Review Round 1, 2023 - Port Adelaide vs. Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against Port Adelaide?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Maybe we should put our hand up to sign someone like Scott Pendlebury as an assistant coach (when he retires) as he said that he doesn’t mind moving interstate to coach somewhere in the future.

What we do need most importantly though, is coaches that give honest and tough feedback at times to the players and coaches around them as well to get the best out of everyone, cause atm that isn’t happening at the footy club and will ultimately cost us a premiership IMO.

My recollection of that comment from Pendlebury was that it was made to Jay Clark (his personal journalist) and it was at the end of 2021 when his contract was up - hey presto, here's another 3 year deal. I doubt he goes interstate for anything less than a senior coach opportunity in the future if he pursues it.

Richy bombing to the wing is fine if you've got someone who can actually mark it.

None of our forwards can mark.

Our Ruckman is a very average mark.
Gunners is a good mark, but service was poop. Reason why i think Fort should come in, he is a great mark and overall i think better than O.

This is my argument that we shouldve done more to keep McStay - he was a great mark and should have been the money - id hazard to say that Hippy and Joe are overpaid, b/c they pick and choose when they want to play - Macca did to to a degree b/c he was not w/o his faults but he could mark. I get Charlie being paid well b/c he puts bums on seats and the kids love him. Linc Im having me doubts to to inconsistent and hopefully he gets a rocket but surely he know he has to be better.

Gunners is a good mark, but service was poop. Reason why i think Fort should come in, he is a great mark and overall i think better than O.

This is my argument that we shouldve done more to keep McStay - he was a great mark and should have been the money - id hazard to say that Hippy and Joe are overpaid, b/c they pick and choose when they want to play - Macca did to to a degree b/c he was not w/o his faults but he could mark. I get Charlie being paid well b/c he puts bums on seats and the kids love him. Linc Im having me doubts to to inconsistent and hopefully he gets a rocket but surely he know he has to be better.

I’ll put my foot down here, McStay is not worth anything close to what Collingwood pay him and I would be pretty pissed off if we did

Maybe we should put our hand up to sign someone like Scott Pendlebury as an assistant coach (when he retires) as he said that he doesn’t mind moving interstate to coach somewhere in the future.

What we do need most importantly though, is coaches that give honest and tough feedback at times to the players and coaches around them as well to get the best out of everyone, cause atm that isn’t happening at the footy club and will ultimately cost us a premiership IMO.
You don’t think there would be honest and tough conversations going on at the club this week?

Richy bombing to the wing is fine if you've got someone who can actually mark it.

None of our forwards can mark.

Our Ruckman is a very average mark.
I actually think that the main goal if you can’t mark the ball from a long kick to the wing is to atleast halve the contest and try and force a stoppage.
And then hopefully go again, unfortunately with the playing group being off the ball all across the park nothing was going to work because even if they forced a stoppage they lost the clearance from the stoppage anyway, time and time again.

I’ll put my foot down here, McStay is not worth anything close to what Collingwood pay him and I would be pretty pissed off if we did
Fair enough but conversely, do you think Joe and Hippy would be worth what there on, i mean Joe would have to be minimum $750 K +, no Idea about Hippy but you'd think at least $600K?

Fair enough but conversely, do you think Joe and Hippy would be worth what there on, i mean Joe would have to be minimum $750 K +, no Idea about Hippy but you'd think at least $600K?

100% worth it. Both of them have a number of games each season where they take over and almost win it off their own boot. Don't recall Dan having even one of those.

And we don't setup for forwards to kick big bags

Hippies first half of 2021 he was on track for 50 goals as well. Wouldn't surprise me to see him get back to that form

joe is a marquee player who was willing to come to us on pretty much equal terms to the ones he would have demanded had he stayed at essendon. melbourne would have been frothing at the bit for a daniher type FA to be on the market for them last year.

he is a joy to watch and support

You don’t think there would be honest and tough conversations going on at the club this week?
Better damn hope there would have been, cause we are never gonna win a game this season if we put up a putrid performance like last week showed us, utterly complete disagree I must say :mad:

I've been thinking about Lachie.

