Review Round 1, 2023: Sydney Swans v Box Hill Hawks, 26 March 2023, 10.05am AEDT @ Tramway Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

I watched the first 3/4's of the game today, I think when Long gets into the 1's he won't be leaving it again. The man is a bull.
We need to find out what he can do at the top level. In my opinion we can’t have all of Long,Nash,Worpel,Maginess taking up midfield spots. They all have major flaws with their ball use by foot.

We need to find out what he can do at the top level. In my opinion we can’t have all of Long,Nash,Worpel,Maginess taking up midfield spots. They all have major flaws with their ball use by foot.
Yeah I don't disagree
I think right now Finn is the most vulnerable and probably is at risk of losing his spot.

Correct, we have recruited a lot of Butchers. We need to be very careful.

It’s a balance, but it’s also a way to have players last the season without too much burnout

One thing from some BigFooty posters on the Box Hill game that annoyed me greatly was the lack of respect given to Box Hill listed players. Callum Porter was arguably best-on-ground for the Hawks yet few posters acknowledged that he was even playing (SYL, VandoHawk, moningie being notable exceptions).

Please remember this is NOT a Hawthorn reserves team. Box Hill are a partner with Hawthorn and Hawthorn rely on having quality VFL players to play with Box Hill as both a pathway to Hawthorn, to help our kids at Hawthorn develop, but mostly to win the VFL premiership.

Not acknowledging our Box Hill players is wrong and highly counter-productive for both the Box Hill football club and the Hawthorn Football Club.

let’s see if we get better at this.
It's almost as if discussion is moved by players who are available for us to select in the seniors. Who'd have thunk.

If you want to talk about Cal Porter, talk about Cal Porter. Don't guilt trip everyone else.

Watched the match again, was a nice tussle until the dam wall broke in the last quarter.

- Loved Ned's game - he seemed to have the best disposal out of our mids, slightly more composure. Two things I really loved though is he hit up a beautiful I50 flat bullet pass at one point, showing he has that in his arsenal. Second was he is just a bull and does not let other players push him around - he pissed off one or two of the swannies during the match and was just laughing them off and whacking them back. Boy is ready.

- Thought DGB was really solid down back. Wasn't a domination, more just composed and solid. Best aspect for me was the quality of disposals he had out of the back half, especially under pressure. He hit up many long passes, that got over the back of the forward press and released us on a counter attack - was really nice.

- Scrim was clear quality above. Felt like he was seeing the game, as if everyone around him was slowwwww. Just not phased at all. Beautiful disposal out of the back half and why he took the majority of kick ins when he played the second half.

- Harry Morrison was also solid in his half he played - clear composure and quality by foot above. We need him in our seniors and he will add real solidity back into our side.

I'd say those four would be best suited for call ups. They all had the most consistent, all-round game across the quarters they played. Of the others:

- Brocky had an amazing first quarter burst and solid end, but was pretty well blanketed during the middle portion of the game. Some neat little plays on wing/half forward when he tried to beat his man, but I'd like him get some games in a row before joining back up the seniors - its been like 12-18 months since he played consistent footy.

- Similar for Ramma - was a little missing for periods and did get beaten in the ruck by McAndrew a bit. He's exciting though - he acts like a midfielder at times, basically going for ground balls - commentator was even caught off guard by his ground-ball gets in the last quarter.

- Box Hill boys were so good too - Porter just was everywhere. So composed and just felt like a Mr Fix It, plugged to fill a lot of gaps and just came in to provide good drive out of the back and through early transition.

- Jed Rule
was very tidy, pretty nice kicking action once he does his first little skip. Find it interesting his draft profile from 2022 states one of his bigger knocks against was his "offensive game" (Jed Rule). He was also rated on the fringes of the NAB 2022 League team of the year (by the RookieMe site - not to be confused with the actual NAB team of the year) too as a tall defender & we apparently were looking at him for SPP. All very interesting - maybe a cheeky 2nd pick come mid year if his output remains good up front?

NAB-League-Boys-TOTY.jpg

It's almost as if discussion is moved by players who are available for us to select in the seniors. Who'd have thunk.

If you want to talk about Cal Porter, talk about Cal Porter. Don't guilt trip everyone else.
Edited: The funny thing about guilt is that if you have done nothing wrong, you won’t feel it. If my post about including VFL listed players in peoples analysis struck a cord… great.

While you did not concede that I had a valid point, you non-the-less proved it.

My guess is that VFL players are much more likely to read posts on Bigfooty than AFL players. If we acknowledge all who play well for Box Hill, Hawthorn and Box Hill listed players alike, then everyone wins.

Last edited:
The funny thing about guilt is that if you have done nothing wrong, you won’t feel it. But if my post struck a cord with you or someone else, and guilt was felt… then that person must feel that acknowledging Box Hill players is the right thing to do. Otherwise there is no guilt.

My guess is that VFL players are much more likely to read posts on Bigfooty than AFL players. If we acknowledge all who play well for Box Hill, Hawthorn and Box Hill listed players alike, then everyone wins.
Word salad, as always.

