Prediction ROUND 1 2023 - Pick your best team

Remove this Banner Ad

Hi all - do you give Tyler Brown any chance of playing senior footy this year?
He appears to be on our fringe, so I suspect he will play some games.

Probably behind Crouch as next inside midfielder in, but we may use him against taller midfielders like Cripps.

Hi all - do you give Tyler Brown any chance of playing senior footy this year?
Yep, certainly do. He went alright in our two winning preseason matches and was in our starting 26 for the comprehensive win against West Coast. I’m sure Nicksy has some roles in mind for him, even if initially it is as a utility player.

My ideal lineup:

F Rachele Fogarty McAdam
HF Rankine Walker Thilthorpe
C Dawson Berry Soligo
HB Milera Murray Smith
B Max Michalanney Butts Doedeee
RUCK O'Brien Laird Schoenberg
INTER Sloane Pedlar Keays Hinge (Sholl)

EMG: Jones, Murphy, Crouch, Hately

Here is how I think we line up:

AFL
F Rachele Fogarty McAdam
HF Pedlar Walker Keays
C Dawson Berry Soligo
HB Milera Murray Smith
B Doedee Butts Parnell
RUCK O'Brien Laird Rankine
INTER Sloane, Himmelburg, Hinge Schoenberg (Brown)

Emg: McHenry, Jones, Murphy, TT, Mad Max.

The make up of the final team is by and large now clear. I post what I think the 22 will be below, and the most likely sub. Above is what I posted in early December. Four listed there are unlikely to make the team for the first round. They are Worrell (inj); Thilthorpe; Jones and Hamill. I was surprised at how close that is to the likely round 1 team when I revisited that team from p13 of this thread a few moments ago. Here is what I think the round 1 team is likely to be:

B: Parnell - Butts - Doedee
HB: Smith - Murray - Dawson
C: Hinge - Berry - Sloane
HF: McAdam - Walker - Rachele
F: Pedlar - Fogarty - Rankine
R: ROB - Laird - Soligo

I/C: Himmelberg - Keays - Milera - Schoenberg.

Sub (in descending order of likelihood) T Brown; Michalanney; Crouch. If the selectors want another tallish defender then it could be Milera to sub and Michalanney into the 22. Crouch didn't do his chances any harm, quickly racking up possessions when he came on, and obviously has worked much more on what to do with it when he gets it.
I have given this a bit of further thought and reflection, especially since watching a fair bit of the GWS v Suns game Saturday arvo. GWS have a fair bit of height and certainly talent up forward, so Michalaney into the 22 as a dour, lock-down defender who can also play on smaller types if necessary. In fact I would love to see his close checking frustrate the heck out of Toby Greene. Milera then to sub (assuming he is OK). The team would then look as follows:

I/C: Himmelberg - Keays - Michalanney - Schoenberg.

Sub: Milera

I have given this a bit of further thought and reflection, especially since watching a fair bit of the GWS v Suns game Saturday arvo. GWS have a fair bit of height and certainly talent up forward, so Michalaney into the 22 as a dour, lock-down defender who can also play on smaller types if necessary. In fact I would love to see his close checking frustrate the heck out of Toby Greene. Milera then to sub (assuming he is OK). The team would then look as follows:

Yeh looks right to me. May Schoenberg starts and soligo to bench.

i dont see a match up for parnell and would prefer to see milera on field

they are going to be very tall in forward line i posted about this too. pity keane hasnt been training with the squad a bit longer just for this week.

From Jon Ralph. I'll admit I haven't seen a lick of pre season so I am only going by reputation but obviously Berg has found 3 more gears this pre-season?
ADELAIDE’S PREDICTED 23

B: B. Smith, J. Butts, T. Doedee

HB: W. Milera, N. Murray, J. Dawson

C: M. Hinge, J. Rachele, R. Sloane

HF: B. Keays, E. Himmelberg, D. Fogarty

F: I. Rankine, T. Walker, S. McAdam

FOLL: R. O’Brien, S. Berry, R. Laird

I/C: P. Parnell, H. Schoenberg, J. Soligo, L. Pedlar

Sub: M. Michalanney

Notable absentees: J. Worrell (hamstring), R. Thilthorpe, M. Crouch, L. Murphy, N. McHenry

Jon Ralph’s selection dilemmas: No.2 overall draft pick Riley Thilthorpe will play a ruck-forward role this year but was squeezed out of the side that was so impressive against West Coast so Elliott Himmelberg will surely get the nod against GWS.

First-round pick Max Michalanney played 79 per cent game time in the Eagles clash but will likely be displaced by the returning Wayne Milera.

Jake Soligo is a certainty to keep his spot too after 15 composed disposals from 68 per cent game time including eight centre-bounces.

Matt Crouch racked up nine disposals from a single quarter but he’s just not in Matthew Nicks’ round 1 plans. Pedlar is keeping out McHenry and Murphy.

