AFL Club
Adelaide
Compare our Top 3 Centre Bounce attendee's to that of the top clubs

Melb ; Oliver, Petracca, Viney
Bulldogs: Macrae, Bontempelli, Libaratore
Brisbane : Lyons, Neale, Zorko

Sloane simply has to make way this year ......no ifs, or buts

View attachment 1268184

Hopefully that does happen. Bit hard last year as Berry and Pedlar were running on fumes, ROC pretty raw/average, Ned developing well in his role, Jones totally resurrected at half back and Hately groin injury. Schoey could have got more, but the rest are perfectly understandable. I'd love to see at least 6 roll through there with time toggled up and down as required. Matt Crouch the only midfield only type, so rotation should be able to run deep.

I also wonder whether Sloane's finger ruled out a role where you're leading hard at a ball coming at you from 50m away with an opponent punching your hands. I wouldn't want to be playing forward of the ball with a busted finger like his.

Nov 6, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
🇦🇺 🇦🇺 🇦🇺 West Adelaide
Hopefully that does happen. Bit hard last year as Berry and Pedlar were running on fumes, ROC pretty raw/average, Ned developing well in his role, Jones totally resurrected at half back and Hately groin injury. Schoey could have got more, but the rest are perfectly understandable. I'd love to see at least 6 roll through there with time toggled up and down as required. Matt Crouch the only midfield only type, so rotation should be able to run deep.

I also wonder whether Sloane's finger ruled out a role where you're leading hard at a ball coming at you from 50m away with an opponent punching your hands. I wouldn't want to be playing forward of the ball with a busted finger like his.
Sloane has been on the downhill slide a couple of years now ......he's also been average paced, has generally struggled to consistently play 4 Qtrs his whole career ......but now the game has sped up, and the 6 x 6 x 6 has done him in

DANGEROUS32

Senior List
Apr 27, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Hey everyone!

Apologies for the intrusion, haven't been on here for donkeys years!!!

Anyway, reading the last few pages makes me ecstatic for next year - Our backline and midfield has both quality and depth. Our forward line I'm still largely skeptical about but we'll see in time. Be interesting to see whether we groom Thilthorpe in to a full-time FF or integrate him slowly in to the Ruck position, I think he has shown enough to be a great FF. The big unknown is obviously McAsey, why he didn't play this year is my biggest mystery of the season.

This is what I would like to see us start with next year

Hamill - Butts - Doedee
Milera - Murray - Smith
Seedsman - Keays - Dawson
Cook - Fogarty - McHenry
Sloane - Thilthorpe - Rowe
ROB - Shoenberg - Laird
Sholl - McPherson - Crouch - Berry

Brown and Pedlar find themselves unlucky but could easily see themselves integrate into the 22 with a strong pre-season - THey provide good depth regardless.

I don't know or have seen enough about Gollant - Worrall - Hinge to form an opinion on whether I'd like them in the 22.

McAdam hopefully doesn't get close to the starting line-up.

I am reluctant to start Rowe because I can't see him becoming a great player but we really are skinny for small forward options, he also does possess that small forward craft which can kick some goals.

EDIT: Forgot about Murphy but seriously not a massive fan, he really has been the one to suffer from our inadequate forward line set up. He was a good small defender for our SANFL side, don't know why we never tried him as a small defender.

Last edited:

Murray2503

Cancelled
10k Posts
May 10, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Rd 1 2022 - AFL

B: Brown - Butts - Doedee
HB: Smith - Frampton/Murray - Jones
C: Dawson - Keays - seedsman
HF: Fogarty - Himmelberg - Schoenberg
FF: McAdam - Thilthorpe - McHenry

Ruck: O’Brien - Sloane - Laird

Interchange: Pedler/Berry - Hinge - Sholl - Cook

Milera, Tex and Crouch not available through injury/suspension
Would prefer Fogarty, Thilthorpe, Gollant instead of Fog, Thilthorpe, Himmelberg. Gollant is currently our best contested mark. Berg has shown very little to date. Thilthorpe to pinch hit in the ruck with ROB resting up forward.
I can't see Sholl getting a game with Smith, Jones, Seedsman, Dawson enough run and carry with Milera as backup getting fit in the SANFL.
Berry with another preseason should be an automatic inclusion in the 22 imo. Hopefully Pedlar gets his body right. I would rather Hinge start on the field and Brown finding some form in the SANFL. I'm not sold on McAdam, hopefully we pick up a small in the draft. Would prefer Murray over Frampton who I would delist when ooc.

[TD valign="top"]FF[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]McAdam[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]Fogarty[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]Himmelberg[/TD]
[TD valign="top"][/TD]

[TD valign="top"]HB[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]Sloane[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]Thilthorpe[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]McHenry[/TD]
[TD valign="top"][/TD]

[TD valign="top"]C[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]Seedsman[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]Laird[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]Dawson[/TD]
[TD valign="top"][/TD]

[TD valign="top"]Foll[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]O’Brien[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]Schoenberg[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]Keays[/TD]
[TD valign="top"][/TD]

[TD valign="top"]HB[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]Smith[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]Murray[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]Jones[/TD]
[TD valign="top"][/TD]

[TD valign="top"]FB[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]Brown[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]Butts[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]Doedee[/TD]
[TD valign="top"][/TD]

[TD valign="top"]Int[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]Milera[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]Murphy[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]McPherson[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]Hately[/TD]

[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"][/TD]

[TD valign="top"]Emerg[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]Pedlar[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]Berry[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]Sholl[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]McAsey[/TD]

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide

[TD valign="top"]FF[/TD][TD valign="top"]McAdam[/TD][TD valign="top"]Fogarty[/TD][TD valign="top"]Himmelberg[/TD][TD valign="top"][/TD]

