Game Day Round 1: Brisbane v Adelaide, Hickey Park (Home), Saturday @ 4.10pm AEST

Who were your three best players against Adelaide?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Great win. Something about Davidson's play reminded me of Clark Keating, for some reason!
Ha! I was trying to work out a comparison and ended up landing on Jamie Charman! She has that way of causing mayhem for the opposition without actually picking up a stat. That was Charmo’s forte.

I am really happy to see that our passion is back! Last year was a stinker! I was worried that our talent was too diluted Again!, but We were switched on from the first bounce. Our newbies are great and eye-catching! Skills were Much better imo. I loved seeing Blacky and other Lions Greats helping our ladies this season. I also loved seeing Fagan and some of our male players collecting for the bushfire appeal, just by being there (like a lot of Vic teams), us Lions looked like we all play for the Same team! (I came up for our first Grand final and saw quite a few of the men's time turning up After the game was over. I was Very disappointed to say the least). Anyway I am still loving the feeling of Victory again! GO LIONS! All of us!

lionraven

All Australian
Feb 17, 2016
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
The real difference Ive noticed this year is the forward pressure. Frederick is good for one solid effort but is poor for second efforts. McCarthy was just too small to lay any pressure and would just get pushed off the ball. Wardlaw and the other tall girl (?Davidson) lay some good pressure as talls. Orla is a live wire and her second efforts and strength for her size is a real upgrade on McCarthy. Having a second dangerous forward leaves Woosha more free to run around. Arnell has really profited from the attention that Woosha and Orla draw. That extra time netted her those 2 free kicks and goals.

Speed in the backline has also improved. Its good to have Konen and Lutkins moving the ball quickly by foot. I liked Kaslar's strength but she always seemed to slow and her kicking was mediocre. Having Postlethwaite in the midfield has given us a point of difference in terms of speed compared to Exon. Last year we had too many stodgy short inside mids in the form of Zanchetta, Anderson, Exon and Bates. Postelthwaites speed around the contest really helps move the ball outside.

I wasnt a fan of our list last year. I thought we relied to heavily on muscling the ball forward and stoppage play. Its good to see that these forced changes have made us look at getting more speed into our team and look at using kicking skills to move the ball. Much more enjoyable brand of football. These skills will shine through a lot more in a dry game. Looking forward to it.

Mods can we do voting for the girls games? Maybe just 3 2 1.

Today I would go

3 Lutkins - was like the Berlin wall. Easily the best on ground.

2 Zilkie - see silenced the Zilkie bashes on here today.

1 Conway - Really good return from her ACL
Excellent idea, I've added a poll.

Nice post lionraven. I was not a fan of McCarthy last year, the game has pretty much gone by Kaslar and agree about the rebound from Frederick. Would like Exon, Tayla and a few others back though.
Was really pleased with our team's efforts yesterday. All the talk about team unity was there to see with everyone contributing. Go Lions.

Watching both Sabrina and McCarthy over the weekend I am glad to see the list turnover. Less sanguine about Kasler and Virgo but always felt they were off when the Suns were going to start.
Yorsten and Exon are the two that hurt. Yorsten played well in horrible conditions and had future leader and face of the club written all over her. Exon was a shining light for a very ordinary looking and disorganised St Kilda.

Nov 26, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Went to Hickey Park with my sunscreen and wet weather gear.
I kept watching the radar and it was raining everywhere else in Brisbane. Hickey Park lucky to get away with only about 15 minutes of rain.
The remainder of the time just a few drizzles which made it a bit slippery to handle the ball.
Crowd number of 3002 down from last year 4227. Figures from austadiums.
A good crowd figure considering it was predicted to be very wet.
It was also televised live on 73 in Brisbane along with other streaming services. Can't remember if it was live in 2019 at Hickey Park.

I loved the new HUGE white digital clock which counts time played.
Great for players and spectators alike.
Ground in fantastic condition.

However i wish they would turn down the ground speakers. Way to loud just like last year. My hearing is not the best but way to loud for my liking.

Great unexpected win. A big team effort.
Adelaide were a bit depleted but who cares. We played well and got the 4 points.

One thing i got out of this game.
We were better than Adelaide early when it was dry. We were better when it was raining. And we were better when if got slippery.
So this team can handle all types of conditions.

