Review Round 1, 2023 - Port Adelaide vs. Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against Port Adelaide?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Not from what Harris Andrews said in the interview where he said the poor result was not an attitude problem and he said there was just a few small things they had to work on…
Do you think he is going to come out and say what has been said behind closed doors?

Not from what Harris Andrews said in the interview where he said the poor result was not an attitude problem and he said there was just a few small things they had to work on…
Went and had a listen...

- so apparently it is leaders responsibility to drive the vibe at the club (does the 'vibe' equate to actual performance or are we talking about how they guys are feeling about stuff)

- the word 'learnings' a few times ... don't suppose we know what they are?

- your mids were killed by Port ... do you think they need to play with the same effort passion and workrate - answer along the lines of yeah well our mids were awesome during the pre-season ... oh and I hope they respond (hello Captain should you not be a par of working out/driving said response rather than just hoping they will?)

- coach said you got ahead of yourself what do you think ... nah we didn't ... they just wanted it more and we weren't ready and hey a bit more energy would be nice

- what do you put your teams lack of workrate down to ... we just got outworked by a good team to be honest ... the were keen for the contest and we weren't . but better game prep and recovery and attitude going into the game should help

- backline had a meeting and he is sure they will have another one before the game and hopefully work on their cohesiveness (um hello shouldn't you know if the backline will be having a meeting???)

- what are the fans going to see from this Lions team (on Friday) ... oh I think you just want to see that hunger and that energy around the contest and just the workrate I guess yeah that's probably where we got done on the weekend I guess <-- so this is all stuff that fans would like to see and apparently harris would like to see ... um all of those things are 100% in your control so why are you hoping rather then determined to / the fans will see etc?

- Zorks is a chance to play on Friday but they haven't actually sat down and talked with him and the fitness staff yet (well I suppose it was Tue ... they aren't playing until Friday why worry about team composition or tactics etc now)

This interview was brought to you by the words learnings, amends and opportunity

Can't say I was inspired by the burning desire and steely determination to never let that abomination happen again :(

I’ll let you in on a little secret, that would be his answer regardless of what happens behind closed doors, regardless of if they think it’s an attitude problem or not.

Of course we're not as good as we think we are.

That's been an issue particularly for supporters in the pre season.

We've proven nothing except we're a good team thus far.

Harris shouldn't do any more interviews unless we win imo. . I understand totally the situation he was in , he's a young man and trying to exhibit control, but the actual words he said were delusional as far as last weeks game goes.

Are we as good as we think we are? A few stats in that article that may suggest we aren't.
A team's only as good as your 5 or 6 least talented players.

If they're not junkyard mongrel goers who mop up and make relatively few errors you'll never be a champion team.

Are we as good as we think we are? A few stats in that article that may suggest we aren't.
Thats what I said in round about ways on Monday night when Browny put up that graph on Fox Footy in relation to Fages press conference when he spoke about it being uncharacteristic (it wasnt) and not our tradmark (it is) and this quote by Montagna supports it : "“Geelong and Melbourne, benchmark; Geelong have been beaten by 50 once in the past two years, Melbourne haven’t been beaten by 50 points in two years. Brisbane have been beaten by that four times in 13 games."

Good teams dont lose like we do - im praying we can turn this around and our results will solely dictate that not words.

Unfortunately it does feel like the mix of our team is off compared to the top teams. Sucks to say it but it does feel that we will hover around the ‘good but not good enough to win a flag’ bracket for a while before dropping off.

Thats what I said in round about ways on Monday night when Browny put up that graph on Fox Footy in relation to Fages press conference when he spoke about it being uncharacteristic (it wasnt) and not our tradmark (it is) and this quote by Montagna supports it : "“Geelong and Melbourne, benchmark; Geelong have been beaten by 50 once in the past two years, Melbourne haven’t been beaten by 50 points in two years. Brisbane have been beaten by that four times in 13 games."

Good teams dont lose like we do - im praying we can turn this around and our results will solely dictate that not words.
We can turn it around.

But the sooner we realise we're just contenders and have to scrap hard and dig in the more chance we have of staying in contention.

We had the full on bathwater going pre season and hopefully internally everyone is now aware of where we're at. And willing to do whatever it takes to get better.

Friday night is a big game for us , one of the most important since we first emerged as a contender when took the learnings from those 2 finals in 2019.

They've absolutely nailed us. Now it is time to see this group respond. The response needs to be over a season not a handful of matches. This team shouldn't lose by 50 points ever! Too much talent in our group for that.

Those stats are damning and factual.

Surely "a team like us" is better than that..... when we get beaten by the better sides it is always the same method, the next 3 rounds v Demons, Dogs and Pies will be defining for this group of players and coaches.

