Prediction ROUND 1 2023 - Pick your best team

Remove this Banner Ad

B: Jones - Butts - Doedee
HB: Smith - Murray - Worrell
C: Soligo - Berry - Dawson
HF: Rankine - Walker - Thilthorpe
F: McAdam - Fogarty - Rachele
R: O'Brien - Laird - Schoenberg

I: Keays - Pedlar - Milera - Hamill - Hinge (assuming 5 on the bench)

SANFL team:

B: Parnell - Borlase - McPherson
HB: Sholl - McAsey - Michalanney
C: Nankervis - Hately - Cook
HF: Wright - Himmelberg - McHenry
F: Newchurch - Gollant - Murphy
R: Strachan - Crouch - Taylor
I: Pick 23 - Turner - ?? - ??

Assuming Rowe & Davis are gone.
wright retired

when you put it like that do we make list decisions based on fielding a balanced sanfl team? hmmm interesting

Rachele and Rankine rotate with each other mid forward

F Rachele Thilthorpe Fogarty
HF Keays Walker Sloane
C Dawson Laird Soligo
HB Hamill Murray Smith
B Dodee Butts Worrell
Ruck O'Brien Rankine Berry
Inter Jones Cook Parnell Sholl Hinge

SANFL Plus draftees
McAsey
Seedsman ?
Murphy
Pedlar
Crouch
Gollant
Strachan
Newchurch
McHenry
Taylor
Milera
Himmelberg
Borlase
McPherson
Schoenberg
Nankervis
Hately
McAdam

Can't imagine we see too many changes from the later parts of '22. Rankine in for one of Murphy or McHenry surely. Plus there's always a couple that perform well in preseason, my guess is Pedlar and Taylor, replacing a couple of offseason injuries. Not sure how to feel about our line-up seeming so stable for a young developing squad.

B: Hinge - Butts - Doedee
HB: Smith - Murray - Jones
C: Dawson - Laird - Milera
HF: McAdam - Walker - Rankine
F: Rachele - Fogarty - Thilthorpe
R: O'Brien - Berry - Soligo
I: Schoenberg - Keays - Taylor - Worrell
S: Pannell
NOO! You're opening up the PTSD there...

What I would prefer to see (if Nicks were to utilise players where they could actually have the greatest impact for us, while staying true to our rebuild):

B: Butts • Borlase • Laird

HB: Smith • Worrell • Milera

C: Soligo • Berry • Dawson

R: Thilthorpe • Doedee • Schoenberg

HF: McAdam • Fogarty • Rankine

F: Rachele • Walker • Himmelberg

IC: Keays • Hinge • Pedlar • Taylor • Jones/McHenry (assuming sub is replaced by fifth interchange spot)

Emg/next in: Gollant, Cook, McHenry/Jones, Hamill, Sholl, Newchurch, Hately, Nankervis, Turner, ROB

The only way McHenry or Murphy ever get a game is in the back pocket. Ned and Murphy both should be reinvented as small defenders if they’re to survive on our list, but I’d prefer Murphy is delisted ASAP - not AFL standard and certainly not as a fwd.

Any hack can play a defensive role inside 50, but only a special kind of hack plays like a pseudo-CHF when doing so, crashing packs as the smallest bloke in them. Are we going to waste years of our rebuild trying to fit this spud into the equation? Let’s not go down the B.Martin / R.Knight / J.Petrenko route all over again. Keays has shown he can play this role effectively, would much prefer him there than streaming through the middle butchering inside 50 entries.

Ned has all the attributes to become a ferocious lockdown small def on the opposition’s most dangerous small fwd, releasing to the better ball users off half back to provide rebound. Flashy fwd pockets will know they’re going to earn every touch when they walk over and see Ned waiting for them, he plays to hurt and we need more of this down back, especially with Brown’s retirement.

Ned’s only weakness playing that role will be getting beaten in the air by smaller forwards with strong vertical leaping abilities. Unfortunately though, we’ll likely continue to persist with him forward of centre running around like a headless chook burning the pill repeatedly. Only an emergency for mine at this stage, fighting for that last bench spot with Jones, who faces a make-or-break year.

