Review Round 1, 2024 - Fremantle vs. Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against Fremantle?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I had a feeling when Greg Swann mentioned Cotchin had been engaged to help us “get over the final hump and win a flag” we were maybe getting ahead of ourselves a bit. Players need a reminder it’s a new season and last year and the years before that mean zilch. Hopefully these early losses are a bit of a wake up call in that regard.

One thing I have seen this group do many times in the past after a loss is flick a switch and go from looking like a bottom 4 side that fumbles everything, makes basic skill errors and misses easy shots on goal one week to getting everything right and looking a million bucks the next. Which in itself is frustrating but it does give me hope we can come out in a fortnight and belt Collingwood.

I had a feeling when Greg Swann mentioned Cotchin had been engaged to help us “get over the final hump and win a flag” we were maybe getting ahead of ourselves a bit. Players need a reminder it’s a new season and last year and the years before that mean zilch. Hopefully these early losses are a bit of a wake up call in that regard.

One thing I have seen this group do many times in the past after a loss is flick a switch and go from looking like a bottom 4 side that fumbles everything, makes basic skill errors and misses easy shots on goal one week to getting everything right and looking a million bucks the next. Which in itself is frustrating but it does give me hope we can come out in a fortnight and belt Collingwood.
We do that in 1 qtr at the moment, but in reverse.

Probably fair enough to say/think this after losing a GF by under a goal

Joe and Charlie are 30 this year.
Neale is 31.
Linc who is currently our best performing player is 31 this year.

You don't refresh when that caliber of player is towards the end but still playing great footy. In the time you take to refresh those players are then over the hill and the run back up is that much harder.

We need to push for a flag this year. We are 0-2.

Yup… we are in season. Can only refresh in the offseason

By all means we keep trying. We will know more in a couple of rounds

I think personally the attack on Lohmann, is outrageous and grossly unfair.He is young ,in and out of the team , like a yo-yo, not playing full games either. What on earth do you expect him to do.

To see what Lohmann has or has not its only fair to start him into the game and extend the number of games he plays , not as a sub.
Young players , i believe (if they are any good) tend to pick up the flow of game and its speed by playing game time, yet Fagan gives old players like JL who is slow as paint drying ,more game time. In my point of view, that is illogical and Not fair for Lohmann and by Fagan not playing youngesters like Lohmann , he is inadvertently setting the Lions back.

GIVE LOHMANN A FAIR DINKUM RED HOT CRACK. AND SEE IF HE TURNS OUT BE ANOTHER WILMOT. LET THE LIONS FANS SEE WHAT HE IS OR IS NOT CAPABLE OF DOING BY GIVING HIM A CHANCE.
I agree with the premise of what you are saying, those saying Lohmann is not up to it is a harsh assessment as it is extremely difficult coming on as a sub. With 3-4 consecutive games in the starting 22 he may start to flourish and pick up the speed of the game. He cannot be gifted that opportunity though. He isn’t displacing Linc at this stage.

I also disagree with those saying our depth is non-existent and Dev/Answerth aren’t up to it. I thought Answerth was pretty good today? For his first game back having not played much senior footy last year due to injury I thought he slotted back in relatively well. As for Dev, he has his limitations but he had an interrupted pre season and he may have played 1 VFL praccy match prior to today? He will be better for the run.

I agree with the premise of what you are saying, those saying Lohmann is not up to it is a harsh assessment as it is extremely difficult coming on as a sub. With 3-4 consecutive games in the starting 22 he may start to flourish and pick up the speed of the game. He cannot be gifted that opportunity though. He isn’t displacing Linc at this stage.

I also disagree with those saying our depth is non-existent and Dev/Answerth aren’t up to it. I thought Answerth was pretty good today? For his first game back having not played much senior footy last year due to injury I thought he slotted back in relatively well. As for Dev, he has his limitations but he had an interrupted pre season and he may have played 1 VFL praccy match prior to today? He will be better for the run.
My one hope is that many of our players could be under done.

That's how you play when you're not battle hardened . Fly when you're fresh and then can't lift your legs when the game gets tougher.

