Preview Round 1 2022 - Adelaide vs Fremantle, March 20, 2022

How many wins for the Crows in 2022?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

You don't have Gollant as forward fringe? I thought he was one of the big bright spots from last year.
I knew I would miss someone.

Will edit my post.

I have to ask..., Why 15 and not 16? or even 14?

It’s a very complicated formula involving - inter alia - McAdam’s work ethic & aerobic capacity, Sloane’s likelihood of injury, the circumference of Fogarty’s lower legs, and something Terry ‘The List Manager” Wallace calls the ‘Tom Lynch hole’.

I could explain it to you in detail but you wouldn’t understand it.

It’s a very complicated formula involving - inter alia - McAdam’s work ethic & aerobic capacity, Sloane’s likelihood of injury, the circumference of Fogarty’s lower legs, and something Terry ‘The List Manager” Wallace calls the ‘Tom Lynch hole’.

I could explain it to you in detail but you wouldn’t understand it.

I am pretty good at understanding algorithms.

Bit rude to be talking about tom lynch's hole. I am sure its no different to anyone elses besides some ginger tuffs

I’m really looking forward to selections next year, so little dead wood to worry about.

Basically none. Really only going to be playing burdened by injury that would bring a senior player into selection discussion. But what we've heard from Burgess so far suggests that might not be a worry either. I doubt Brown was training much on his Achilles last year. If Burgess is true to his word, Brown would have found himself in rehab much sooner. Lynch too. Here's hoping.

Basically none. Really only going to be playing burdened by injury that would bring a senior player into selection discussion. But what we've heard from Burgess so far suggests that might not be a worry either. I doubt Brown was training much on his Achilles last year. If Burgess is true to his word, Brown would have found himself in rehab much sooner. Lynch too. Here's hoping.
The only players that will frustrate me if they are constantly selected if their form doesn’t warrant it and now that we have options are Murphy and Rowe. I just don’t see them as serious talent.

Then it will be consistently playing Sloane in the middle if he can’t recapture his form and not rotating enough players through.

Finally want to see Worrell get a decent run.

But because we have so many new players our side is constantly going to be fresh and full of young developing talent.

The only players that will frustrate me if they are constantly selected if their form doesn’t warrant it and now that we have options are Murphy and Rowe. I just don’t see them as serious talent.

Then it will be consistently playing Sloane in the middle if he can’t recapture his form and not rotating enough players through.

Finally want to see Worrell get a decent run.

But because we have so many new players our side is constantly going to be fresh and full of young developing talent.

The depth of the midfield rotation is the key that unlocks everything else. Improved defensive spread helps our defenders out as better delivery forward improves the guys ahead of the ball. More mids equals fresher guys in there so more speed and intensity at and out of the contest.

Murphy is playing with an arm tied behind his back with the idiotic pressure forward role. Unless you're sitting on an oppo playmaker, a forwards primary goal must be to win the ball. If you're not doing that it's easy to get lost and find yourself out of position to do anything useful at all. Each forward player needs to apply pressure when they don't win the ball, it can't be a player's sole purpose to cover the weaknesses of others. Charlie did it ok because he was blisteringly quick, he's the exception, not the rule. Even then, you want him focussing on winning the pill first and foremost. Tackling and pressure is a non-negotiable plan B when opponents win possession.

Rowe I reckon is limited as he was near a finished product in footy terms. I'm not going to call it yet though as he might be improved with another preseason. He could get a bit faster and to more contests if he strips a lot fitter. Plus we might see him getting used as a forward target if we get some better legs in the midfield. The long and deep imperative might create crumbs and be good for defending when you turnover possession, but removing the opportunity to lead up and take marks makes a forwards task harder.

Assuming Rowe can get fit enough, both these guys would be better for a squirt up the ground here and there too. Again, deepening the midfield rotation is the key to improved outcome everywhere else.

Last edited:
The depth of the midfield rotation is the key that unlocks everything else. Improved defensive spread helps our defenders out as better delivery forward improves the guys ahead of the ball. More mids equals fresher guys in there so more speed and intensity at and out of the contest.

Murphy is playing with an arm tied behind his back with the idiotic pressure forward role. Unless you're sitting on an oppo playmaker, a forwards primary goal must be to win the ball. If you're not doing that it's easy to get lost and find yourself out of position to do anything useful at all. Each forward player needs to apply pressure when they don't win the ball, it can't be a player's sole purpose to cover the weaknesses of others. Charlie did it ok because he was blisteringly quick, he's the exception, not the rule. Even then, you want him focussing on winning the pill first and foremost. Tackling and pressure is a non-negotiable plan when opponents win possession.

Rowe I reckon is limited as he was near a finished product in footy terms. I'm not going to call it yet though as he might be improved with another preseason. He could get a bit faster and to more contests if he strips a lot fitter. Plus we might see him getting used as a forward target if we get some better legs in the midfield. The long and deep imperative might create crumbs and be good for defending when you turnover possession, but removing the opportunity to lead up and take marks makes a forwards task harder.

Assuming Rowe can get fit enough, both these guys would be better for a squirt up the ground here and there too. Again, deepening the midfield rotation is the key to improved outcome everywhere else.
I posted it about our new mosquito fleet draftees who can all play forward, maybe we won’t play traditional small forwards who get lost and you’re effectively a player down if they have quiet one, but play a deeper midfield rotating through the forward line that way they are always contributing even if quite up forward. Ties in with what your saying. Hopefully the coaches see it that way otherwise we are going to have a few wasted players.