Smithers retains his spot as he provides vital leadership in what will be a very inexperienced defensive 50. He and Hinge will likely rotate in that D50 with Hinge also spending time on a wing.

Dawson plays on a wing, permanently. Soligo holds that position while switching on the ball.

Yes, you read that right, Doedee needs to transition into the midfield now or never. We all constantly bemoan the fact we haven’t drafted a big-bodied mid for years, well we did, we just haven’t played him there at all. Doedee has all the attributes to be an outstanding stoppage player, his clean hands in traffic and dexterity, physical presence, overhead marking and work rate are something our midfield completely lacks. Why this move has never been so much as trialled still baffles me.

If we can make Laird work in the midfield, surely we can make Doedee work. Would finally give us someone capable of at least breaking even physically with the likes of Cripps/Wines/Oliver.

Laird is sent back to defence enabling us to put time into Soligo, Taylor, Pedlar, Rachele and Rankine on-ball. No more blind hack-kicks over the shoulder or hospital handballs to a stationary ROB for you Lairdy - do what you do best and rack it up down back, give us some drive out of there, lord knows we need it.

Milera likewise, but would still like to see him spend time in our midfield rotations, he gives us a different dynamic and some much needed flair and pace in there, as well as clean delivery by foot.

Worrell is the modern day prototype CHB, if slightly on the shorter side at 194cm, but his overhead ability, agility and athleticism make up for his lack of height. The sooner we rid ourselves of spuds like Nick Murray (before he becomes our next Hartigan) the better. If we’re taking this rebuild seriously, Worrell plays every game and holds down CHB. If he can put on a few more kg’s (currently 94) over summer, the spot should be his for the taking.

Borlase reads the play well, is aggressive in the contest and a strong intercept marker. His already broad frame and reach means he plays taller than his 192cm. His achilles heel is his lack of pace, but I would prefer to see him play FB and Butts take the ruck-fwd (especially as we’re likely to see these come into vogue more with a larger interchange). It would also mean we’d never again have to endure Nick Murray going to ground in every contest, running himself under the flight of the ball repeatedly, getting caught attacking side of the contest while the opposition marches into goal unopposed, or watch Doedee get monstered by the resting ruck week in-week out, like we did this year. Borlase is composed on the ball and uses it effectively if not spectacularly, something we haven’t been able to say about any of our KPD’s for some time.

Soligo, Schoenberg, Taylor, Pedlar, Cook, Rachele and Rankine are the future of our midfield. All have the ability to develop into very good AFL midfielders. Berry is included in this group, as he does all the heavy lifting and we’ll need that with the aforementioned group bringing more composure and flair to the mix. If Berry can continue to work on his disposal under pressure he’ll be a very handy mid for years to come.

Soligo is a very special talent as is Taylor, who was a favourite of mine in his junior days. Both will be looked back upon as absolute steals of their draft in years to come. Worrell likewise.

Thilthorpe plays ruck, so we no longer carry the absolute liability that ROB has regressed into. Yes I would prefer to see RT protected more and stationed predominantly up forward so early in his career, but he gives our midfield a completely different dynamic when employed in ruck, and any move that sees ROB removed from that position can only benefit us. ROB is listed in emergencies purely because we’ve refused to draft or trade for any other ruckman in recent times, so our options are limited.

Himmelberg plays purely by virtue of giving Thilthorpe a chop out until we draft or trade for a long-term better option (would have liked to have seen us make a play for his brother this off season). Strachan isn’t AFL standard, so this combination seems our best bet unfortunately. If we draft a Barnett/Keeler/Verrall that could be our answer, as I expect all would start their career predominantly forward anyway. Would like to see Gollant and/or Nankervis given plenty of games next year given their upside, but Nicks is so rigid in his preferred structure that we’ll always accommodate the ruck-fwd role.

