Review Round 1, 2024 - Fremantle vs. Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against Fremantle?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

As a team, we are not fit, especially our midfielders and half forwards and backs. We struggle to run with most teams. We were gassed before red time of the first quarter last week and this week.

We have a few burst players; Rayner, Bailey, Cameron, who can't impact contest after contest.

There is also very little movement off the ball. With the exception of Neale, we are very static at stoppages.

When the ball is in dispute, we hold our ground, while many of the opposition are on the move and able to react faster to a loose ball.

Our forwards rarely create space for each other, for one to lead in to, for an uncontested mark.

We have a lot of less skilled players; Robertson, Answerth, Gardiner, McInerney, who actively look to give the ball off to our better ball users, even if those players are under immediate pressure from the opposition.

We look like a team lacking confidence, with many players second guessing themselves and what they should be doing.

We also look like a team that plays a system that relies on just a few players to be our game winners, and if they are out of the game, our second tier group of players are incapable of stepping up, and our role players are scared to.

Sorry to bug you guys after a loss, but I am curious, why wouldn't Dunks have gone to Serong after 1/4 time or even half time?

He's your best 2 way player, and can go with aerobic beasts who racks it up like Serong. Dev Robertson never stood a chance.

Allowing 46 disposals and 10 clearances in a game from one player just seems criminal. Any insight on why Fagan wouldn't have pulled that lever - when Dunkley has done to that great effect on guys like Cripps in the past?

Sorry to bug you guys after a loss, but I am curious, why wouldn't Dunks have gone to Serong after 1/4 time or even half time?

He's your best 2 way player, and can go with aerobic beasts who racks it up like Serong. Dev Robertson never stood a chance.

Allowing 46 disposals and 10 clearances in a game from one player just seems criminal. Any insight on why Fagan wouldn't have pulled that lever - when Dunkley has done to that great effect on guys like Cripps in the past?
Get someone to ask Fages that at the PC and get ready for the personal put down.

Hopefully this performance will be the catalyst for change, but that's just me trying to be optimistic. I try to convince myself that these kinds of losses will be looked as blessings as disguises in hindsight. Maybe this bye is the reset this playing group needs.

Robertson offers less offensively/disposal wise so they were probably trying to keep our ball winners hunting rather than defending. Serong racked it up in the second half but his impact was much less I thought.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We do not have a mid that can break the lines
Dunkley and Lyons defensive so then we play Dev and Berry as tags and wonder why we lost the mid game
What you expect McCluggae to do everything

Honestly we have no plan B when teams beat our Plan A
If not for Joe, Starc, Harris, Hugh and Linc we would of lost by more.

and do not get me started on Oscar he starting to be a liability now. Rather play Fort

Hopefully this performance will be the catalyst for change, but that's just me trying to be optimistic. I try to convince myself that these kinds of losses will be looked as blessings as disguises in hindsight. Maybe this bye is the reset this playing group needs.
It’s a bit of a worry that a group who just came off a GF and multiple finals appearances needs a bye to reset after 2 games.

Can we go back to the first quarter last week and basically do everything from quarter time onwards, differently ?

Arrogance.

This club is kidding itself with the crap it’s been spouting the past few weeks particularly one after the GF and off season and two after last weeks inept effort.

We aren’t making the eight with our draw that’s for sure and will join the long list of losing grand finalists to meekly disappear into irrelevance the following year.

No doubt Fagan will offer up his usual BS excuses and learnings 🙄

Fagan & co nearly always go with their plan irregardless of the opposition. It's rare they have a successful game day change.

0-2 is far from ideal with a pretty daunting fixture this season. Obviously very early in the season but giving up two 8 goal runs in back to back weeks probably tells us that we are a long way off. The crazy thing is with a team full of flair players, we had absolutely nobody who could spark any life into the team tonight. It felt as if we just sleep walked into a 5 goal loss and did nothing about it.

At some point Rayner is going to need to develop into a good footballer because right now he's a 12 touch player who kicks less than a goal a game. It's simply not enough.

They at the least need to maintain an acceptable level of effort against the Pies otherwise a year that showed so much promise could turn into a disaster very quickly.

All good, we have the week off so the boys can do more episodes of Kick Ons.

This is such a nitpick but Rayner and clug aren't even the hosts of kick ons anymore.

I'm not sure that Cal Ah Chee and anthony corrie as co-hosts provide the same sort of whipping boy as the previous hosts were.

Back