th August vs. Essendon (Away - MCG)
Round 23: Saturday Night 27th August vs. Geelong (Away - Kardinia Park)

Other Predictions:

Grand Final: Melbourne vs. Brisbane Lions
Premiers: Melbourne
Norm Smith: Christian Petracca
Brownlow: Christian Petracca
Coleman: Harry McKay (CARL)
Rising Star: Jason Horne-Francis (NM)

Keen to see everyone else's predictions!

Last edited:

Some one mentioned playing the bombers round 1 that would be great imo, only problem is the government restrictions with covid hard to imagine even 75% capacity at the mcg atm.
Can’t see any reason why they wouldn’t allow 100% fully vaxxed spectators by then

Last edited:
Play the suns at 3:20 Saturday afternoon and pack the ground with 90k+ Melbourne fans to see the flag unveiled. Belt them by 100, then out for dinner and drinks!

Note: I’ve deleted all of the above as it derails the thread. Apologies for crossing the streams all.

Last edited:
Some one mentioned playing the bombers round 1 that would be great imo, only problem is the government restrictions with covid hard to imagine even 75% capacity at the mcg atm.

You forget, if we play Esserdun it has to be their home game due to genuinely no reason whatsoever that I can tell. Did Dodoro make some kind of trade demand that if we ended up with Melksham and Hibberd we would never get to play a home game?

You forget, if we play Esserdun it has to be their home game due to genuinely no reason whatsoever that I can tell. Did Dodoro make some kind of trade demand that if we ended up with Melksham and Hibberd we would never get to play a home game?
You are quite correct, it's been something that's done my head in for years. Since 2010 we only play essendon as the away team with the exception of 2019. We get them only once a year and often at night as well or at least how I remember it. We played them in round 2 in 2013 and 2016 and not again that season probably a good thing in 2013.

Didn't we agree to play the Cats only once a year but had to be at the Cats home ground ? Maybe ask the club what they ask for first before being critical of the Fixtures we end up with .

Maybe , maybe not.
There is no logical explanation as to how the AFL concocts the "Fixtures" other than the wishes of the clubs and the AFL .
I think Geelong want to play most games at kp but the big games at the mcg like against Hawthorn or Collingwood. Of course Melbourne being s**t for so long cop it year after year. Even Richmond had to go down there in 2017. I think Carlton may have gone down there in 2020 but when is the last time the big Vic clubs been down there? Collingwood, Essendon, Hawthorn they'll never play Richmond there again, it's always saints Bulldogs and the dees.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cant imagine MFC requesting games at Kardinia P, Norf in Tasmania, Crows in Adelaide. enough is enough. bulldogs played Norf twice at Marvel..in21 ..eagles in perth ? up to mfc/afl....we have good support at optus.
we deserve 16 mcg games 2 marvel 4 interstate at max
time for red carpet riders hawthorn and collingwood to hit the road incl the cattery first time this century!

fate definitely on our side in 2014- 15 drafts
saints picked mccartin instead of petracca OOPS... and dees initially picked mills in 15 but swans countered it and won him we had to settle for someone else........ C.Oliver.

List profile going into season 2022
*Ages at START of next season

Improvement

Bowey (Going into 2nd season) 19yr
Rivers (Going into 3rd season) 20yr
Pickett (Going into 3rd season) 20yr
Jackson (Going into 3rd season) 20yr
Sparrow (Going into 4th season) 21yr
James Jordon (Going into 4th season) 21yr
Petty (Going into 4th season) 22yr
Spargo (Going into 5th season) 22yr

Should stay at same level
Oliver (24yr)
Petracca (25yr)
Gawn(30yr)
Salem (26yr)
Harmes (26yr)
Viney (27yr)
Lever (26yr)
May (30yr)
Brayshaw (26yr)
Fritsch (25yr)
Neale bullen (26yr)
E.Langdon (26yr)
B.Brown (29yr)

Possible Regression
T.Mcdonald (29yr)
Hibberd (32yr)
Melksham (30yr)

Possible new players
Bailey Laurie (pick #22 in 2020 National Draft)
Luke Dunstan
Unknown Player (pick #19 in 2021 National draft) *After f/s
Fraser Rosman (pick #34 in 2020 National Draft)

If Gus can make games like the GF his standard that would be huge - did the disciplined winger stuff well throughout this year and his intercepting was strong, but he can definitely do more in the position. Also feel like Lever can go to another level still.

Yes. Everyone under 23 will improve. Every between 25-30 will the stay the same and everyone who already sucks gets worse.
Until the Roos rebuild we were utterly amazing at having young players come in, look good in their first one to two seasons and then at best become solid b graders and at worst be out of the system by year 4 after turning to mud in year 3. Bruce and Green were in the former category, Morton, Gysberts and Tapscott in the latter.

I actually wouldn't mind playing a game in NZ.

NZ about the same distance to Perth or much closer than effing Darwin. Thats OK. They probably dont have a suitable stadium though. Another Tassie.
I'd rather we play in Afghanistan against the Taliban All Stars than play the Crows in Adelaide.
Feral club.

Last edited:
Na the MFC/MCC should grow a spine and tell the AFL what they want, either get Geelong at the G in the home and Away for once, ditto WCE
I wouldn't be apposed to playing Geel at Skilled.
Get Collingwood twice in a year for once, most vic clubs x 2 except North and Saints
WCE in Vic would be a treat, Sydney X 2 would be alright.

Realistically you'd probably only see us play GC, North, Saints, GWS, Freo and Adelaide Once. If we Play Geelong give it to us at the G, same with WCE.
Means we have to play Freo over there

obviously would love to get some of the AFL's big 4 more than once (Carlton, Rich, Collingwood, Essendon?) Normally we get Carlton x 2, but Collingwood and Richmond twice a year would be a treat.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back