Prediction Round 1 Best 22

Remove this Banner Ad

So who is definitely unavailable for selection for Rd1?

Is it only Sinclair, Wells, Elliott and Langdon among those who have made their AFL debuts? And of those, only Sinclair is an LTI? If so, that's got to be the best shape we've been in at this time of the season for many years. Exciting!

B - Ramsay Dunn Schade
HB - Howe Reid Maynard
C - Crisp Pendlebury Phillips
HF - Varcoe White Sidebottom
F - Fasolo Moore Mayne
R - Grundy Adams Treloar
INT - Smith Aish Hoskin-Elliott Greenwood
Happy with that team for round 1

Goldsack - Dunn - Howe
Schade - Reid - Maynard
Crisp - Pendlebury - Varcoe
Hoskin-Elliot - Cox - Sidebottom
Fasolo - Moore - Mayne
Grundy - Adams - Treloar
Smith - Phillips - White - Ramsey

Aish - Greenwood - Blair

I'd like to see how the Moore/Cox/White thing actually goes and I think Cox could really stretch the Bulldogs defence with his height.

Be interesting to see how the bench is used this year.
Maybe we go back to resting the ruckman on the bench a bit more often.

The abolition of the sub rule combined with the new "third man in" rule certainly combined add to the argument that two genuine ruckmen may be able to play iin the one side. Perhaps Cox and White can play in the same 22 with one of them getting a fair bit of bench time depending upon how the game is progressing

Is it only Sinclair, Wells, Elliott and Langdon among those who have made their AFL debuts? And of those, only Sinclair is an LTI? If so, that's got to be the best shape we've been in at this time of the season for many years. Exciting!

Rupert? Haven't heard a lot about him either.

We have to play Cox and use him in the ruck in this game.

It's about the only advantage I see us having over them, our possible ruck domination.

The midfields' break about even while their team defense will make it hard for us to score. And no one knows how our backline is going to hold up, especially if they get the ball in there quickly.

So it comes down to the ruck, with a combination of English and Boyd/Cloke vs Grundy and Cox.

Let Jesse run around the forward line for the whole game while Cox and Grundy swap through the fowards/ruck/bench.

I will say there isn't any better time to play a reigning premier then round one, they are 5 weeks behind us in preparation, or in theory should be (although didnt effect Sydney last year in round one).

If we had Elliott and Wells I'd be putting money on us, but without those two absolute class recruits (Billy is like a recruit due to not playing at all in 2016) I just don't trust us to get over the line.

Early tip is for us to lose a heartbreaker by under 2 goals.

We have to play Cox and use him in the ruck in this game.

It's about the only advantage I see us having over them, our possible ruck domination.

The midfields' break about even while their team defense will make it hard for us to score. And no one knows how our backline is going to hold up, especially if they get the ball in there quickly.

So it comes down to the ruck, with a combination of English and Boyd/Cloke vs Grundy and Cox.

Let Jesse run around the forward line for the whole game while Cox and Grundy swap through the fowards/ruck/bench.

I will say there isn't any better time to play a reigning premier then round one, they are 5 weeks behind us in preparation, or in theory should be (although didnt effect Sydney last year in round one).

If we had Elliott and Wells I'd be putting money on us, but without those two absolute class recruits (Billy is like a recruit due to not playing at all in 2016) I just don't trust us to get over the line.

Early tip is for us to lose a heartbreaker by under 2 goals.

We match up very well vs the dogs in personnel and game style.

We really should of beaten them 2 from 2 last year if not for losing our whole bench and 3/4 of it in the other game.

Something like this looks likely now the injuries are coming in:

B - Ramsay Dunn Smith
HB - Howe Reid Maynard
F - Fasolo Moore Mayne
R - Grundy Adams Treloar
INT - Cox Aish Hoskin-Elliott Blair

I really like the look of English but surely you guys don't want to blow him out too early, the kid is a stick! The same thing will happen to him as it did to Josh Fraser.

I think English is a great pickup but you're right he'll just get brushed aside.

I'm hearing Campbell is good to go?

Yeah it's not unlikely but if he's underdone I wouldn't risk him.

Should be a good battle in the midfield but I can see the hitout tally firmly in your favour. Whether that's a factor or not is another story.

Something like this looks likely now the injuries are coming in:

B - Ramsay Dunn Smith
HB - Howe Reid Maynard
F - Fasolo Moore Mayne
R - Grundy Adams Treloar
INT - Cox Aish Hoskin-Elliott Blair

Yeah only just read about Degoey broken hand (accident at home WTF! must of been Howes frisby throwing dog again) and Greenwoods hip injury...FFS.

I am sure Bucks is cursed.

Can add Degoey and Greenwood to the list apparently, Broken hand (Degoey 3 Weeks) and hip surgery (Greenwood 5 weeks).

Assuming no more injuries at training this week:

B - Ramsay Dunn Schade
HB - Howe Reid Maynard
C - Crisp Treloar Phillips
F - Fasolo Moore Mayne
R - Grundy Adams Pendlebury
INT - Smith Aish Hoskin-Elliott Blair

EMG - Cox Goldsack Oxley

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Unchanged from my call last week except I've put Maynard back in for Goldsack.

