Round 1: Blues d Tigers by 36 points

Remove this Banner Ad

Well that was satisfying. Scrappy at times, but that's to be expected. Loved the way we locked it in our half for so much of the game and then how we put a string of goals on in the third. Looked like we ran out of puff a little in the last but by then the game was over.

Lots of great individual efforts, especially Prespakis (of course), but the one I want to highlight is Downie. Just a really impressive player IMO. Talented, hard working, plays multiple roles. Reckon she doesn't get the plaudits she deserves.

Well that was satisfying. Scrappy at times, but that's to be expected. Loved the way we locked it in our half for so much of the game and then how we put a string of goals on in the third. Looked like we ran out of puff a little in the last but by then the game was over.

Lots of great individual efforts, especially Prespakis (of course), but the one I want to highlight is Downie. Just a really impressive player IMO. Talented, hard working, plays multiple roles. Reckon she doesn't get the plaudits she deserves.
Downie is Plowman?

no question - seems they've been told to pick it up at all costs - not always the best option.........

Sorry for the intrusion guys. But when I played youth girls we got paid a free kick against (why I have no clue) if we soccered it along the ground. I wonder if that rule has been sub consciously ingrained in a few of the girls?

I even got a free kick against once when I soccered it through for a goal and I may or may not still be spewing about that 😂

thanks for the info - that has to have something to do with it and I get why they wanted young girls/boys to pick it up (skill development) and stop the game from reverting to a soccer match........

thanks for the info - that has to have something to do with it and I get why they wanted young girls/boys to pick it up (skill development) and stop the game from reverting to a soccer match........

Actually yes I think that's probably one reason for that rule. Also because I guess they didn't want anyone running in while a girl had her head over the footy, going for a soccer and knocking her block off.

Effectively got McEvoy and change for Davey. Can't complain. I prefer Loynes and Harrington as captains.

Wouldn't the Bri trade, and the picks we received, have helped in putting in the bid for Egan as well though? If so, that's a little more than change, she looks like she'll be a player.

I reckon trading Bri for all those picks might end up one of the best things the club has done. I mean Bri was/is good and all, but her influence in games will only diminish as more pure footballers like Maddy come through the system.

Re skills: at the risk of being accused of sexism, I think they could reduce the size of the ball a little more than they have already. The female playes seem to be too easily spoilt from getting off a quick and accurate handball and I think if has something to do with a lack of arm/wrist strength relative to the weight of the ball. At least that's the way it seems for a lot of them. I've not seen many female footballers (apart from Maddy, but she's such a stand-out) able deliver solid handpasses to teammates. Reducing the size/weight of the ball further would help with just about every form of skill execution I reckon.

As the women's comp becomes more professional and they're able to spend more time both in the gym and with skill work, the powers-that-be could look at steadily increasing it again.

But I digress. A nice solid hitout to start the new season and a confidence boosting win for the girls, was nice to see. Plenty to work on, but enough there to know that they'll be a fairly competitive unit this year.

Wouldn't the Bri trade, and the picks we received, have helped in putting in the bid for Egan as well though? If so, that's a little more than change, she looks like she'll be a player.

Egan was bid on with our own first rounder.

The trade was Davey, 67 and 82 for 2, 26, 44 and 59.

I only said 'change' because I couldn't remember the other picks at the time I posted.

Egan was bid on with our own first rounder.

The trade was Davey, 67 and 82 for 2, 26, 44 and 59.

I only said 'change' because I couldn't remember the other picks at the time I posted.

Ahhh, right. Surprised our fist pick was so high, but forgot that there's fewer teams for the women's comp.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Outstanding pressure on the ball by us the whole game. Our forward line was a lot more potent than theirs, but it was that pressure and repeat inside 50s that allowed the forwards to do their thing.

Moodie and Downie will be a great combo for us again this year. It's a huge advantage we have.

Man if Vescio could kick 40m she'd be one of the best players in the comp. She's good, but it's a glaring weakness.

Great start to the season, but it really was a warm up for the games against more established groups.
Personally, I thought you looked better in blue than green, but congratulations none the less...

I reckon trading Bri for all those picks might end up one of the best things the club has done. I mean Bri was/is good and all, but her influence in games will only diminish as more pure footballers like Maddy come through the system.

Re skills: at the risk of being accused of sexism, I think they could reduce the size of the ball a little more than they have already. The female playes seem to be too easily spoilt from getting off a quick and accurate handball and I think if has something to do with a lack of arm/wrist strength relative to the weight of the ball. At least that's the way it seems for a lot of them. I've not seen many female footballers (apart from Maddy, but she's such a stand-out) able deliver solid handpasses to teammates. Reducing the size/weight of the ball further would help with just about every form of skill execution I reckon.