Wonder if he's thought it's no longer 'me pushing for Brownlow', I'm captain and I'm going to take it as seriously as I took my brownlow tilt.

I've got to split my focus on my team mates. And I can do that because we got Dunkley and Ashcroft so I will have to room to adapt to captain.

Disgraceful game from us. We could not take a mark, could not make a tackle, kept getting sucked into the contests and could not run with the opponents. We were outworked and looked second rate. Our experienced mids cheated all night and got burnt and we played our kids on the outside when they are more naturally inside players and they were lost. Our midfield structure has been terrible since Bruce took over and we look to have taken another step backwards in this game. We are exceptionally slow to react when the ball is won by the opposition. I would really like them to go back to one of the Matthews teachings that when the opposition you bust your arse for 20m or so to tackle or get into the position you should be quickly.

On some of the players:

Neale - should be ashamed of his game. Effort just not there and just kept getting run past time and again. Made not effort to shut down opponents and was content to jog along behind.

McCluggage - for one of our best runners he is exceptionally poor at getting back. Cheats and gets ahead of the ball and then does not put in the effort to get back.

Starcevich - no-one on here seems to have caught up on the fact that Starcevich has regressed and is now just a very ordinary defender. Since midway through last year he has dropped back into the pack and is now very average player who is regularly beaten. That was certainly the case on the weekend. To add to a pretty poor defensive game he only managed 4 disposals and so it is fair to say he offered nothing offensively. We have a lot of half backs and on form his spot should not be safe albeit he has some credits in the bank remaining (although we all know that he is a Fagan favourite and those guys don't get dropped).

McKenna - much better game than his preseason games. Provided some nice run from the back and was generally solid.

Payne - was solid all day and was quite good in the limited time he was on Dixon. What I would really like to see is him going to the number 1 target to free up Andrews to play a looser role. If Payne can hold that role the team will be much better off.

Dunkley - disposals are less than I thought but this is the type of game you should expect. He is an accumulator and not a high impact player. He will get the ball and shuffle out but he will not break games open with his skills or incisive passes.

Ashcroft - expectations were very high and he certainly came up short but he did show flashes and there were positives. He is another who needs to put in that burst of effort when the ball is won by the opposition. At the moment he recovers too slowly and his opponent gets space too easily.

Rayner - had a mixed game. Did some nice things but found out a bit to. There was enough there though I think to persist with the experiment until Gardiner gets back or Lester demands a spot.

Robertson and Tunstill - just could not get near the ball. Only got 6 and 7 disposals each playing exclusively through the midfield. Robertson got a chance onball in the last and but was unable to impact the game. Both are inside players being forced to play outside and both showed a lack of feel for the position and where to run. Both would be extremely lucky to hold their spots.

Wilmot - effort was there and I thought his positioning was better than Robertson and Tunstill but there was still nothing to write home about on this performance. Skills were pretty poor which you don't like to see from your outside players.

Disgraceful game from us. We could not take a mark, could not make a tackle, kept getting sucked into the contests and could not run with the opponents. We were outworked and looked second rate. Our experienced mids cheated all night and got burnt and we played our kids on the outside when they are more naturally inside players and they were lost. Our midfield structure has been terrible since Bruce took over and we look to have taken another step backwards in this game. We are exceptionally slow to react when the ball is won by the opposition. I would really like them to go back to one of the Matthews teachings that when the opposition you bust your arse for 20m or so to tackle or get into the position you should be quickly.

On some of the players:

Neale - should be ashamed of his game. Effort just not there and just kept getting run past time and again. Made not effort to shut down opponents and was content to jog along behind.

McCluggage - for one of our best runners he is exceptionally poor at getting back. Cheats and gets ahead of the ball and then does not put in the effort to get back.

