Review Round 1, 2024 vs West Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

One of the centre bounces was so bad Soldo was going to catch it and give it back, the ump called play on and West Coast cleared and I think scored from it.

I'm serious about the impact of heat on decision making. I just can't imagine umpires running at full speed in 30+ degree heat over hours leads to optimal decisions.

So how to deal? Interchange?

Last edited:
Predicted 14.18 to 9.6 so I wasn’t far off. Better margin but worse goal kicking. Definitely felt like it should’ve been a much bigger win.

We’ve really lost the art of flat tracking, we were amazing at it in 2017.

And what about dixons first quarter and a bit, Jesus, I’ve never given up on him but that was even better than I expected. Made a mockery of all the fans calling for his head.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

The whinging about the weather lol. It was 30 degrees not 45 degrees. You lot wouldn't be able to go outside half the year if you lived in Perth.

I was sweaty especially in the second half when the sun was beaming right on me but I really enjoyed the conditions. I loved it, reminded me a bit of being at the cricket but the footy was on instead and the beers were going down accordingly.

But I love summer and hate winter

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

if they wont play Williams back then surely he is worth a go forward? He is a huge upgrade on DBJ/Mcentee. Drafted as a dangerous forward type with genuine goal sense. Something they lack in spades.

That heat plus humidity was brutal and I found shade, how anyone can sit in the outer beats me. Game was lacklustre scrappy WC tried hard , but we barely got out 2nd gear most of the game, fickle wind and crap umpiring didnt help

Conner Rozee and Zak Butters are going to be great leaders.
Dylan Williams is a better footballer than Lachie Jones, he holds marks and doesn't fumble.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dyl Will not being in the side is a joke. One of our best last year. Solid as a rock. Yeah he's not fast but who cares, Jones is fast but fumbles absolutely everything. Can't catch a ball to save his life.
Dyl could have played today but when playing Syd/GWS/Collingwood he’d get outrun every time. Beautiful skills but he doesn’t have the speed.

6.18 is still probably three goals and fifteen behinds or so more than Sweet would kick if we played him up forward for 8 games. Unless Georgie is ready, he's still the best option we've got for that role.
A serious question.
Are u guys referring to Dixon

I would say about three quarters of the ground was permanently in the sun and by the way it was 34 degrees when I left in my car from War Memorial Drive. It as bloody hot!! (& add that dollop of humidity as well)

Unfortunately, the geometry of AO has the majority of seating facing the west, northwest so patrons will always bake in the hot afternoon Autum sun.

My poor old father couldn’t bare it, so he left at halftime.
It was a ridiculous fixtured time slot by the AFL.

Dyl could have played today but when playing Syd/GWS/Collingwood he’d get outrun every time. Beautiful skills but he doesn’t have the speed.
Can you give an example of when this has actually happened at AFL level? I feel like he gets around this with his positioning.

Butters didn't give away that free kick, it was DBJ who came in with a sloppy high tackle from behind immediately after the Butters hit. Still a joke that Butters didn't get the free himself though.
Reversed free kicks are one of my pet hates in AFL. Not only does the actual person causing the incident get off, they get rewarded. At worst it should cancel out and be a ball up.

On the theme of #marginalgains:

Last year, Port scored 109 points from 59 inside 50s and conceded 69 points from 48 inside 50s.

This year, Port scored 120 points from 57 inside 50s but conceded 70 points from just 40 inside 50s.

The reduction in inside 50s is good. So our team defence has improved. However, we're still weak against those slingshot teams. Our defence should have held them to 58 points.

I'm giving them a pass because it was ******* hot and I wouldn't want to defend hard in those conditions.
This year lol.

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Reversed free kicks are one of my pet hates in AFL. Not only does the actual person causing the incident get off, they get rewarded. At worst it should cancel out and be a ball up.
It wasn't a reversal. McGovern's high contact on Butters wasn't paid, before DBJ came in a second later and caught McGovern high, which resulted in a free kick.

Unfortunately, the geometry of AO has the majority of seating facing the west, northwest so patrons will always bake in the hot afternoon Autum sun.

My poor old father couldn’t bare it, so he left at halftime.
It was a ridiculous fixtured time slot by the AFL.
It was horrible. Twilight games at AO are a terrible idea because of the sun. Add heat to it, it is almost irresponsible by the AFL to have a game at that time.

It should have been either the second Saturday night game or the 1300 Sunday game. As the AFL was never going to give prime time to a non-Victorian game this week.

But given it was 11 days after the season started before Port or a WA team got a game or Adelaide and Perth hosted an AFL game, it tells you a lot about the priority given by the AFL to football in SA and WA.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back