Unofficial Preview Round 1, 2023: Hawthorn v Essendon, MCG 3.20pm March 19th

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why would we not pick the best available side to win a game in Rd 1?
I'm with you. Even if it's just a development year it's always great for morale and development to have some wins. There will still be plenty of green players in the line up regardless of how we pick the team.

And I think Sam has an appreciation for how badly supporters would like a W over the scum. Particularly after what happened last year. Last thing we want is for them to start building a streak up against us.

We are in a development year and although we could go out and pick our most senior and best side every week, I have no doubt Sam will continue to try and sprinkle a bunch of inexperienced and young players into the side who need games under their belt.
Can do all that development crap from Round 2 onwards. Round 1 (& Easter Monday) are equivalent to our Grand Final - MUST WIN! 💪💪💪

*waiting for 'but a loss to * gets us closer to Harley Reid'!

Concur.

We're still just building the pieces. Mckenzie, Weddle, Brockman, Ward, McDonald, Butler, DGB will be given plenty of games.

They are the future, we are playing for the future, not the present in truth. We will always try to win, yet our youth will be given opportunity.

Morrison, Maginess, Nash, Worpel and the likes will be pushed out if they don't perform. None of these guys have set the world on fire.

If all four or three are ‘pushed out’ the results won’t be pretty and the remaining youngsters will be bashed up too.

Besides I don’t see it myself. Sam had shiny new toys last year but these guys got selected when fit and in form

If they aren’t the future, then why weren’t they moved on like omeara Mitchell sheils Howe?

I'm with you. Even if it's just a development year it's always great for morale and development to have some wins. There will still be plenty of green players in the line up regardless of how we pick the team.

And I think Sam has an appreciation for how badly supporters would like a W over the scum. Particularly after what happened last year. Last thing we want is for them to start building a streak up against us.

Can do all that development crap from Round 2 onwards. Round 1 (& Easter Monday) are equivalent to our Grand Final - MUST WIN! 💪💪💪

*waiting for 'but a loss to * gets us closer to Harley Reid'!
Post your teams, you cowards!

😌

Post your teams, you cowards!

😌
I don't dislike the team you've named. We have so much young, unproven talent on the list that could easily be considered for round 1.

I just think whatever team Sam picks for round 1 will be picked with the primary intention to win the game. That team could and probably will include some debutants, but he'll be picking them because they're the best choice to help us win.

Players still develop at VFL level. And depending on what they want a certain player to work on it's probably for the best they don't do it at AFL level.

I don't dislike the team you've named. We have so much young, unproven talent on the list that could easily be considered for round 1.

I just think whatever team Sam picks for round 1 will be picked with the primary intention to win the game. That team could and probably will include some debutants, but he'll be picking them because they're the best choice to help us win.

Players still develop at VFL level. And depending on what they want a certain player to work on it's probably for the best they don't do it at AFL level.
Just Do It Shia GIF by MOODMAN

I've got 4 debutants for Round 1. It was a struggle to name a side without leaving players out that would normally be in the 22, however I've anticipated Sam looking at getting more games into the kids again early.

FB: Hardwick Blanck DGB
HB: Jiath Sicily Scrimshaw
C: Day Worpel Amon
HF: Breust Kosi Moore
FF: Wingard Meek Greene

FOLL: Reeves, Newcombe, Ward

Inter from: Mackenzie, Brockman, MacDonald, Butler

sub. Maginness

emer. Frost, Stephens, Morrison, Nash, Impey

If we're suiting up looking for an immediate win in Round 1, then Frost, Impey, Stephens and/or Nash would find their way in ahead of Butler, Brockman, McKenzie and MacDonald.
I'm going to weight the team against prominence in the pre-season posts and social media. Despite Sam wanting to get games into the kids early last season, he still played Shiels Rd 1 last year and Impey has been prominent in most of the pre-season stuff. That suggests he's probably still in the plans.

Brockman, Wingard, Breust, Moore, Butler and Greene don't all play in the same side. I reckon the decision will be from Greene and Brockman and there's a fair chance Brockman eases back in via the VFL at this stage because we simply don't know if his preparation is there.

