Swan4Brownlow

All Australian
Feb 11, 2008
Victoria
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Portland Trailblazers
Haven't seen a thread pop up discussing what our potential best 22 might look like in round 1 so thought I might get a thread up and running. Obviously, this is going to be injury dependent but seeing as though we are still 3 months out and don't have anyone that I can think of with an injury at this stage which will rule them out, I would assume all players will be available round 1.

FB: J Ramsay - L Keeffe - M Scharenberg
HB: J Howe - B Reid - B Sinclair
C: D Wells - A Treloar - S Sidebottom
HF: C Mayne - D Moore - J De Goey
FF: A Fasolo - J White - J Elliott
R: B Grundy - S Pendlebury - T Adams

B: J Crisp - L Greenwood - W Hoskin-Elliott - T Varcoe

I selected Howe as a half back even though I recall one of the main reasons he came to us was apparently Bucks told him he would be used forward. I think Howe could play a similar role to Easton Wood and be very effective in the air for us picking off intercept marks. If Howe is used as a forward then I think he replaces De Goey on a HFF, De Goey goes to the bench in place of Greenwood and a HB'er like Maynard may come in.

While we might appear to be lacking in terms of tall timber, guys like Scharenberg, Howe, White & Mayne all appear big enough to play some of those roles (think about the Dogs and Swans and the size of their backlines in the GF).

When you go through all the names we really do have a plethora of midfield talent, it is up to Bucks to get the best out of this bunch and implement a system that not only allows us to be effective with the ball but also without the ball. I find it illogical that Collingwood mids are incapable of running defensively or are just a lazy bunch, that weakness in our game really must be rectified.

I'd be interested to see some other peoples thoughts on what might be our best 22 come round 1.

I would have Dunn ahead of Keeffe.

Schranberg and Him won't be ready for RD 1. Think he come back thru the VFL for awhile. Could bring his Mate Aish in for 1

FB: Jeremy Howe - Lynden Dunn - Tom Langdon
HB: Brayden Maynard - Ben Reid - Taylor Adams
C: D Wells - Adam Treloar - Jack Crisp
HF: Chris Mayne - Darcy Moore - Jordan De Goey
FF: Alex Fasolo - Jesse White - Jamie Elliott
R: Brodie Grundy - Scott Pendlebury - Steele Sidebottom

B: Ben Sinclair - Levi Greenwood - Will Hoskin-Elliott - Travis Varcoe

Ramsay and Scharenberg to start the year in the VFL alongside Aish who will be looking to push through with some good form. Wills and Keeffe both stiff, but may both finish the year in the 22.

Ramsay- Dunn- Mcclarty
Howe- Reid- Maynard
Wells -Treloar-sidebottom
Varcoe-Mayne-Fasolo
Greenwood-Moore-elliot
Grundy-Pendlebury-Adams

Aish-Crisp-Broomhead-white

Ramsay and Scharenberg to start the year in the VFL alongside Aish who will be looking to push through with some good form. Wills and Keeffe both stiff, but may both finish the year in the 22.

Agree completely other than Aish for Sinkers.
Think Aish starts on a wing from around 1 based on exposed form at the back end of last season

FB: Jeremy Howe - Lynden Dunn - Matthew Scharenberg

B: James Aish- Levi Greenwood - Will Hoskin-Elliott - Travis Varcoe

I'd be really surprised if Scharenberg starts round 1 in the seniors. With 4 senior games to date and coming off his second knee reco; I think the club will give him some time in the VFL to get some confidence in his body and show some form that warrants selection.

The Round One team is likely to be a different to my best 22 (see below)

I suspect Matt Scharenberg will be given one or two VFL "steadier" games before he enters the seniors and never looks back. :)

Also think Lyndn Dunn gets Round one being the Bulldogs (big body defence type to be taken) as also Lachie Keeffe will be trialled for a good few games to see where he is at.

Also think Jessie White starts the season before Cox.

I will assume Wells is fit for Round one as he is required silk.