The funny thing about guilt is that if you have done nothing wrong, you won’t feel it. But if my post struck a cord with you or someone else, and guilt was felt… then that person must feel that acknowledging Box Hill players is the right thing to do. Otherwise there is no guilt.

There's a lot of walking it back in this post.

You said before, to quote, "not acknowledging our Box Hill players is wrong".

Kermit then came back and said this is a guilt trip on the people reading your post. A guilt trip doesn't mean the reader feels guilt, it is a phrase used against the writer and that they are phrasing their argument to make it clear that if the reader does not agree with their opinion, they are in the wrong. Saying "well you feel guilt as a result of my post" is just gaslighting.

It's a thread on Box Hill, which comprises of many players. If people like to focus on Hawthorn players, because they are monitoring their progress for Hawthorn, there's nothing wrong with that. Different strokes for different folks.

Only people on this board who can say what is right or wrong are the mods, and our board has some bloody good ones. With that said, I'm now also going to stop before I get banned for derailing the thread further 😅

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One thing from some BigFooty posters on the Box Hill game that annoyed me greatly was the lack of respect given to Box Hill listed players. Callum Porter was arguably best-on-ground for the Hawks yet few posters acknowledged that he was even playing (SYL, VandoHawk, moningie being notable exceptions).

Please remember this is NOT a Hawthorn reserves team. Box Hill are a partner with Hawthorn and Hawthorn rely on having quality VFL players to play with Box Hill as both a pathway to Hawthorn, to help our kids at Hawthorn develop, but mostly to win the VFL premiership.

Not acknowledging our Box Hill players is wrong and highly counter-productive for both the Box Hill football club and the Hawthorn Football Club.

let’s see if we get better at this.

Couldn't agree less. Box Hill exist in the VFL only to provide a pathway to Hawthorn players not yet ready or able to play firsts, no chance they'd have survived as a stand alone VFL club without providing that avenue for the HFC.
That they are successful is valuable only in as much as it tutors future Hawthorn players in what is required to be winners and to desperately value and chase that feeling in their AFL careers.
I wouldn't spend a single second reading or following the results of BH without their affiliation to our mighty club.
Thanks to all those providing quality descriptions of the games and players, don't mind at all if Box Hill players are highlighted too but mostly interested in the progress and form of Hawk listed players.

Couldn't agree less. Box Hill exist in the VFL only to provide a pathway to Hawthorn players not yet ready or able to play firsts, no chance they'd have survived as a stand alone VFL club without providing that avenue for the HFC.
That they are successful is valuable only in as much as it tutors future Hawthorn players in what is required to be winners and to desperately value and chase that feeling in their AFL careers.
I wouldn't spend a single second reading or following the results of BH without their affiliation to our mighty club.
Thanks to all those providing quality descriptions of the games and players, don't mind at all if Box Hill players are highlighted too but mostly interested in the progress and form of Hawk listed players.
I Could not agree less.

You are saying that Box Hill are Hawthorn‘s reserves.… which they essentially are. Agreed.

That Box Hill players are not worth discussing… on a Box Hill chat site. Disagreed.

If we never discuss a Box Hill player we will never discuss players like Sam Switkowski = a player we needed, Sam Collins = a player we needed, Ed Curnow = a player we could have used, Jai Newcomb, Sam Mitchell, Robert Campbell, … I can go on..

Would Fergus Greene or Jai Newcombe likely think that ignoring the efforts of Box Hill players is right / wrong? The answer to that question is the essence of my point.

Last edited:
I Could not agree less.

You are saying that Box Hill are Hawthorn‘s reserves.… which they essentially are. Agreed.

That Box Hill players are not worth discussing within… on a Box Hill chat site. Disagreed.

If we never discuss a Box Hill player we will never discuss players like Sam Switkowski = a player we needed, Sam Collins = a player we needed, Ed Curnow = a player we could have used, Jai Newcomb, Sam Mitchell, Robert Campbell, … I can go on..

Fergus Greene would likely think that ignoring the efforts of Box Hill players is right / wrong. ?

Nope, not saying that BH players are not worth discussing.
Merely that your offence with them not being heavily discussed is somehow injurious to the very notion of Box Hill as a club and our association with them.
A pre-occupation with Hawthorn listed players, on an AFL Hawthorn FC site, is entirely natural for most posters/watchers on this forum.

Nope, not saying that BH players are not worth discussing.
Merely that your offence with them not being heavily discussed is somehow injurious to the very notion of Box Hill as a club and our association with them.
A pre-occupation with Hawthorn listed players, on an AFL Hawthorn FC site, is entirely natural for most posters/watchers on this forum.
Your statement was fine-ish other than one word “Heavily”. Nothing, I repeat Nothing that I have written asks for Box Hill players to be acknowledged more than their worth on the day. And that is my point, every player in the TEAM should be acknowledged for their role. Nothing more, nothing less.

Take out the word “heavily” from your post and then we can get to … I understand that some have that pre-occupation. I do as well to some extent.

But my initial statement stands: that I am annoyed by those that do not credit BoxHill players their value during a game. If you think otherwise, we can agree to disagree.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back