Like many AFLW games the total team stats did not reflect the end result.

It was also good to see the boys out in force. Clugga sat down near me and chatted to an older chap for much of the 1st quarter.

It was interesting watching Zorks who was boundary riding chatting to Dan Merrett in the break. They were obviously talking about the game and the sheer enthusuasm and interest from Zorks was a pleasure to watch.

BRISBANE V ADELAIDE – BY HB MEYERS

Firstly, how good is Kate Lutkins in defence! Just continually disrupts and puts herself in the right spot. 17 touches and eight marks would have had her in contention for the best Lion on the park.

Dakota Davidson v Dayna Cox was probably the best one-on-one duel of the game, with Cox taking the chocolates. However, Davidson showed a little bit of mongrel, and looks to be a player to watch. With her and Jess Tawhlao-Wardlaw up forward, they have the potential to tear teams apart when the conditions are better.

Emma Zielke was really solid in defence, and her ability to pause, assess and then find a teammate was exactly what the Lions needed.

Isabel Dawes would have every right to be a bit pissed with Orla O’Dwyer, who completely burned her as she ran past and into the open goal for the handball. O’Dwyer kicked the goal herself, but Dawes would have made certain of it had her teammate done the right thing and handed off to her in a better position.

Sophie Conway was solid on the wing, and drifted back into defence to help out where required.

The Crows were missing so much – their forwards were pretty dysfunctional without Erin Phillips providing a marking option. I like Eloise Jones, but she was fumbly in this one, and both Danielle Ponter and Stevie-Lee Thompson struggled to have an impact.

Anne Hatchard… I want to spend a bit of time pumping up her tyres, but I reckon she’d push me out of the way and pump them up herself. What a transformation she has made over the last couple of seasons. She was good when she was carrying ten extra kilograms, but she has taken her game to another level.

I watched her simply run away from her opponent a dozen times in this game – they just could not go with her. Ladies and gentlemen reading this – Anne Hatchard is now the standard by which all other AFLW should be judged. The work she has put in to get fit, and the way she has worked on her game are testament to her dedication. She tried to put this Crows team on her back in this game, but the load was just too great. I was rapt for her breaking the record for disposals, and she did it with a tagger hanging off her in the last quarter. It was a wonderful display form her – I’d like to say I’m proud of her, but that is reserved for kids and people you know. I don’t know her. As such, I was proud for her.

However, as much as I would like to focus on Hatchard’s efforts, the focus should be on the winning team. This is something I dislike about the NBA – it becomes about who scored the most points individually, and not who actually won. The Lions won this – they deserve the most credit.

Quick shout out to the effort of Rachelle Martin – love her attack on the footy. She always looks like she is giving everything she’s got. I thought Justine Mules started well, and I thought she could be on doing a bit more heavy lifting without Phillips, Randall and company. I reckon she needs to back herself a little.

Eb Marinoff had nice stats, but I reckon she wouldn’t be overly pleased with her game in terms of impact. She had six tackles, which is par for the course for her, but the Crows needed her to really step up and do a few special things. Pretty hard in those conditions, I guess.

Marijana Rajcic had a couple of moments she’d rather forget in the last quarter. Watching it back, her fumble in the middle in the last quarter led directly to the Wardlaw goal, which basically shut the gate on the Crows. O’Dwyer applied the pressure and Jess Wuetschner hit Wardlaw with a beautiful pass.

Speaking of Wuetschner, she started like a rocket, didn’t she?

Really nice to see Ally Anderson not having to get 20+ touches for the Lions to be good this season. She was really having to do it tough last season.

https://themongrelpunt.com/aflw/2020/02/09/aflw-round-one-wrap-up/

Nov 26, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
BRISBANE V ADELAIDE – BY HB MEYERS

Firstly, how good is Kate Lutkins in defence! Just continually disrupts and puts herself in the right spot. 17 touches and eight marks would have had her in contention for the best Lion on the park.

Dakota Davidson v Dayna Cox was probably the best one-on-one duel of the game, with Cox taking the chocolates. However, Davidson showed a little bit of mongrel, and looks to be a player to watch. With her and Jess Tawhlao-Wardlaw up forward, they have the potential to tear teams apart when the conditions are better.