Fogarty needs to own CHF from round 1. Play Tex closer to goal next year as he’ll likely only get slower and let’s face it, the sight of him turning his back on the footy to face his opponent in a marking contest up the ground, sitting under it or giving away a free kick is getting rather old. I’d prefer to see Fog playing that higher role providing a target and having to demand the footy repeatedly. Fog will back himself in to either drive long accurate balls inside 50 (over the back of opposition defences given quick enough ball movement) or if given enough space, take on opponents and blast goals from outside 50. Burgess is the key to unlocking the beast that resides inside the Fog. He was finally given the continuity and responsibility he needed in order to thrive this year, after we finally magically discovered we could play both him and Tex in the same team.

McAdam had a better year but his spot is very much up for grabs with the likes of Gollant and Nankervis pushing hard for an opportunity. McAdam needs to continue to provide defensive pressure without the ball and continue to play hungry like he did this year.

Newchurch, Cook, Sholl must get games. If we play Hately, it has to be as an inside mid only, not on a wing ffs. I wanted Carmichael over Turner at our pick in the mid season draft, is Turner going to be given an opportunity? Carmichael certainly took his.

What is far more likely to occur Rd 1:

B: Doedee • Butts • Jones

HB: Smith • Murray • Dawson

C: Soligo • Laird • Schoenberg

R: O’Brien • Berry • Keays

HF: McAdam • Walker • Rankine

F: Rachele • Fogarty • Thilthorpe

IC: McHenry • Hinge • Murphy • Milera • Sloane

Emg: Crouch, Parnell, Strachan, Himmelberg, Hately, McAsey

Jones was used down back this year and we’ll likely persist with that move, given we did everything we could to annihilate any shred of confidence he had as a midfielder early on in his career.

You just know they’ll persist with Murphy, Murray, McHenry, Sloane, O’Brien and to the bemusement of everyone, Dawson stuck down back when he could otherwise become the most damaging wingman in the league.

Sloane will be given games despite no longer really being effective anywhere on the field, besides maybe up forward at a pinch (can’t see him finding his way into our stacked F50 anymore though). Perhaps play Sloane down back in a shut down role now that Brown has retired.. if anything he’d be accountable to his man, but would likely get slaughtered for pace when the ball hits the deck.

ROB will play every game in the ruck barring injury, and sometimes when injured. He has become our new Sauce in that regard, just without the natural ruck talent or ability to kick the footy. He is borderline delist for mine when his contract expires, after what was the most pathetic display as a ruckman I have seen in years. Was nothing short of a liability in this position. Has somehow also lost the ability to take contested marks which was his greatest strength in his BnF year. If we want our midfield to ever have any success, he needs to be moved on

McAsey will spend the year at FF in the SANFL and either asked to be traded home to Victoria or delisted. What an absolute waste of a top end pick Hamish, another blinder inside the top 10 to add to your resume. If it weren’t for his success rate with later picks we’d almost have to perform a rebuild during a rebuild, oh wait, isn’t that what we’re doing next year?

Nicks’ greatest downfall is his dogmatic approach to structures, and his insistence on bringing in out-of-form SANFL grade players to fit that formation. Sound familiar?

If you want to introduce a system in which young players can develop and remain competitive that’s fine, but doing so without any allowance for flexibility only serves to hinder that development, and hinder our ability to make changes on the fly to win games now and into the future.

It will be 2023 and we’ll still be moaning over our selection policy, despite having completely overhauled our coaching panel not too long ago. One almost has to wonder if there’s some sort of contagion at the club limited solely to the bowels of the selection committee’s chambers that slowly perpetuates over a period of decades.

I have very little hope Justin Reid was being congruent when suggesting we would start to blood more emerging talent next year. It will be more of the same, and we’ll continue to destroy the confidence of young players who’ve proven they deserve an opportunity at senior level.

keep changing my mind on best 22. What I will say is I am liking what I am seeing, we have added some class in Rankine, Dawson, Rachelle and Filthy. Have got some real growth in players like Berry, Soligo and Shoenburg. Some real coming of age from the Fog. Doedee, Butts, Murray and Worrel looking like they can hold the future in defense, where Jones seems to have found a home.
What I am trying to say is I can see it building, I think if we can nail the trades like the last 2 year in the next couple we can contend again around '25 and maybe even finals next year

B: Jones - Butts - Doedee
HB: Smith - Murray - Worrell
C: Soligo - Berry - Dawson
HF: Rankine - Walker - Thilthorpe
F: McAdam - Fogarty - Rachele
R: O'Brien - Laird - Schoenberg

I: Keays - Pedlar - Milera - Hamill - Hinge (assuming 5 on the bench)

SANFL team:

B: Parnell - Borlase - McPherson
HB: Sholl - McAsey - Michalanney
C: Nankervis - Hately - Cook
HF: Wright - Himmelberg - McHenry
F: Newchurch - Gollant - Murphy
R: Strachan - Crouch - Taylor
I: Pick 23 - Turner - ?? - ??

