Women's Footy Round 1, 2023 - Brisbane Lions vs. Richmond

Who were your five best players against Richmond?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Blew some chances there. Ouch.

Can tell a our less experienced mids and half forwards need to develop some continuity together. Some real moments of miscommunication.

For the first time in a while this group will have to go backwards a little bit to go forward.

Plenty of bad calls in this game. Ridiculous adjudication of high tackles and zero holding or dropping the ball.

Honestly very poor skills. During the initial AFLW seasons, we were a side that always had good skills IMO.

Today we just looked so fumbly.

We're alot better than that, dissapointing after quarter time. Now we're 0 - 2 at Springfield.

Some work to do at the contest. Lost opportunities and a bit too casual in defence. We probably need to play a taller team a bit smarter than that.

Dawes was one of our best because she attacks everything and is clean with her hands. We really need to work on that across the team.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Might need to go through a mini rebuild, if we have the players in the academy.

As Nathan Barley mentioned, we need to get some height in the back line, and speed and skills right across the ground.

I’m not sure why Zimmy is out for the season (I don’t need to know why), but we might miss her up forward.

Umpire interpretation of the rules is woeful.This both ways and makes the game difficult to watch

Ah well, at least the AFL will be happy that our best talent has been spread around the weaker Melbourne clubs. Mission accomplished
:thumbsu:
Meanwhile the Crows and Demons rarely lose any players in comparison.

This is a big what if, but if Tayla Harris bought into the Lions, we would have won at least one more premiership, maybe more IMO.

Umpire interpretation of the rules is woeful.This both ways and makes the game difficult to watch
You would think that the slower pace would mean it was easier to umpire.

Richmond were the best team on the day, making the most og their opportunities and deserved to win.

There was a free in the second quarter where the Richmond player dived head into Taylor Smith's legs. There was hardly any contact but it was paid a free. There has to be some care taken by some players when going for the ball IMO. Cost us a goal and the momentum swung from then.

The scoring: Clubhouse end 9 goals to big screen end 2 goals. Clubhouse Tigers 6 to Lions 3.
Personally, i don't believe it favored one end.
Being at the ground the wind was blowing directly across the ground to the interchange side. Flags on grandstand confirms this.
Most of the play was on that interchange side.

Our ladies are still hard at the footy, but our kicking skills let us down badly forward of center.
Also, our goal kicking skills on a windy day (not swirling wind either) from set shots had no thought put into where they should have aimed the kick.
It is not something you should have to coach into players at this level, just common sense really.

We kicked 5 goals in total.
One minute into the second quarter we kicked our 3rd with only 2 scored for the rest of the game.

Goals
One marked inside the goal square in the first quarter by Mullens with her first kick in AFLW.
Smith kicked one right on the 9-meter line directly in from under a bit of pressure in the first.
Davidson kicked one from about 20 meters out on a very slight angle one minute into the 2nd quarter.
Conway kicked one from around the corner from the boundary line which was a good goal.
Davidson kicked another from the goal line after a 50-meter penalty.

Four of the five goals kicked were fairly easy ones really.
The set shots apart from Conways never looked a chance after leaving the boot.

I would be moving Orla from the wing onto the ball permanently.
With this new side she is wasted on the wing in my opinion.

Back