Autopsy Round 1, 2023: Positives and Negatives vs North Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

Not only do I not like the guy from my experiences with him in the real world, I'm blocked by him on twitter.
BUT I find it a bit rich for a guy who was renowned for the selfish playing out from half back and getting mowed down HTB.
I think Simmo alluded to that in the questions to Simmo segment earlier in the week. Cant remember exactly what he said but made a joking comment about Wills playing days.

LoL what did you say to him that got you blocked?
I retweeted something that referred to Andrew Gaff as kermit when he wore the sub vest.
It happened to be the same day his dad died so he took it out on me I guess

Suma's rant was largely uninteresting. Sure Kelly is underperforming, but Sheed is at his level and Gaff was always going to struggle in an underperforming side where space and easy ball is hard to find.

West Coasts problems are entirely down to list profile and the selection of the 22 that played against North.

The addition of Hunt to the West Coast defensive lineup does nothing when you move Jermaine Jones into the forward 50 and retain the likes of Witherden.

We're running a cohort of Hurn, Duggan, Witherden, Gaff, Sheed & O'Neill then wondering why you struggle with spread from stoppages, defensive rebound and giving away cheap goals.

Ultimately playing style can't change without large changes to the playing group. Adding Chesser to a wing and Ginbey on ball instead of Hough and Culley. If anything it's a step backwards as far as experience goes.

What's clear is we need to move from the mature majority supported by youth to the very opposite. Unfortunately we'll play as many seniors trying to bank easy wins and be forced to transition to youth as the fixture gets more difficult.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Suma's rant was largely uninteresting. Sure Kelly is underperforming, but Sheed is at his level and Gaff was always going to struggle in an underperforming side where space and easy ball is hard to find.

West Coasts problems are entirely down to list profile and the selection of the 22 that played against North.

The addition of Hunt to the West Coast defensive lineup does nothing when you move Jermaine Jones into the forward 50 and retain the likes of Witherden.

We're running a cohort of Hurn, Duggan, Witherden, Gaff, Sheed & O'Neill then wondering why you struggle with spread from stoppages, defensive rebound and giving away cheap goals.

Ultimately playing style can't change without large changes to the playing group. Adding Chesser to a wing and Ginbey on ball instead of Hough and Culley. If anything it's a step backwards as far as experience goes.

What's clear is we need to move from the mature majority supported by youth to the very opposite. Unfortunately we'll play as many seniors trying to bank easy wins and be forced to transition to youth as the fixture gets more difficult.

Agree Duggan, Witherden, Gaff and XON should be dropped. I’d add Petch to that. Not sure who should be brought in, but it probably doesn’t matter: they need to get games under their belt. Better to go out with a bang than with a painful, prolonged whimper… Dump on me if you like, but I reckon Hawthorn has always had the right idea: move them on, even if they’ve got a year or two left in the tank. It prevents a log jam as less experienced players try to move to the next level.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Agree Duggan, Witherden, Gaff and XON should be dropped. I’d add Petch to that. Not sure who should be brought in, but it probably doesn’t matter: they need to get games under their belt. Better to go out with a bang than with a painful, prolonged whimper… Dump on me if you like, but I reckon Hawthorn has always had the right idea: move them on, even if they’ve got a year or two left in the tank. It prevents a log jam as less experienced players try to move to the next level.

You don't need to drop them all but you can't play all of them.

Gaff v Sheed. Pick one.
Hurn v Withers. Pick one.
Cripps v XON. Pick one.

Drop Kelly because he deserves it.
Shoehorn Duggan into an enforcer role and free up more attacking players.
Play Chesser loose behind the ball.

You don't need to drop them all but you can't play all of them.

Gaff v Sheed. Pick one.
Hurn v Withers. Pick one.
Cripps v XON. Pick one.

Drop Kelly because he deserves it.
Shoehorn Duggan into an enforcer role and free up more attacking players.
Play Chesser loose behind the ball.

Petch omitted. Hewitt , but SPS? Seriously?

And it looks like the Giants think we’ll be easy pickings. Cadman in, which will be interesting…

An outside rando's personal universal rankings after analysing the replay in detail for anyone who cares.
Everyone starts at 0 and goes up incrementally; accounting for the entire game (i.e. most players average out to a 5 and below that doesn't necessarily mean a "bad" game. 10's are rare and not everyone can be a stand out.)

L Ryan 8
T Barrass 8
L Shuey 7
-
J McGovern 6
D Sheed 6
T Kelly 6
J Cripps 6
J Darling 5
A Gaff 5
R Ginbey 5
O Allen 5
J Jones 5
-
S Hurn 4
T Cole 4
X O'Neill 4
J Hunt 4
B Williams 3
N Long 3
L Duggan 3
A Witherden 3
-
C Jamieson 0
C Chesser 0
J Petruccelle (s) 0

Brownlow Votes:
3. L Davies-Uniacke
2. L Ryan
1. T Barrass

North Melbourne rankings for comparison: Autopsy - Autopsy vs WCE

An outside rando's personal universal rankings after analysing the replay in detail for anyone who cares.
Everyone starts at 0 and goes up incrementally; accounting for the entire game (i.e. most players average out to a 5 and below that doesn't necessarily mean a "bad" game. 10's are rare and not everyone can be a stand out.)

L Ryan 8
T Barrass 8
L Shuey 7
-
J McGovern 6
D Sheed 6
T Kelly 6
J Cripps 6
J Darling 5
A Gaff 5
R Ginbey 5
O Allen 5
J Jones 5
-
S Hurn 4
T Cole 4
X O'Neill 4
J Hunt 4
B Williams 3
N Long 3
L Duggan 3
A Witherden 3
-
C Jamieson 0
C Chesser 0
J Petruccelle (s) 0

Brownlow Votes:
3. L Davies-Uniacke
2. L Ryan
1. T Barrass

North Melbourne rankings for comparison: Autopsy - Autopsy vs WCE
Always interesting to see a neutral perspective.

Barrass with 8 is generous. Had 6 kicked on him and I know he wasn’t responsible for all of them but still it’s your job to stop there forward and 6 goals isn’t that.

Would have given Shuey 8 thought he brought us back from the dead, wasn’t perfect but still really good.

Ryan was really good in the second half but Sheezle had the better of him in the first half.

Davies-Uniacke agree was bog very impressive.

Enough of the “lost to the wooden spooners”!! This is a new season and we shouldn’t be judging teams on last year.If everyone expects us to be much better surely North supporters expect their team to be much better.New coach and a lot of high end talent.
Enjoy the ride,look for positives in the newbies,and hope like hell Simmo maintains the rage. Play all the kids and get rid of the 50-50 players who never have/never will make it.Don’t be afraid to change things around.
-I.E. Gov would have smashed it in the ruck in that last quarter!!
As I said!! Either they are better than everyone gives them credit for or the Dorkers are s**t as well!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back