FB: Hardwick, Blanck, Scrimshaw
HB: Jiath, Sicily, Impey
C: Day, Worpel, Amon
HF: Breust, Kosi, Moore
FF: Wingard, Reeves, Greene
R: Meek, Newcombe, Ward

I/C: Mackenzie, DGB, MacDonald

4th I/C and Sub from: Butler, Nash, Maginness, Morrison

The tough part is the choice from the 4 listed above. Morrison is probably the least likely to appear R1 because he might still be easing back from injury, Nash and Maginness make the most sense purely because we shouldn't be looking to get blown open in the middle of the ground, where Butler is the guy where as SYL said we might just want to force games into.

Honestly, when I look at that side (even though I've got him in the team) I wouldn't necessarily be taking Scrimshaw's position as a foregone conclusion. He's a guy everyone seems to see as an obvious in but he needs to take another stride for mine as he's been largely the same calibre of player since he got here. On the other hand you've got a guy like Morrison that everyone has on the fringes has taken considerable strides over the past few years.

We are in a development year and although we could go out and pick our most senior and best side every week, I have no doubt Sam will continue to try and sprinkle a bunch of inexperienced and young players into the side who need games under their belt.
I would be astounded if we picked a “development side” to begin the season.

Presuming all bar Lewis are fit (which won’t be the case), my side looks like this:

B: DBG Blanck Hardwick

HB: Impey Sicily Jiath

C: Day Newcombe Amon

HF: Wingard Frost Moore

F: Breust Reeves Scrimshaw

R: Meek Nash Ward

I (from) Maginness, Worpel, Morrison, C. McDonald, McKenzie, Weddle, Brockman, Stephens, Koschitzke

Here's A team. If I did it again tomorrow it would probably be very different.

But again, my point is it's not about what side we would pick. It's about what side Sam would pick and his intent when doing so. For example, I've got Weddle in my 22 because I think he could offer similar or more than Frost. It will be great for his development, but most importantly I think he might make us better.

C: Amon Day Morrison
R: Reeves Newcombe Worpel

HF: Impey Serong Moore
FF: Wingard Meek Breust

Int: Frenchy, Weddle, MacDonald, Maginness
Sub: Nash

Notable exclusions:
Kosi - I like him as a player and he'll play a lot this year. Was just taken with Serong as a better option at the one training session I got to.
Ward - probably will play round 1 but hasn't been in full training this pre-season so I'm squeezing in someone else for now. If he plays then Frenchy is out.
Stephens - simply haven't seen enough to know where he stands relative to the other mids.
Butler/Brockman/O'Sullivan - could all be named. Gone with experienced smalls up forward to cover the loss of Lewis' presence and my selection of Serong over the bigger Kosi.

Last edited:
Which teams scores us the most goals, attacks from defence the hardest and makes minimal possession errors, and most of all goes in with a bit of agro, balance that out and that’s our team for the year plus rotations on development, injuries and player matchups.

can’t wait to watch us tbh

100% pick a team with our best chance of a win for round 1. Any suggestion otherwise is ludicrous
Like people posting that playing a kid plucked from the u18s is going to “immediately makes us better” than playing 5 - 10 year players with 100+ games experience….when none of these kids have played a single game of men’s footy. 🤷‍♂️

Don’t people remember Jimmy Toumpas? Mitch Thorp? Paul Ahern? Paddy Dow?

Give it a month or two before putting a fork in those remaining on our list can we?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But again, my point is it's not about what side we would pick. It's about what side Sam would pick and his intent when doing so. For example, I've got Weddle in my starting 18 because I think he could offer similar or more than Frost. It will be great for his development, but most importantly I think he might make us better.

FB: Hardwick Blanck Weddle

Int: Frenchy, Serong, MacDonald, Maginness

Notable exclusions:
Kosi - I like him as a player and he'll play a lot this year. Was just taken with Serong as a better option at the one training session I got to.
Ward - probably will play round 1 but hasn't been in full training this pre-season so I'm squeezing in someone else for now. If he plays then Frenchy is out.
Stephens - simply haven't seen enough to know where he stands relative to the other mids.
DGB - hate leaving him out but I anticipate we'll try to blow Essendon off the park with running power which isn't his wheelhouse yet.
Butler/Brockman/O'Sullivan - could all be named. Gone with experienced smalls up forward to cover the loss of Lewis' presence and my selection of Serong over the bigger Kosi.
Weddle playing back pocket instead of DGB or Frost is crazy talk.

Same with Serong over Kosi, I reckon. You’ve named him twice actually.

The injuries make it easier to pick.