[TD valign="top"]HB[/TD][TD valign="top"]Sloane[/TD][TD valign="top"]Thilthorpe[/TD][TD valign="top"]McHenry[/TD][TD valign="top"][/TD]

[TD valign="top"]C[/TD][TD valign="top"]Seedsman[/TD][TD valign="top"]Laird[/TD][TD valign="top"]Dawson[/TD][TD valign="top"][/TD]

[TD valign="top"]Foll[/TD][TD valign="top"]O’Brien[/TD][TD valign="top"]Schoenberg[/TD][TD valign="top"]Keays[/TD][TD valign="top"][/TD]

[TD valign="top"]HB[/TD][TD valign="top"]Smith[/TD][TD valign="top"]Murray[/TD][TD valign="top"]Jones[/TD][TD valign="top"][/TD]

[TD valign="top"]FB[/TD][TD valign="top"]Brown[/TD][TD valign="top"]Butts[/TD][TD valign="top"]Doedee[/TD][TD valign="top"][/TD]

[TD valign="top"]Int[/TD][TD valign="top"]Milera[/TD][TD valign="top"]Murphy[/TD][TD valign="top"]McPherson[/TD][TD valign="top"]Hately[/TD]

[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"][/TD]

[TD valign="top"]Emerg[/TD][TD valign="top"]Pedlar[/TD][TD valign="top"]Berry[/TD][TD valign="top"]Sholl[/TD][TD valign="top"]McAsey[/TD]

I don't mind that, except Murphy playing ahead of Pedlar or Berry. Hately would need a big preseason to pass both for round 1 as well. Milera probably struggles to make round 1 too. With those and Sloane at half forward I reckon that looks more like a round 10 side. But the strength of the bench shows how hard it is to pick a best 22. Pick 6 not there either.

I don't mind that, except Murphy playing ahead of Pedlar or Berry. Hately would need a big preseason to pass both for round 1 as well. Milera probably struggles to make round 1 too. With those and Sloane at half forward I reckon that looks more like a round 10 side. But the strength of the bench shows how hard it is to pick a best 22. Pick 6 not there either.

pick 4/6 isn’t on the list yet. Probably right in Murphy but he’s arguably our best pressure forward, sometimes it’s better to give young mids a full game at in middle at sanfl than it is to play them

Murphy will need to lift his overall output soon or be permanently pushed out of the 22, looking like another Petrenko right now.

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
pick 4/6 isn’t on the list yet. Probably right in Murphy but he’s arguably our best pressure forward, sometimes it’s better to give young mids a full game at in middle at sanfl than it is to play them

Murphy will need to lift his overall output soon or be permanently pushed out of the 22, looking like another Petrenko right now.

Only mentioned pick 6 in terms of adding to the difficulty in selecting a 22. Future decent mids shouldn't have any trouble providing similar pressure to Murphy. Plus the upside of getting games at AFL level. Few, if any, premium AFL mids spend more than a handful of games developing at the lower level.

Jan 31, 2009
New Highton
AFL Club
Adelaide
Assuming Volbeat mail on Rachele is true..

FB: T.Doedee ~ J.Butts ~ L.Brown
HB: B.Smith ~ N.Murray ~ C.Jones
C: J.Dawson ~ R.Laird ~ P.Seedsman
HF: R.Sloane ~ R.Thilthorpe ~ N.McHenry
FF: J.Rachele ~ D.Fogarty ~ S.McAdam
R: R.O'Brien ~ B.Keays ~ H.Schoenberg
B: B.Cook ~ A.McPherson ~ L.Sholl
S.Berry

Milera and Crouch to be unavailable.
McAsey could be in for Murray with a good preseason.

Pedlar, Worrell, Hamill, Hately could all feature too

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
Assuming Volbeat mail on Rachele is true..

FB: T.Doedee ~ J.Butts ~ L.Brown
HB: B.Smith ~ N.Murray ~ C.Jones
C: J.Dawson ~ R.Laird ~ P.Seedsman
HF: R.Sloane ~ R.Thilthorpe ~ N.McHenry
FF: J.Rachele ~ D.Fogarty ~ S.McAdam
R: R.O'Brien ~ B.Keays ~ H.Schoenberg
B: B.Cook ~ A.McPherson ~ L.Sholl
S.Berry

Milera and Crouch to be unavailable.
McAsey could be in for Murray with a good preseason.

Pedlar, Worrell, Hamill, Hately could all feature too

It really is hard to fit all the young talent that are worthy of a game into the 22. Of the senior players the only guy that needs to get up and going without much delay is Brown. He's another that's played under duress a fair bit the last few years, so hard to know if he's still got it when uninjured or whether he will return to a reasonably uninjured state.

Jan 31, 2009
New Highton
AFL Club
Adelaide
It really is hard to fit all the young talent that are worthy of a game into the 22. Of the senior players the only guy that needs to get up and going without much delay is Brown. He's another that's played under duress a fair bit the last few years, so hard to know if he's still got it when uninjured or whether he will return to a reasonably uninjured state.
I agree Brown could quickly get overtaken by Jones and McPherson.
Opening the door for one of Hamill and Pedlar.
Although if and when Milera is fit, someone has to miss out.

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
I agree Brown could quickly get overtaken by Jones and McPherson.
Opening the door for one of Hamill and Pedlar.
Although if and when Milera is fit, someone has to miss out.

We've got a lot of guys worthy of a game and some patience with inconsistency. And only Tex, Sloane, Brown and Seed on the way out over the next 2 years plus a couple more top 10 picks coming in. This is where I hope we just don't hold onto these younger guys until their career peters out in the 2s. We need to be moving guys on whilst they have value for pick upgrades or needs. This is a strategy we've generally not deployed in the past, but that may change.

Last edited:
Back