Starcevich - no-one on here seems to have caught up on the fact that Starcevich has regressed and is now just a very ordinary defender. Since midway through last year he has dropped back into the pack and is now very average player who is regularly beaten. That was certainly the case on the weekend. To add to a pretty poor defensive game he only managed 4 disposals and so it is fair to say he offered nothing offensively. We have a lot of half backs and on form his spot should not be safe albeit he has some credits in the bank remaining (although we all know that he is a Fagan favourite and those guys don't get dropped).

McKenna - much better game than his preseason games. Provided some nice run from the back and was generally solid.

Payne - was solid all day and was quite good in the limited time he was on Dixon. What I would really like to see is him going to the number 1 target to free up Andrews to play a looser role. If Payne can hold that role the team will be much better off.

Dunkley - disposals are less than I thought but this is the type of game you should expect. He is an accumulator and not a high impact player. He will get the ball and shuffle out but he will not break games open with his skills or incisive passes.

Ashcroft - expectations were very high and he certainly came up short but he did show flashes and there were positives. He is another who needs to put in that burst of effort when the ball is won by the opposition. At the moment he recovers too slowly and his opponent gets space too easily.

Rayner - had a mixed game. Did some nice things but found out a bit to. There was enough there though I think to persist with the experiment until Gardiner gets back or Lester demands a spot.

Robertson and Tunstill - just could not get near the ball. Only got 6 and 7 disposals each playing exclusively through the midfield. Robertson got a chance onball in the last and but was unable to impact the game. Both are inside players being forced to play outside and both showed a lack of feel for the position and where to run. Both would be extremely lucky to hold their spots.

Wilmot - effort was there and I thought his positioning was better than Robertson and Tunstill but there was still nothing to write home about on this performance. Skills were pretty poor which you don't like to see from your outside players.
Yes Starc's last several games have been poor and his disposal when he does get it has likewise regressed.

Seemed to happen overnight. Did he too not cop a nasty head knock last year ?

Hard to pinpoint a reason. Obviously not as noticeable on Saturday because there were others just as bad.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes Starc's last several games have been poor and his disposal when he does get it has likewise regressed.

Hard to pinpoint a reason. Obviously not as noticeable on Saturday because there were others just as bad.
I just checked because I do remember him being subbed off at some point. I could only find info on a concussion from 2020. He played 24 games in 2021 and 2022.

Every time Tunstill gets it, it seems he only sees a metre ahead of him. He gets, head down, runs with it and kicks it to wherever it’s going.

I just checked because I do remember him being subbed off at some point. I could only find info on a concussion from 2020. He played 24 games in 2021 and 2022.
Fairly sure he got subbed off with a head knock but didn't miss any games.

Probably nothing ,but from after half way last year his form seemed to drop off .

On some of the players:

I thought Starevich did a pretty good job on Bolton in the EF last year and played well in the semi final against the Dees as well.

Yes that was what I was thinking in that he has had a couple of head knocks. Also I am not convinced on the merits of our then backs coach Davies.

On some of the players:

Robertson definitely lined up with the forwards on a couple centre bounces. I don’t know if he stayed with the forwards after the bounce though.

Is this comment based on his 2 kicks from the weekends game?
In general and from the game. I think the 2 kicks probably needs more attention though. It’s almost impossible in this game not to get a kick, but to get the ball 7 times in a whole game. Hmm that’s hard to do. But don’t worry, Hipwood and Cameron will get their free pass as usual.

In general and from the game. I think the 2 kicks probably needs more attention though. It’s almost impossible in this game not to get a kick, but to get the ball 7 times in a whole game. Hmm that’s hard to do. But don’t worry, Hipwood and Cameron will get their free pass as usual.

Strange how players proven of being capable of contributing more keep their spot after one poor game

Quite a lot of our team gets very low possession numbers.

Our three midfielders
Dunkley 3 kicks
McCluggage 7 kicks
Neale 8 kicks

Back