I will take the risk of not selecting Blair but somehow think he'll be picked, but I will risk it ;)

Round 1:

B. Ramsay ~ Dunn ~ Maynard
HB. Howe ~ Reid ~ Adams
C. Wells ~ Treloar ~ Sidebottom
HF. Mayne ~ Moore ~ Hoskin-Elliot
F. Elliot ~ White ~ Fasolo
R. Grundy ~ Pendlebury (c) ~ De Goey
I. Crisp ~ Varcoe ~ Aish ~ Smith

Futures market:

In: Scharenberg, Keefe, Cox
Out: Dunn, White, Smith

Best 22 (finals time if we get there)

B. Scharenberg ~ Keeffe ~ Maynard
HB. Howe ~ Reid ~ Adams
C. Wells ~ Treloar ~ Sidebottom
HF. Mayne ~ Moore ~ Hoskin-Elliot
F. Elliot ~ Cox ~ Fasolo
R. Grundy ~ Pendlebury (c) ~ De Goey
I. Crisp ~ Varcoe ~ Ramsay ~ Aish

Last edited:
I'll wait for Thursday night before the game

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fair enough too.
And likely be somebody injured etc, somebody strong at practice etc.

What I really like about the Scharenberg discussion, besides it indulges my fetish ;) is how there seems some view that he really, when / if fit becomes at some stage solid best 22.

Why is this important?

Because I think we are collectively realising, for us to become a better side, ie competing for finals, we need players like Matt to go up levels.

If some of our unproven new crop go up levels, we might just get there.
If it's more of the same, well we aren't going far.

It will be the group, maybe not all, but most of Maynard, Scharenberg, De Goey, Aish, Hyphen Elliot etc who must become top bracket talent if we get there. And others.

I like the side but will Langdon make the cut round 1? Didn't play most of the year and by all reports he hasn't done any training this year yet. I think that's put him back a fair bit.

I like the side but will Langdon make the cut round 1? Didn't play most of the year and by all reports he hasn't done any training this year yet. I think that's put him back a fair bit.
If that's true then I'd say Ramsay would be in the picture for that back pocket spot.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

B: Ramsay, Dunn, Sinclair
HB: Howe, Reid, Scharenberg
C: Wells, Adams, Sidebottom
HF: Fasolo, Moore, Varcoe
F: Elliott, Cox, Mayne
Fol: Grundy, Pendles, Treloar
Int: Greenwood, Crisp, Aish, Hoskin-Elliot

Yeah I think Ramsey and Berg will be looked at very closely in the NAB cup even though they haven't played in a long time. I'd say Ramsey would get the nod.

Agree. They will have a full preseason, 1-2 intraclub practise matches, and 2-3 NAB Cup games. That is sufficient match practise for someone to be considered for Round 1 if their form across these warrants selection.

I would have Dunn ahead of Keeffe.

Schranberg and Him won't be ready for RD 1. Think he come back thru the VFL for awhile. Could bring his Mate Aish in for 1
I tend to agree but wouldn't write either off just yet, keen to see how both shape up in the preseason games.

Agree completely other than Aish for Sinkers.
Think Aish starts on a wing from around 1 based on exposed form at the back end of last season
Sinclair in 2016 was better than Aish despite all his injury concerns so I have no idea how you came to that conclusion...

Agree. They will have a full preseason, 1-2 intraclub practise matches, and 2-3 NAB Cup games. That is sufficient match practise for someone to be considered for Round 1 if their form across these warrants selection.

Yeah I'm with you on this one Bean.....if there back in full training which I believe they are then they are good to go and providing they perform during the
pre-season games then I can't see any reasons as to why they wouldn't be considered.....guys like these 2 are super critical to our chances going forward.

Start of season

B: Sinclair Dunn Maynard
HB: Howe Reid Adams
C: Wells Sidebottom Aish
HF: Fasolo White Mayne
F: Blair Moore WHE
Foll: Grundy Pendlebury Treloar
INT: De Goey Crisp Goldsack Greenwood

Just think it is going to take longer than expected for the likes of Elliott, Ramsay, Scharanberg, Langdon, Broomhead and Keeffe to be up to speed after long absence but expect all to be best 22 by the end of the season with Dunn, Sinclair, Greenwood, Goldsack and De Goey and Blair on the outer.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back