I agree re Lohmann but who does he push out of the side?
I would start to retire the old stock, JL being one and possibly Zorko.It’s time, Younger players are faster.If we persist with playing older players the young ones will only get disenchanted and simply leave for more game time elsewhere. Sometimes you can play too long and that has an adverse impact on one’s outstanding achievements. I would hate to see that happen to players who gave their heart and soul and served this club well, but unfortunately it is a fact of life. Sometimes old players need to be told the club and its future come 1st. Better to bow out gracefully than ruin your legacy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fagan should have been thanked for his sterling service after the GF loss. Wasn't going to get any more out of that group, and more new blood should have been recruited.

We'll pay for it. The game has passed fagan by... even in this short period of time

This club should of won flags in 2020 & 2023, the difference between our best and our worst football is so stark and we continue to ignore our weaknesses. This list is so talented and capable of achieving anything on their day however, when things don't go their way in a game they turn to water. We won't win a premiership until players develop a never give up attitude and we build mental resilience and focus.

You're probably right . Even though he really did try hard today to stem the flow. One of the few.

Yeah he did and I just wish his effort matched his ability but unfortunately his limitations are just in the wrong areas for the current game. I wish though you could bottle his effort and give it to the passengers in the team.

I assume the fact that Berry played back and not on ball given our outs and their midfield means he is unable to with his shoulders or whatever?

If there was a game you’d throw him in the middle it would have been tonight.

I assume the fact that Berry played back and not on ball given our outs and their midfield means he is unable to with his shoulders or whatever?

If there was a game you’d throw him in the middle it would have been tonight.

Given he can’t play mid anymore, he shouldn’t be in the team but he’s an undroppable so keep enjoying watching him do nothing for years to come.

A good midfield group has probably covered up how bad big O really is. I thought the criticism was a touch harsh last year at times but gee he doesn't seem to offer much. Today a number of taps were just nowhere near our players, that torp, can't cover his man in defence and not a good target up forward.

Rayner, Lyons and Cameron...

There's 2 things which Fagan said we needed to improve on, 1) our handball game 2) how we use our wings.
At one point in the 3rd quarter we had a 2:1 kick to handball ratio. If we'd been working on our handball game, there's very little evidence that we have so far.
Our wings seem to be getting less involved in the play so far as well.

Not defending Os form but some of the clean taps he got went straight to Freo players and he looked confused as to why we had no representation. So I’m guessing some of the mids weren’t where they were supposed to be. Bailey was one.

Was saying all another team needs to beat us.
Ashcroft and Doedee coming in will help.
We always get smashed in the midfield as it is pretty one paced

Everyone waiting for Rayner to break out.. He might just be what he is a good player who has great games.

An ok player who has 2 good games a year*

Narr Cammy is ok, just leave him forward line though. He’s not fit enough or interested in being fit enough to be a mid.

I think personally the attack on Lohmann, is outrageous and grossly unfair.He is young ,in and out of the team , like a yo-yo, not playing full games either. What on earth do you expect him to do.

To see what Lohmann has or has not its only fair to start him into the game and extend the number of games he plays , not as a sub.
Young players , i believe (if they are any good) tend to pick up the flow of game and its speed by playing game time, yet Fagan gives old players like JL who is slow as paint drying ,more game time. In my point of view, that is illogical and Not fair for Lohmann and by Fagan not playing youngesters like Lohmann , he is inadvertently setting the Lions back.

GIVE LOHMANN A FAIR DINKUM RED HOT CRACK. AND SEE IF HE TURNS OUT BE ANOTHER WILMOT. LET THE LIONS FANS SEE WHAT HE IS OR IS NOT CAPABLE OF DOING BY GIVING HIM A CHANCE.

Kai.. is that you?

I genuinely just think it’s Fagan Brain.

I just can’t bring myself to believe that after the Oliver game in 2022 Fagan wouldnt run him in the middle and the Mitch robbo style wing role if he had the physical capacity to do so.

I at least understood Rayner down back. I have nfi what’s going on with Berry down back.

That was an absolutely insipid performance. I don't even know where to start, no run, no heart, no effort. Simply pathetic. Getting 8 in a row kicked on you 2 weeks in a row spells a problem. And I'm sick of harping on about it but Oscar is absolutely f$+king useless. I'd rather have Zorko in the ruck than him, at least he wouldn't tap to the opposition as often! Answerth useless! Why in the hell did they pick him over Prior? Berry just a waste of space.
Very little to take out of that game, except that Linc continues to show heart and pace.
At least next week I get a break from this depressing display.

Back