Assuming Rowe & Davis are gone.
McHenry in the 2's. I like it. The only thing better than that is delisted.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rachele and Rankine rotate with each other mid forward

F Rachele Thilthorpe Fogarty
HF Keays Walker Sloane
C Dawson Laird Soligo
HB Hamill Murray Smith
B Dodee Butts Worrell
Ruck O'Brien Rankine Berry
Inter Jones Cook Parnell Sholl Hinge

SANFL Plus draftees
McAsey
Seedsman ?
Murphy
Pedlar
Crouch
Gollant
Strachan
Newchurch
McHenry
Taylor
Milera
Himmelberg
Borlase
McPherson
Schoenberg
Nankervis
Hately
McAdam
Keays and Sloane on the half forward line. Yuck. McAdam is an automatic start on the half forward line and isn't being replaced by Keays or Sloane imo. Pedlar is a much better forward than Sloane or Keays as well as long as his body stands up. I can't see Sloane getting in the team unless they play him due to his games played stat. Sholl is no chance to be being playing first 22. Taylor and Nankervis are the most likely to be breakouts in 2023 imo. I wouldn't be surprised if Smith isn't a first choice best 22 player by the end of 2023.

Last edited:
Classic that quickly perusing this thread I think there was only one team where Mchenry was in the starting 18 and a few with him on the bench -the vast majority he was playing SANFL, however;

We all know come round 1 2023 sadly he will be named to start on the field.

D McKay has a lifetime membership on Ned's boat in exchange for the photos...

Classic that quickly perusing this thread I think there was only one team where Mchenry was in the starting 18 and a few with him on the bench -the vast majority he was playing SANFL, however;

We all know come round 1 2023 sadly he will be named to start on the field.

D McKay has a lifetime membership on Ned's boat in exchange for the photos...
You're probably right but that is a disgrace. I don't see 1 single AFL level attribute about him not 1.

So, given this is my round 1 team (all being available):

F: Rachele Fog McAdam
HF: Tex Thilthorpe Rankine
C: Dawson Laird Soligo
HB: Worrell Murray Smith
B: Jones Butts Doedee

1R: ROB Berry Schoenberg

INT: Keays Hinge Milera Parnell

Where exactly does Sloane play?

He's going to expect to play midfield as soon as he returns. BUT if he does, he is taking time away from Berry, Schoenberg and Soligo. Or time away from Rankine and Rachele to rotate in the midfield. At this point in our development, we simply can't do that. These guys must get time to develop. Nevermind also finding opportunities for Taylor and Nankervis.

If he goes back to the forward line, who does he replace? He can't possibly be selected ahead of the guys named to start. So does he take Milera's spot? Keays? Hinge (who is picked as a wing/halfback/utility type). What about Ned (who Nicks will 100% pick)?

I just don't see what his role is.

I really hope Nicks has the courage to have this conversation with Sloane. He's basically in the Crouch spot now.

Struggle with these as I end up with a number of players for the final couple of spots. Anyway this is my side, it’s probably not the 22 that would necessarily minimise our loss or maximise our win in round 1 next year. but it’s who I think will in a couple of years. Except Tex, can’t leave him out of a round 1 side. Worth noting Milera in on hope alone.

Rachele. Tex. Rankine.
Pedlar. TT. McAdam
Dawson. Laird. Milera
Doedee. Murray. Jones.
Murphy. Butts. Worrell
Strachan. Schoey. Berry
Fog. Soligo. Hinge. Hamill

Afl
Rankine. Thilthorpe Fogarty
Rachele Walker Keays
Dawson Berry Hinge
Doedee Worrell Laird