As the women's comp becomes more professional and they're able to spend more time both in the gym and with skill work, the powers-that-be could look at steadily increasing it again.

But I digress. A nice solid hitout to start the new season and a confidence boosting win for the girls, was nice to see. Plenty to work on, but enough there to know that they'll be a fairly competitive unit this year.

I couldn’t help think the gap between the elite under 18 system appears far smaller on average than that of the current men’s league, hence Prespakis, McEvoy coming in and dominating straight away.

It looks like effective two more talented players that will play on for a number of years for one very solid mid that is currently in their prime, but that’s not a massive deal in this era.

McEvoy looks like a natural footballer that’ll serve us well into the future.

How good is footy?
Winning goes alright too.

A nice first up effort by the ladies. Quite a good team effort, with plenty of defensive pressure all over the ground preventing the Tiggies from being able to link up.

We certainly should have been further in front at half time. There seemed to be a lack of cohesion in our forward line in the 1st half. Players were getting in each other's way & not working to provide a plus one when we had the Tiggies defence outnumbered or out of position. We can't afford this type of dysfunction against the better teams. We obviously improved in the 3rd quarter, allowing us to get reward on the scoreboard & put the game out of the Tiggie's reach.

Although I called it a good team effort, I will single out some players for mention, because I can:

Prespakis - had a heavy tag in the 1st half & also copped a head knock which shook her up a bit. Like a true champion she took her game to the next level in the 3rd quarter & took the game away from the Tiggies.

Gee - I commented on her pre-game & she didn't let me down. Like Maddie, she is predominantly a one grab player, has quick hands & is a beautiful kick of the ball. She provided the silk in a game that was quite scruffy at times. Her pick-up & handball to Maddie in the 3rd quarter, resulting in a goal to another teammate was the highlight of the game for me. Memo to self, do not scream "Georgie is my girl" while sitting next to the wife. It took some quick talking to rescue the situation.

McEvoy - impressive, particularly in the 1st half. Looks to play relatively tall & takes a good mark. It was a shame she missed that shot on goal in the 1st quarter. Like the above 2 she has good hands & footy smarts. With these 3 youngsters we are seeing the quality which is coming through the junior system. As more of them filter through into the competition, the quality of football will get better & better.

Doonan - for a 1st gamer coming out of Ireland she looked anything but new to the game. Once she gets the feel for the game, I think she will be quite damaging.

Moody - totally dominant in the ruck & was Kreuzer-like at ground level. She finished the season strong last year & if this game is any indication, she is going to be part of AA talk.

Downie - did some fine work behind the ball, as well as when pinch-hitting in the ruck & drifting forward.

Brazzale - got off to a slowish start, but I thought the run she provided in the middle stages of the game was a factor in us taking the game away from the Tiggies. She has continued on from where she left off late last year.

A shout out to the co-captains. Both of them led from the front, doing a lot of the heavy lifting. The club has nailed the choice of these 2 to lead the way.

Finally, I just wanted to comment on some of the season previews I have read in the lead up to the start of this season. It would seem many have totally disregarded what we achieved last season & got caught up in the glamour/excitement of some of the new teams, including our opponents tonight. Not that it really matters what the 'scribes' think of our team, but a little respect wouldn't go astray for a team which made the Grand Final last season.

Missed any of match and wake up early and thought catch some of it on Kayo...

WTF? I cannot find it.
If I ckick on replay of game it shows error and if click on Fox footy channel the stupid thing thinks a live game so not showing the channel.
WTF? Anyone got any ideas what the F is going on here with Kayo and this game Should be able to see replay by now...

somebody on work experience not updating their site properly ?

Blues at Princes Park, Saints at Moorabbin.

Who’d have thunk that suburban footy grounds were good for fans?
Dear Lord..Moorabbin????
Geez takes me back that does.
(Shudder)

For me
It was
Gee.
Great player. Like watching her work.
Gee up!!

Missed any of match and wake up early and thought catch some of it on Kayo...

WTF? I cannot find it.
If I ckick on replay of game it shows error and if click on Fox footy channel the stupid thing thinks a live game so not showing the channel.
WTF? Anyone got any ideas what the F is going on here with Kayo and this game Should be able to see replay by now...

somebody on work experience not updating their site properly ?

Dunno about Kayo footyfan78 but the replay is in the sport section of the Channel 7 app. I watched the last half this morning and checked out little she-diesel tear it up in the 3rd

Remove this Banner Ad

Back