From Jon Ralph. I'll admit I haven't seen a lick of pre season so I am only going by reputation but obviously Berg has found 3 more gears this pre-season?
I realise sub is now tactical, but I still don’t think it’s a good place to debut a young player. Max needs a full game of footy, preferably in the As, if not the SANFL. We’ve got plenty of utilities we can use as a sub.
As for Berg, as well as his forward stuff (in the Weagles match) I didn’t mind him when he did some rucking at stoppages even in the back half.

Last edited:

I wouldn't go that far. Had a solid hitout v Freo and an almost game against West Coast.

Himm does seem in front of Thithorpe, but really, I can't see how this isn't a repeat of last year. Thilthorpe is just too advanced for the SANFL for it to be a league for him to gain anything out of, unless we're dumb enough to think he's a ruck.

Unfortunately, this club has a proud history of that.

You’re right about the height requirements for the GWS game (after all.. they are Giants 😉), so surprised you’re starting Parnell in the back pocket instead of Michalanney.

FB: Parnell Butts Doedee
HB: Smith Murray Hinge

R: O'Brien Laird Schoenberg
C: Soligo Berry Dawson

HF: Keays Walker Rachele
FF: Rankine Fogarty Thilthorpe

Int: Sloane Pedlar Milera McAdam

(Log in to remove this ad.)

FB: Parnell Butts Doedee
HB: Smith Murray Hinge

R: O'Brien Laird Schoenberg
C: Soligo Berry Dawson

HF: Keays Walker Rachele
FF: Rankine Fogarty Thilthorpe

Int: Sloane Pedlar Milera McAdam
Pretty Much right i think

Add Max to make it 23. Berg probably ahead based on pre season form of Thilthorpe

I like the look of afl.com’s predicted 22 - with Michalanney starting on the bench and Milera as the sub.

rebuilds target gun mids, we haven't yet. My issue is that McAsey, Gooch and Jones is too many first pick misses to have a successful rebuild. Plus injury has turned Milera into a C grader based upon his return last year. Adding 3 picks around the 10 mark over the next 3 years will anchor us to the bottom part of the top 8. Hopefully Pedlar becomes an A grader and either or both Rankine and Rachele become elite mids, but it's very much hope they can transition at the moment. Bit I can't see this group competing around the top 4 without 2 elite mids being added to the group and I'm not sure how we do that climbing to 8th this year and staying there for a few years.

I agree with you that we have missed so many first rounders our rebuild is at risk

We do have options on our list that may get there - as you highlight - but alternatively we probably need to trade for one

I think we have enough options that we just need a star to lead us in the midfield rather than two but fair enough to have a difference of opinion

Our list - if we improve our backline and get a ruckman - I think can push to top 4. Having a star mid would put us as a genuine contender. I still see Rachele in this role - a Robbie Gray level mid when he builds his tank

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Without getting too hung up on particular positions, it looks like the 23 will be as follows, with either Milera or Parnell as sub (unless Brown's debut is as a sub)?

B: Michalanney - Butts - Doedee

I/C: Brown - Himmelberg - Keays - Milera - Parnell.

Without getting too hung up on particular positions, it looks like the 23 will be as follows, with either Milera or Parnell as sub (unless Brown's debut is as a sub)?

B: Michalanney - Butts - Doedee

I/C: Brown - Himmelberg - Keays - Milera - Parnell.
no Schoenberg?

The club? When and what was said?
Fair question. I will rephrase. Rumors surrounding the club. However, considering the official confirmation that Michalanney will debut and some fairly reasoanble reasons to believe Tyler Brown will also debut, someone has to give way. I have liked Schoenberg's preseason, but we can't play everyone who is in the mix. I personally would have him in the mix for sub which atm to me seems like being between Milera, Parnell and Schoenberg. Of the three, one to make the team, one to sub and one to miss. Of course I may be wrong, just calling it as I see it by connecting the dots.

Last edited:
Fair question. I will rephrase. Rumors surrounding the club. However, considering the official confirmation that Michalannthey will debut and some fairly reasoanble reasons to believe Tyler Brown will also debut, someone has to give way. I have liked Schoenberg's preseason, but we can't play everyone who is in the mix. I personally would have him in the mix for sub which atm to me seems like being between Milera, Parnell and Schoenberg. Of the three, one to make the team, one to sub and one to miss. Of course I may be wrong, just calling it as I see it by connecting the dots.
Brown will be sub, if they make Shoey sub then Nicks has lost the plot. I’m not going down that path yet as I think there’s a bit of jumping at shadows.

Brown will be sub, if they make Shoey sub then Nicks has lost the plot. I’m not going down that path yet as I think there’s a bit of jumping at shadows.
Milera might be sub

Was just watching the gws game from last year

Their big body mids smashed us. Now admittedly two of them arent there anymore but they still have Green and Callaghan. Problem is I cant see Brown doing much against them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back