Unofficial Preview Round 1 Brisbane Lions v Sydney Swans @ Gabba 20 March 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can remember every stat I've ever agreed with because I only need one hand to count them!
Last thursday you wrote...
"Not even being hyperbolic either. The last time George Hewett played Brisbane and Lachie Neale, he had 34 disposals (game-high) @ 79% DE, 24 contested possessions (game-high), 6 tackles, 7 clearances, 4 centre clearances (game-high), and two Brownlow votes (Neale got one vote.)"
Then another post on thursday you wrote....
"Yep Hewett has never been out of favour since his debut. Played 24 out of 25 games in 2016 (managed for one in his first year), 24 out of 24 in 2017, 23 out of 23 in 2018, 22 out of 22 in 2019, and every game he was fit in last year. And in his last full season, the coaches rated him our second-best player"

So are you one of those people that like stats Only when they suit you? or do you have many more fingers than everyone else??

"Not even being hyperbolic either. The last time George Hewett played Brisbane and Lachie Neale, he had 34 disposals (game-high) @ 79% DE, 24 contested possessions (game-high), 6 tackles, 7 clearances, 4 centre clearances (game-high), and two Brownlow votes (Neale got one vote.)"
"Yep Hewett has never been out of favour since his debut. Played 24 out of 25 games in 2016 (managed for one in his first year), 24 out of 24 in 2017, 23 out of 23 in 2018, 22 out of 22 in 2019, and every game he was fit in last year. And in his last full season, the coaches rated him our second-best player"

So are you one of those people that like stats Only when they suit you? or do you have many more fingers than everyone else??

Only when they suit me:)

Eek, a Tasmanian ?

Eek, a Tasmanian ?

2 heads on every set of shoulders, 3 eyes on every fish, and a silver donkey for anyone who brings me the head of Colonel Montoya - Ghandi

I really reckon our transition from defence to attack will improve 10 fold with The 2 mid rookies coming into the team next year. They both have the speed and skill we are lacking atm. McDonald will help a lot will our scoring being a tall forward. Reid could possibly be on the outer next trade period if McDonald performs.

I really reckon our transition from defence to attack will improve 10 fold with The 2 mid rookies coming into the team next year. They both have the speed and skill we are lacking atm. McDonald will help a lot will our scoring being a tall forward. Reid could possibly be on the outer next trade period if McDonald performs.
The Crows moved real well at times under Pyke. I'm expecting big things from him helping us across the board.

My understanding of Horse is he's a great man manager but not so great tactically. Pyke was great tactically but not so great on man management.

And pyke being there if Longmire listens

And pyke being there if Longmire listens
Of course Horse listens to his assistants but he's still the one that puts his balls onto the cold steel train line every game. Pyke may have some great ideas but he was cut as Adelaide's senior coach for a reason.

It's not a question of whether Horse listens but whether he knows s**t from shinola

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Chances of Joe Dirt playing?

Might add some spice.

Cue predictable melts if Daniher plays against us and Buddy doesn’t, or if they both play and Daniher kicks more goals.

Suddenly he’ll be what we always needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cue predictable melts if Daniher plays against us and Buddy doesn’t, or if they both play and Daniher kicks more goals.

Suddenly he’ll be what we always needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Whether or not JD gets up and returns to elite is really irrelevant. At the time based upon his history the right call was made. His value was impaired by injury concern. It became an unacceptable gamble.

This game is BIG test for us, especially in the first game of the season. My first thoughts are that we'll probably struggle because it's round 1 and we won't have had many preseason games to implement the new strategies against other sides. It will be pivotal that we win in the middle, the addition of JD to their fwd line makes them look pretty scary alongside Cameron and Hipwood. Their side is young as well but those youths are impressive and now have another season under their belt (Berry, Clugs, Hipwood, Bailey are still 23 or younger). I expect them to have majority of the possession but if we're continuing the same strategy from last season we'll counter attack quite regularly and favoring kicking and moving through the middle when moving the ball up the ground. We can score quickly but one of our big issues from last season is that we weren't able to hold onto strong leads. Having the Lions first up is actually ideal IMO, they're expected to win so it shouldn't be too demotivating if we lose, but it's also important for the young players to know the standard they need to play at to compete for fianals. I'm so bloody excited, I wish would could have 10 on the bench because I want everyone to get a game lol.

My tip for what I think (not what I hope) the best 22 will look like for this game. I've gone for what it will look like at bounce down with the starting 18 and the four on the bench. (ie. Blakey will be 'named' at HF and possibly even start there, but play the majority of the game in the mids).

B: Cunningham - McCartin - Rampe

HB: Lloyd - Melican - Dawson

C: McInerney - Mills - Stephens

HF: Blakey - Reid - Heeney

F: McDonald - McLean - Papley

Foll: Hickey - Parker - Kennedy

I/C: Rowbottom - Hewett - Hayward - Florent

The back six is pretty self-explanatory, except I'm in the minority who see McCartin as more of the strong full-back, and Melican as more of the dynamic CHB. (So I don't think Melican's slow - sue me.)

McInerney I think will get up in time, providing he starts full training within the next week. Round 1 is still over a month and a half away. Stephens on the other wing because there's no way Horse won't play this kid who the club rates so highly (which I agree with.)

I agree with Punts that Reid, McDonald and McLean will be the three talls up forward. I personally don't see a need for three with Heeney also there (just being purely optimistic that he'll get up - he'll only need to be at around 75% for Horse to play him), but I think Horse won't be able to resist playing three talls, particularly in Buddy's absence. McLean I can see doing more to impress in the pre-season than Sinclair, though that's just a total guess.

Rowbottom should be a lock for the starting 18 IMO, but with JPK and Parker, and now Mills as well, three leaders all in the inside mid rotations, there's no way any of them will be starting on the bench over Rowbottom. Hewett will be in the team with or without a tagging role. Hayward and Florent are on thin ice and I think you could easily make the case that they should lose their spots to the chasing pack, but Horse loves them and will back them to come good.

Emergencies: take your pick from Clarke (Horse likes him, but doubtful he likes him as much as those named in the team), Campbell (think his tank will hold him back at this early stage), Sinclair, Fox (clearly not rated that highly since he was delisted - yuck), Gould (improving his fitness doesn't necessarily mean he's there yet), Ling, and the three smalls (Wicks, Gulden, Ronke - all of whom I think will get shafted in favour of the two 2016 boys - and probably to our detriment when we lack f50 pressure.)

This isn't totally the team I'd like to see named, is just based purely on what I anticipate will happen from seeing how Horse operates in the past, and all in all, I think it can be a very dangerous side if they're all on.

Last edited:
Feb 2020: covid, bushfires & Buddy injured
Feb 2021: covid, bushfires & Buddy injured

Covid was not a huge issue back in February 2020. I mean everyone knew of it, but no one had any idea how bad it would get, and certainly no one thought the AFL season would be affected. Those sort of thoughts did not begin until March.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back