Maynard Schade Ramsay
Howe Reid Varcoe
WHE Sidebottom Adams
Fasolo White De Goey
Phillips Moore Mayne

Grundy Treloar Pendlebury

Smith Crisp Cox Blair

Emg Dunn Goldsack Aish

Cox should play even though we run the risk of being top heavy. Sounds like De Goey will be fit.

MY third attempt!!!

Maynard Schade Ramsay
Howe Reid Varcoe
Smith Sidebottom Adams
Fasolo White Hoskin-Elliot
Phillips Moore Mayne

Grundy Treloar Pendlebury

Aish Crisp Cox Blair

Emg Dunn Goldsack Broomhead

Aish in for De Goey.

Update form the above which I posted over a month ago

FB: Ramsay - Dunn - Maynard
HB: Howe - Reid - Smith
C: Sidebottom - Pendlebury - Phillips
HF: Mayne - White - DeGoey
FF: Cox - Moore - Fasolo
Foll: Grundy - Treloar - Adams
Inter: Varcoe - Crisp - WHE - Aish

Emerg: Schade, Greenwood, Blair

In: Smith, Phillips, Cox, WHE
Out: Wells, Elliott, Sinclair, Scharenberg
With the news of DeGoey and Greenwood now ruled out for Friday:

FB: Ramsay - Dunn - Maynard
HB: Howe - Reid - Smith
C: Sidebottom - Pendlebury - Phillips
HF: Mayne - White - Varcoe
FF: Cox - Moore - Fasolo
Foll: Grundy - Treloar - Adams
Inter: Blair - Crisp - WHE - Aish

Emerg: Schade, Goldsack, Broomhead

In: Blair
Out: DeGoey

Injured players who would be in best 22:
- Wells
- Elliott
- DeGoey
- Sinclair

Assuming no more injuries at training this week:

B - Ramsay Dunn Schade
HB - Howe Reid Maynard
C - Crisp Treloar Phillips
F - Fasolo Moore Mayne
R - Grundy Adams Pendlebury
INT - Smith Aish Hoskin-Elliott Blair

EMG - Cox Goldsack Oxley
Hope you were touching wood with botn hands and both feet w hen you assumed that!

B: Schade Dunn Ramsay
HB: Maynard Reid Howe
C: Crisp Adams Smith
HF: Sidebottom Moore Varcoe
F: Fasolo White Mayne
R: Grundy Pendlebury Treloar
I: Blair Aish Phillips Hoskin-Elliott
E: Broomhead, Goldsack, Cox

B: Ramsay, Schade, Howe
HB: Smith, Reid, Maynard
C: Varcoe, Sidebottom, Hoskin-Elliott
HF: Adams, White, Fasolo
F: Cox, Moore, Mayne
Foll: Grundy, Treloar, Pendles
Int: Crisp, Phillips, Goldsack, Aish

EMG; Dunn, Blair (wishful thinking I know), Broomhead

I can't see both Schade and Dunn playing, too similar to play in the same side I would have thought unless the opposition has a plethora of talls, which the Dogs do not. Goldsack offers more flexibility so he plays this week.

So no Greenwood, De Goey, Wells, Elliott, Sinclair.

Rupert Wills would also be a fair way off I'd think.

There's a lot of inside mids missing there.

Big responsibility on Adams and Crisp to pull the load here. Aish will get his run as well.

Big responsibility on Brodie to give our mids first use too, particularly against the Dogs second rate ruckmen. Most important player for us heading into Friday night.

Changes to my rolling R1 team considering the injuries that have come to light:

Out : DeGoey
In: Aish

FB:
Jeremy Howe - Lynden Dunn - Josh Smith
HB: Brayden Maynard - Ben Reid - Jackson Ramsay
C: Travis Varcoe - Adam Treloar - Tom Phillips
HF: Steele Sidebottom - Chris Mayne - Alex Fasolo
FF: Mason Cox - Darcy Moore - Tim Broomhead
R: Brodie Grundy - Scott Pendlebury - Taylor Adams

INT: James Aish - Hoskin-Elliott - Jessie White - Jack Crisp

EMERG: Goldsack, Blair, Schade

On the cusp - Sharenberg, Wills, Brown, Goldsack, Daicos, Schade, Keeffe, Blair, Wells (inj), DeGoey (Inj), Greenwood (inj), Sinclair (inj).

Last edited:
Surely Buckley is either kidding himself, or just putting on spin to make things look better then the s*** mess it is currently with injuries. He said the list is in good shape, well l call BS on that. Missing 5 guys who would be best 22, at least in the best 25, sitting on the sidelines injured, l dont call that in good shape. If player 34 to 38 were sitting out injured, l would say our core list is in good shape. Worst thing is all the injuries are not one weekers, they all seem to be 3+ weeks away. Once again club spin to appease the supporters. l dont expect to see any of Elliott, De Goey, Greenwood or Wells to play in the first 5 weeks of this season. By then the season could already effectively be over.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back