I posted it about our new mosquito fleet draftees who can all play forward, maybe we won’t play traditional small forwards who get lost and you’re effectively a player down if they have quiet one, but play a deeper midfield rotating through the forward line that way they are always contributing even if quite up forward. Ties in with what your saying. Hopefully the coaches see it that way otherwise we are going to have a few wasted players.

And wasted years if we just run the same 4 in there until they retire or leave. Although I'm dead against a midfield group of Keays, Sloane, Laird and Crouch, I'm disappointed Matt is injured as it would have given us an early look at future strategy. I don't think we'll find out until all 4 and Schoey to be fit at the same time. Any earlier will be a pleasant surprise.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Doedee butts jones
Milera murray smith
Seedsman keays dawson
Mchenry tilthorpe cook
Rachele fogarty mcadam
Rob laird schoenberg

Berry sloane pedlar mcpherson

Saw a Burgess interview last week where he expects the AFL to continue reducing interchange rotations . If so that’s unlimited- 120- 90- 75 currently probably 60 near future. More mid rotations will have to be made from on field positions. Crouch types will use up the bench rotations making Rachele /Milera /Dawson types with hopefully high quality, high t.o.g in and out of the middle absolute gold imo.

For interest, built a team on similar size and structure to Melbourne GF team.

Biggest standout for me is they go much taller in defence.
Smith, Seedsman, Dawson quite a bit taller as outside players while our inside players are quite a bit shorter so I put Dawson starting in centre square as I think he may go in there a bit.

A comparable side would look something like this.

Doodee - Butts - Worrell
Smith - Murray - Jones
Seedsman - Keays - Sholl
McHenry - Fogarty - Sloane
Rachele - Tilthorpe - Cook

O'Brien - Dawson - Laird

Himmelberg - Pedlar - Schoenberg - Brown
Sub - Berry

I feel we have a better balance squad now with more mid and forward options and less hbf.

Just pencilling in our R1 SANFL side based on some of the preferred AFL round 1's

Hinge Borlase Parnell
Davis Frampton Worrell
Soligo Pedlar Hately
Taylor McAsey Milera
Newchurch Berg McAdam

Strachan Nankervis Rowe
Int:

Not too bad, still young /undersized around the ball which will cause issues but apart from that we should be ok.

Doedee butts jones
Milera murray smith
Seedsman keays dawson
Mchenry tilthorpe cook
Rachele fogarty mcadam
Rob laird schoenberg

Berry sloane pedlar mcpherson
the only change and I don't quite know how to accommodate it as I see the selectors will be to have Rowe in the side. As a guess, one of Berry / Pedlar misses OR maybe McPherson if they don't want to roll with another defender on interchange

Saw a Burgess interview last week where he expects the AFL to continue reducing interchange rotations . If so that’s unlimited- 120- 90- 75 currently probably 60 near future. More mid rotations will have to be made from on field positions. Crouch types will use up the bench rotations making Rachele /Milera /Dawson types with hopefully high quality, high t.o.g in and out of the middle absolute gold imo.
Thats a good point

the only change and I don't quite know how to accommodate it as I see the selectors will be to have Rowe in the side. As a guess, one of Berry / Pedlar misses OR maybe McPherson if they don't want to roll with another defender on interchange
Brown is the best small lockdown defender we have, if he's fit he is best 22 every week

Brown is the best small lockdown defender we have, if he's fit he is best 22 every week
Fair argument there..unless milera is fit, then jones and doedee can take the back pocket roles with smith and milera the attacking half backs...but then again, Brown would at least warrant a spot on interchange you'd think

AFLSANFL
Joash RachelleRiley ThilthorpeNed McHenryJames RoweEliott HimmelbergShane McAdam
Sam BerryDarcy FogartyRory SloaneLuke NankervisTaylor WalkerLachie Gollant
Paul SeedsmanBen KeaysJordan DawsonTariek NewchurchJake SoligoJackson Hately
Chayce JonesNick MurrayWill HamillLachlan MurphyJames BorlaseWayne Milera
Tom DoedeeJordan ButtsJosh WorrellLuke BrownBilly FramptonMitch Hinge

Ruck

Inter

Ruck

Inter
Reilly O'BrienFisher McAseyKieran StrachanAndrew MacPherson
Luke PedlarBrayden CookMatthew CrouchBen Davis
Harry SchoenbergRory LairdZac TaylorPatrick Parnell
Brodie SmithMatthew Wright
Lachie Sholl

B L.Brown J.Butts T.Doedee
HB W.Milera N.Murray B.Smith
C J.Dawson B.Keayes P.Seedsman
HF N.McHenry D.Fogarty S.McAdam
F J.Rachele R.Thilthorpe J.Rowe
FOLL: R.O’Brien R.Laird H.Schoenberg
INTER: R.Sloane, C.Jones, E.Himmleberg , L.Sholl
Emerg: B.Cook, F.McASEY, J.Hately, S.Berry

B L.Brown J.Butts T.Doedee
HB W.Milera N.Murray B.Smith
C J.Dawson B.Keayes P.Seedsman
HF N.McHenry D.Fogarty S.McAdam
F J.Rachele R.Thilthorpe J.Rowe
FOLL: R.O’Brien R.Laird H.Schoenberg
INTER: R.Sloane, C.Jones, E.Himmleberg , L.Sholl
Emerg: B.Cook, F.McASEY, J.Hately, S.Berry
Cook, Gollant, Berry will likely be in the team. Depends whether they use Thilthorpe in the ruck when ROB is off the ground. If they do they would likely go with Gollant over Himmelberg I would imagine. Berry over Rowe is likely as well as he has more strings to his bowe and can go through the midfield as well. With Rachele coming in the team this puts pressure on Rowe as well.

Back