A fired up emotional close win over the Demons followed by a let down flogging by Dogs and/or Pies will not be good enough, our form must be more consistent.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They've absolutely nailed us. Now it is time to see this group respond. The response needs to be over a season not a handful of matches. This team shouldn't lose by 50 points ever! Too much talent in our group for that.

I think that'll temper expectations with supporters as well. Even if we get some blowouts and high margin wins later in the season, we appear to lack a playing system which will keep us close even on a bad day. Unless we get that addressed during the year, finals (if we make it) will be another hard slog.

Gunners is a good mark, but service was poop. Reason why i think Fort should come in, he is a great mark and overall i think better than O.

This is my argument that we shouldve done more to keep McStay - he was a great mark and should have been the money - id hazard to say that Hippy and Joe are overpaid, b/c they pick and choose when they want to play - Macca did to to a degree b/c he was not w/o his faults but he could mark. I get Charlie being paid well b/c he puts bums on seats and the kids love him. Linc Im having me doubts to to inconsistent and hopefully he gets a rocket but surely he know he has to be better.

I’ll put my foot down here, McStay is not worth anything close to what Collingwood pay him and I would be pretty pissed off if we did
Funnily enough I agree with both sides of this.

Daniher and Hipwood are better players and bring in crowds, excitement and value to the club as a marquee player and a local. But they are both kinda similar in style. Playing both together can work but in a way you probably dont need both without a complimentary forward.

McStay got an amazing deal at Collingwood (I dont blame him for taking it at all) and we would have been crazy to match it. But I do kinda of agree that from a structure sense one of Hippy/Joe with a more contested key forward might be better.

I also think Gunston is the smartest forward of the lot and his forward craft we badly need. But he is still not a big contested style player.

I think it was the right move to let McStay go but I dont think the game plan we default to is the best option for the forward line we kept

When we were banking wins last year which resulted in us being top of table we were often overcoming slow starts and periods of the game against weak opposition.

Yep, but its the good opposition I'm talking about. Slow start against top 4, we tend to struggle from that.

Last year's finals win against Demons - Melbourne fell into a pattern by then where they slowed down in second half giving opposition a chance. Whether its Petracca and Gawn playing injured or something else, we don't know. In full flight, they usually have us covered. I think our player group knows it as well, we can sort of tell from Neale setting up the "even if we lose" narrative.

Funnily enough I agree with both sides of this.

Daniher and Hipwood are better players and bring in crowds, excitement and value to the club as a marquee player and a local. But they are both kinda similar in style. Playing both together can work but in a way you probably dont need both without a complimentary forward.

McStay got an amazing deal at Collingwood (I dont blame him for taking it at all) and we would have been crazy to match it. But I do kinda of agree that from a structure sense one of Hippy/Joe with a more contested key forward might be better.

I also think Gunston is the smartest forward of the lot and his forward craft we badly need. But he is still not a big contested style player.

I think it was the right move to let McStay go but I dont think the game plan we default to is the best option for the forward line we kept

We had the right idea talking to Darcy Fogarty. There was some inside trader talk around this one.

But Fogarty decided to become a dead-eye and kill it late in the season.

I think our player group knows it as well, we can sort of tell from Neale setting up the "even if we lose" narrative.
Although Neale was talking about the year as a whole.
That even if we lose this game it’s not going to write off our year.
Not that they aren’t going to be trying to win this game.

crystal_ball.jpg

We lost this week, but I predict that we will beat Melbourne by eleven points. I predict the ground lights will fail with 12 minutes remaining in the last quarter. We will give up a forty point lead but still win by eleven once the game resumes. I predict there will be savage melts on the Lions Board, but as they say in the Spirit World, "A WIN IS A WIN!"

crystal_ball.jpg

We lost this week, but I predict that we will beat Melbourne by eleven points. I predict the ground lights will fail with 12 minutes remaining in the last quarter. We will give up a forty point lead but still win by eleven once the game resumes. I predict there will be savage melts on the Lions Board, but as they say in the Spirit World, "A WIN IS A WIN!"
,,Might'' have added a bit more credibility on the prophetic front with an earlier timestamp ;) ... actually if you ,,had'' predicted and published that ... cancel that let's not go there as you wouldn't want to see how your life would turn out from there :(

,,Might'' have added a bit more credibility on the prophetic front with an earlier timestamp ;) ... actually if you ,,had'' predicted and published that ... cancel that let's not go there as you wouldn't want to see how your life would turn out from there :(
1679750558507.jpeg
I predict Viceregal will mention the time stamp on my original prediction.

Back