VFL Game Day Round 1: 66 point thrashing from Brisbane

Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
None of that makes any sense.

Surely the higher the standard you can get in the second tier comp the better it is for talent pathways into the AFL.

As a recruiter wouldn't you want as many of the potential AFL recruits as possible playing in the same comp against similarly talented players rather than scattered across a myriad of local leagues?

A lot of the quality of the VFL came from having a bucketload of undrafted guys that were good, but not quite AFL standard, playing in to their mid 20s.

It's hard to prioritise it as a development comp - which seems to be what the AFL want - whilst retaining the guys in their mid 20s, without paying them a decent amount. Local leagues can offer more money at the moment.

The leagues and talent pathways in Victoria are quite convoluted, you've got NAB League, VFL, School Comps all semi-competing with one-another for young guys, along with local leagues and the VAFA paying older guys.

There’s no semantics on my behalf. I’ve given ages numbers and games played.

I thought you guys had an older team and more experienced team than what we put out on the field.

And you still haven’t proved I am wrong on either count.

Was your team older?

How many players have players AFL, and how many games for each player.

My mistake was even bothering to quote you.:rolleyes:

Cutler - experienced AFL 77 games
Bryan - AFL listed no AFL games. No VFL games.
Baker - former Swans academy player.
Smithson - played SANFL 26 games.
Zerk Thatcher - 13 AFL games.
Atley - 4 AFL games for Port
Hobbs - no AFL or VFL. No football last year.
Derkson - played for NT Thunder under 18 at the start of last season. No senior footy.
Harrold - 39 WAFL games
Bannister - not even sure where he has played but it has not been in any major comp. No senior footy.
Dunkley - VFL expereince with Casey.
Hird- AFL listed , zero games. Was playing soccer until last season and was injured last year. No senior footy until this year.
Phillips - 46 AFL games
Cahill - 5 AFL games
Johnson - AFL listed. No AFL games. Injured last year. No senior footy. 4 games back from ACL injury.
McLarty - VFL experince with Collingwood. No footy last year.
Tynan - VFL experience with Essendon. No footy last year.
Ambrose - 87 AFL games. Just back from injury. No games last year through injury. Second game back.
Brown - from Bendigo Pioneers. No footy last year. No senior footy.
Eyre - AFL list. No games. Essendon academy player. No footy last year. No senior footy.
Paea - No senior footy. Calder Cannons player. No footy last year. No senior footy.
Younin- experienced VFL player. No footy last year. Limited pre season so far.

I would be correct in saying most of the Brisbane VFL development players in the side are from the academy .
15 AFL listed Brisbane players v 9 AFL listed Essendon players. Experience is not just limited to games. Experience training 6 days a week on an AFL list makes a decent amount of difference at VFL level. Even more so when 5 more of our side had no senior experience anywhere and some of our others where under 30 games experience in state league footy and no training in an elite AFL set up.

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Cutler - experienced AFL 77 games
Bryan - AFL listed no AFL games. No VFL games.
Baker - former Swans academy player.
Smithson - played SANFL 26 games.
Zerk Thatcher - 13 AFL games.
Atley - 4 AFL games for Port
Hobbs - no AFL or VFL. No football last year.
Derkson - played for NT Thunder under 18 at the start of last season. No senior footy.
Harrold - 39 WAFL games
Bannister - not even sure where he has played but it has not been in any major comp. No senior footy.
Dunkley - VFL expereince with Casey.
Hird- AFL listed , zero games. Was playing soccer until last season and was injured last year. No senior footy until this year.
Phillips - 46 AFL games
Cahill - 5 AFL games
Johnson - AFL listed. No AFL games. Injured last year. No senior footy. 4 games back from ACL injury.
McLarty - VFL experince with Collingwood. No footy last year.
Tynan - VFL experience with Essendon. No footy last year.
Ambrose - 87 AFL games. Just back from injury. No games last year through injury. Second game back.
Brown - from Bendigo Pioneers. No footy last year. No senior footy.
Eyre - AFL list. No games. Essendon academy player. No footy last year. No senior footy.
Paea - No senior footy. Calder Cannons player. No footy last year. No senior footy.
Younin- experienced VFL player. No footy last year. Limited pre season so far.

You're your own worst enemy right now

My mistake was even bothering to quote you.:rolleyes:

Back