FB: Hardwick, Blanck, CJ

HB: Scrimshaw, Sicily, Weddle

C : Amon, Ward, Day

HF: Moore, Kosi, Wingard

FF: Bruest, Meek, MacDonald

RUCK: Reeves, Duke, Nash

IC: Worpel, Mackenzie, Maginness, Impey, Stephens.

On SM-A136B using BigFooty.com mobile app

100% pick a team with our best chance of a win for round 1. Any suggestion otherwise is ludicrous

Mitchell has his eyes on the future, he's playing the long game (not suggesting he's wanting to tank, but don't be surprised if he plays rookies and prioritises long-term development).

If all four or three are ‘pushed out’ the results won’t be pretty and the remaining youngsters will be bashed up too.

Besides I don’t see it myself. Sam had shiny new toys last year but these guys got selected when fit and in form

If they aren’t the future, then why weren’t they moved on like omeara Mitchell sheils Howe?
Because those four still have potential to be key parts of our team moving forward. That's if they "perform". Their also not 27, 28, 29 year olds. They have scope to improve, while O'Meara, Mitchell, Shiels and Howe were already finished products.

I never said they weren't part of the future, yet they need to raise their standards.

The four you have mentioned were never truly considered part of our next premiership tilt.

Because those four still have potential to be key parts of our team moving forward. That's if they "perform". Their also not 27, 28, 29 year olds. They have scope to improve, while O'Meara, Mitchell, Shiels and Howe were already finished products.

I never said they weren't part of the future, yet they need to raise their standards.

The four you have mentioned were never truly considered part of our next premiership tilt.

Among the 14 mentioned here

To be honest. I think we play to win, whilst experimenting with the game plan, not necessarily players.

There are not many older experienced players anyway, so I think they will pick the best players' in form regardless of age. Don't gift games to any body. Need to earn it.

Weddle playing back pocket instead of DGB or Frost is crazy talk.

Same with Serong over Kosi, I reckon. You’ve named him twice actually.
Lol this is why I was reluctant to post a team. It's irrelevant to the discussion of will we focus on getting a win or getting games into debutants.

edit: Fixed the double-up on Serong. Weddle to bench (articles today suggest he's more likely to play wing) and Denver back in the back 6.

Last edited:

But again, my point is it's not about what side we would pick. It's about what side Sam would pick and his intent when doing so. For example, I've got Weddle in my 22 because I think he could offer similar or more than Frost. It will be great for his development, but most importantly I think he might make us better.

Int: Frenchy, Weddle, MacDonald, Maginness

Notable exclusions:
I believe overlooking Bramble in this side and exclusions which is pretty much like everyone else's thoughts is an oversight. He brings run and great kicking and has improved immensely since he got here. If fit, he will be in consideration no doubt for round 1. Frost's exclusion is also interesting as I consider him a near lock for the Bummers. Very underrated player who takes the game on and can also play tight. Extremely versatile as well with his pace, agilty and height enabling him to play on many different types down back.

Last edited:
I believe overlooking Bramble in this side and exclusions which is pretty much like everyone else's thoughts is an oversight. He brings run and great kicking and has improved immensely since he got here. If fit, he will be in consideration no doubt for round 1. Frost's exclusion is also interesting as I consider him a near lock for the Bummers. Very underrated player who takes the game on and can also play tight. Extremely versatile as well with his pace, agilty and height enabling him to play on many different types down back.
Yes, I think Frost plays. Looks like he’s in the leadership group too.

I think Bramble will line up at Box Hill though, as we’ve got more than enough back flankers, and others to rotate through the wing.

I don't think Bramble has ever been a lock, which is why most have omitted him. It's just hard to find positions for every player, particularly with our light injury list and without seeing any true pre-season form.

Even looking at our midfield which is a massive weakness it's hard to find spots for Nash and Maginness who played last season, or Stephens who most figured would be a walk up start here.

We'll get a much better sense of things after some more intense intra clubs and practice matches.

Yes, I think Frost plays. Looks like he’s in the leadership group too.

I think Bramble will line up at Box Hill though, as we’ve got more than enough back flankers, and others to rotate through the wing.
I'm not sure if Bramble makes the 23 come round 1, but being excluded from everyone's calculations has me miffed. He's a good player that deserves to be considered and I think he will be. Wouldn't surprise me at all if he's named in the team. An awesome kick which is highly valuable, that's his one wood.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back