Unofficial Preview Round 1, 2023: Hawthorn v Essendon, MCG 3.20pm March 19th

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let's not get carried away here. He's absolutely elite at all said apart from the bold. If he was that as well, he'd be the greatest backman of all time. Don't get me wrong, he's a solid defensive player as well. But calling him an AA standard lockdown defender on big talls is a stretch. Let's be real. That's not his gig and nor it should be.
Mate, there have been years where he's had the best defensive 1:1 win percentage in the league playing against taller guys. He had 11 1:1s vs Richmond earlier last season and lost 2. Against Tom Lynch, a bloke >10cm taller and dominant at his best in a team that was dominating us.

There's a solid case that Sicily's year last year was one of the best all time seasons from a defender, and the only reason he was punished by missing out on AA was because he's an antagonist in a poor team.

Mate, there have been years where he's had the best defensive 1:1 win percentage in the league playing against taller guys. He had 11 1:1s vs Richmond earlier last season and lost 2. Against Tom Lynch, a bloke >10cm taller and dominant at his best in a team that was dominating us.

There's a solid case that Sicily's year last year was one of the best all time seasons from a defender, and the only reason he was punished by missing out on AA was because he's an antagonist in a poor team.
THIS!

I like your response. He was awesome again last year and took it to another level and was undoubtably punished by our ladder position. I just remember Lynch getting hold of him all too well due to his lack of height alone. Yes maybe, a one off occasion but I never want to see him isolated one on one again with him or his type. Let's hope Blanck is that man for the future.

When you consider he was fresh off an ACL last season it makes it even more astounding

The only other year from a defender that I can personally remember being on par with Sicily's 2022 was Brian Lake's year for the Doggies in 2010 (big Brian was ridiculously good that year).

Absolute bloody disgrace he didn't make the AA team last year, complete joke of a decision.

The only other year from a defender that I can personally remember being on par with Sicily's 2022 was Brian Lake's year for the Doggies in 2010 (big Brian was ridiculously good that year).

Absolute bloody disgrace he didn't make the AA team last year, complete joke of a decision.

Hopefully he is training and preparing - and will play - like he has a point to prove!

People complaining about Sicilys snub from the AA team, just remember, they also selected the rising star

No issue with the rising star, that was a tough one.

But Sicily was outright robbed and disrespected. He was the best defender in the league last season and deserved his spot over any of the others selected.

Moore was robbed too IMO.

People need to stop fawning over the All Australian.

It’s essentially fanvoted just like the Rising Star when you’ve got ex-players involved. The only difference is that the fans doing the voting is supposed to be balanced unlike us nuffies who vote for the mark of the year or the 22 under 22, and not cheerleaders for their club.

Maynard got in the side over Sic, but finished 5th in his clubs B&F. I won’t even mention Stewart.

Anyway, this Round 1 game is winnable, even with Lewis in the stands. If Frost or Blanck hold Wright well, we should be right in it.

No issue with the rising star, that was a tough one.

But Sicily was outright robbed and disrespected. He was the best defender in the league last season and deserved his spot over any of the others selected.

Moore was robbed too IMO.

Yep both Daicos and Newcombe had great years and I have no qualms there with Daicos winning it.

However, Sicily not getting AA was just plain wrong and BS. He was the best all round defender last year and couldn't have done anything more.

Cry About It Captain Kirk GIF

Hawthorn Big Footy page whenever Sicily and All Australian are mentioned in the same sentence (and I definetly put myself in this category 🤣)

Yep both Daicos and Newcombe had great years and I have no qualms there with Daicos winning it.

However, Sicily not getting AA was just plain wrong and BS. He was the best all round defender last year and couldn't have done anything more.
Exactly I haven't seen one person on this forum crack it over Daicos winning the Rising Star even though there were arguments to be made that Newk could have won it instead. On balance Daicos was a worthy winner.

But Maynard/Saad over Sicily? F..k me pull the other one it plays Jingle Bells son!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We have genuine mids that we want to take the bulk of the centre bounces.

A lot of genuine mids who need exposure through the centre as well. Moore is ab elite hff, and that’s where he should stay (small stints through the middle at times.

Need to get games into Nash, preferably at senior level
Sub would have to be the worst situation for him, better having a run around in the seconds
I think Nash is at the stage in his career where he needs to play well to get selected. I know he's changed positions and had to ruck etc but this is a guy who has now in his 7th year on the list, played 50 games including some finals. He's passed the "get games into him" stage.

Serong, Long, Ward, Macdonald, McKenzie, Butler etc we can afford for them to have quite games adjusting to the level. Morrison, Nash, CJ, Scrimshaw etc..just gotta perform now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back