Preview Round 1 2023: North v WC, at Marvel 1:45pm Saturday March 18

Remove this Banner Ad

When will we learn? Xerri is one of the great pre-season warriors. Is always “flying” at this time of year. Then he goes out and just drops sitters and gives away silly, momentum-sapping free kicks.

At half time I’m guessing the whole coaches box will be wishing they had gone with Goldy. Hopefully it’s a quick remedy and not something that will be dragged out for weeks on end.

When will we learn? Xerri is one of the great pre-season warriors. Is always “flying” at this time of year. Then he goes out and just drops sitters and gives away silly, momentum-sapping free kicks.

At half time I’m guessing the whole coaches box will be wishing they had gone with Goldy. Hopefully it’s a quick remedy and not something that will be dragged out for weeks on end.
Sure he makes errors, I do like his aggression and he can do some good things.

He’s done more than say someone like Bonar who has some mythical status on here

Space Middle Finger GIF by Stephen Maurice Graham

I've already booked my parking
Me too. At Frankston station. And before you laugh, my car has never been stolen.

Stereo robbed. Speakers robbed. More speakers robbed. Run into.... Yes. Stolen... No.

And I am kidding. I am not parking at Frankston station even though I will catch the train.

Last edited:
How many games have we won over the last couple years with goldy on the park?

Don’t answer, it’s rhetorical or some s**t.

How many games have we won over the last couple years with goldy on the park?

Don’t answer, it’s rhetorical or some s**t.
This is a good way to look at things. Bottom line is we've spent a lot of time ranting and railing about selections for the last few years, and we've lost anyway. So the lesson is that we should just stop worrying about who we select because it makes no difference. I like it.

Goldy broke out the year he turned 23. Was his fifth year on the list. This is Xerri's sixth year on the list and he's now 24. It's now or never. I'd prefer to see them in tandem but if Xerri wants it, this is his big chance

This is a good way to look at things. Bottom line is we've spent a lot of time ranting and railing about selections for the last few years, and we've lost anyway. So the lesson is that we should just stop worrying about who we select because it makes no difference. I like it.
Not quite what I was going for, but I dig it 😂

Yep. Exactly the message to put out from game 1.
Compare this to past years at North.

1. Round 1. We go in with the tried and trusted group.
2. We lose our first game.
3. We dont want to panic, so we stick with the tried and trusted group.
4. After 4-5 games when we the years is almost gone, we make some changes...

This year, Clarko has rung the changes from Round 1. And what a way to put a rocket up a few, that were probably getting a bit too comfortable.

You dont think Goldy and WiPhi will be desperate to reclaim their spot in the Seniors?

This is what North needs....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Compare this to past years at North.

1. Round 1. We go in with the tried and trusted group.
2. We lose our first game.
3. We dont want to panic, so we stick with the tried and trusted group.
4. After 4-5 games when we the years is almost gone, we make some changes...

This year, Clarko has rung the changes from Round 1. And what a way to put a rocket up a few, that were probably getting a bit too comfortable.

You dont think Goldy and WiPhi will be desperate to reclaim their spot in the Seniors?

This is what North needs....
Everyone knows where they stand now. From the Captain(s) down to Turner who scraped back in from a delisting. I kind of like it. BTW your description of steps 1-4 is spot on. It used to give me the absolute shits. "We were awful, but we're backing this group to show they are proud and rebound". * off. A proud group has nothing to do with it. It always screamed to me of an off field team that wasn't capable of identifying accurately who were the weak links in any given game.

Who will be sub? With the sub now able to be used at any time, tactically??

Goldy? Swap him for X half way through the 3rd quarter? Is a risk if a small goes down.
Will? Good coverage for the mids and would be good insurance generally
Young? Probably a good each bet for a medical sub but not sure he'd make a big impact tactically but like
Dawson? If we are getting monstered down back he could sub out a mid sized defender.

Not sure....

Can't underestimate the importance of making these bold changes. We've finally got someone bold enough to shake up the status quo which was mediocre anyway. Now players know that no-one is safe and should be motivated accordingly. It also needed to be someone of Clarko's stature to do it. If Noble/Shaw/Patch made these changes for their first coached game the canaries would've screamed bloody murder and the players would not have the same buy-in.

Kind of glad the weather is going to be an inferno since it's will highlight the desire of the playing group. We also have a 7 day break before round 2 @ Freo whilst the Dockers will have 6 days to prep.

My main concern is kicking a winning score. I think we're going to need to kick 90+ to win this which only occurred once last year (92 vs Richmond). Bull kicked 6 that game and we might need a similar individual effort to get the choccies.

It's now or never for Xerri, Stevo, Bonar and Turner to make themselves useful. Here's hoping the reward the faith shown by the coaches. It wouldn't surprise if Ziebell has a 3-4 week grace period since he relinquished the captaincy and held the team together through the dark ages.

North by 2. Lezgo.

Issue is that he's not competing for Bonars position but Goldys and Goldy is more consistant than Xerri..

It wouldn't surprise if Ziebell has a 3-4 week grace period since he relinquished the captaincy and held the team together through the dark ages.
It wouldn’t surprise me either but it would upset me a bit. The game has gone so far past him, it’s gonna lap him a second time.
Maybe he tears it up tomorrow and earns another week, great, but if he stinks it up… ugh

Who will be sub? With the sub now able to be used at any time, tactically??

Goldy? Swap him for X half way through the 3rd quarter? Is a risk if a small goes down.
Will? Good coverage for the mids and would be good insurance generally
Young? Probably a good each bet for a medical sub but not sure he'd make a big impact tactically but like
Dawson? If we are getting monstered down back he could sub out a mid sized defender.

Not sure....
This l like but l think it will be either Phillips or Young...l cant see Goldy as being a sub as he's limited in where he can play and who he can replace.

Can't underestimate the importance of making these bold changes. We've finally got someone bold enough to shake up the status quo which was mediocre anyway. Now players know that no-one is safe and should be motivated accordingly. It also needed to be someone of Clarko's stature to do it. If Noble/Shaw/Patch made these changes for their first coached game the canaries would've screamed bloody murder and the players would not have the same buy-in.

Kind of glad the weather is going to be an inferno since it's will highlight the desire of the playing group. We also have a 7 day break before round 2 @ Freo whilst the Dockers will have 6 days to prep.

My main concern is kicking a winning score. I think we're going to need to kick 90+ to win this which only occurred once last year (92 vs Richmond). Bull kicked 6 that game and we might need a similar individual effort to get the choccies.

It's now or never for Xerri, Stevo, Bonar and Turner to make themselves useful. Here's hoping the reward the faith shown by the coaches. It wouldn't surprise if Ziebell has a 3-4 week grace period since he relinquished the captaincy and held the team together through the dark ages.

North by 2. Lezgo.

D7FC3D3C-AECA-4088-A282-4E2CD8FB56EE.jpeg

That team selection for round 1 has been a buzz killer. Which is a good effort, considering the doggies practice match already killed all the buzz.

I’m still floored by the wilphil non-selection. Where is our list at when our pick at no.3 can’t beat out 1 of Shiels, greenwood or turner for a midfield spot?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back