Emma Zielke was really solid in defence, and her ability to pause, assess and then find a teammate was exactly what the Lions needed.

Isabel Dawes would have every right to be a bit pissed with Orla O’Dwyer, who completely burned her as she ran past and into the open goal for the handball. O’Dwyer kicked the goal herself, but Dawes would have made certain of it had her teammate done the right thing and handed off to her in a better position.

Sophie Conway was solid on the wing, and drifted back into defence to help out where required.

The Crows were missing so much – their forwards were pretty dysfunctional without Erin Phillips providing a marking option. I like Eloise Jones, but she was fumbly in this one, and both Danielle Ponter and Stevie-Lee Thompson struggled to have an impact.

Anne Hatchard… I want to spend a bit of time pumping up her tyres, but I reckon she’d push me out of the way and pump them up herself. What a transformation she has made over the last couple of seasons. She was good when she was carrying ten extra kilograms, but she has taken her game to another level.

I watched her simply run away from her opponent a dozen times in this game – they just could not go with her. Ladies and gentlemen reading this – Anne Hatchard is now the standard by which all other AFLW should be judged. The work she has put in to get fit, and the way she has worked on her game are testament to her dedication. She tried to put this Crows team on her back in this game, but the load was just too great. I was rapt for her breaking the record for disposals, and she did it with a tagger hanging off her in the last quarter. It was a wonderful display form her – I’d like to say I’m proud of her, but that is reserved for kids and people you know. I don’t know her. As such, I was proud for her.

However, as much as I would like to focus on Hatchard’s efforts, the focus should be on the winning team. This is something I dislike about the NBA – it becomes about who scored the most points individually, and not who actually won. The Lions won this – they deserve the most credit.

Quick shout out to the effort of Rachelle Martin – love her attack on the footy. She always looks like she is giving everything she’s got. I thought Justine Mules started well, and I thought she could be on doing a bit more heavy lifting without Phillips, Randall and company. I reckon she needs to back herself a little.

Eb Marinoff had nice stats, but I reckon she wouldn’t be overly pleased with her game in terms of impact. She had six tackles, which is par for the course for her, but the Crows needed her to really step up and do a few special things. Pretty hard in those conditions, I guess.

Marijana Rajcic had a couple of moments she’d rather forget in the last quarter. Watching it back, her fumble in the middle in the last quarter led directly to the Wardlaw goal, which basically shut the gate on the Crows. O’Dwyer applied the pressure and Jess Wuetschner hit Wardlaw with a beautiful pass.

Speaking of Wuetschner, she started like a rocket, didn’t she?

Really nice to see Ally Anderson not having to get 20+ touches for the Lions to be good this season. She was really having to do it tough last season.

https://themongrelpunt.com/aflw/2020/02/09/aflw-round-one-wrap-up/
Good write up on the Lions game.
Followed the link to your write up on the other games over the weekend which included our next opponent Geelong.
You had a busy weekend.
At this early stage hard to line them up but do you think we will be more than competitive??.

Also on the Orla O'Dwyer goal.
Everyone around me was yelling "handball" including me. She did kick the goal which was good in the end.
I watched the full replay later that night and slowed down that play.

I now believe Orla O'Dwyer's goal was the best of the day possibly the weekend.
Wow did she cover some ground to get in position to take that mark.
If you watch the first quarter replay and freeze it at the 8.17 mark exactly.
You will see the ball in flight to Wardlaw going way over O'Dwyer's head. O'Dwyer is only 1 meter forward of the center circle.
Then play at normal speed and see a blond blur go past Wardlaw to get on the end of her pass.
At the game i was following the ball and just assumed O'Dwyer was positioned in the forward line at that time.

In regard to the handball.
She took the mark running towards goal.A right footer with her pace would have kept going. But being a left footer from a Gailec background felt more comfortable propping and going back to get on her left.
I believe this action put her in a bad position to handball a AFL shaped ball she is still getting used to. Probably felt more confident kicking around the body as in Gaelic football than a handball.

Nov 26, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Most of us know that Orla O'Dwyer easily won the pre-season time trial.
The below video was recorded just after winning the 2019 All Ireland final September 2019.
Early in the video at top of screen it states "ran approx 25 k m during Game"
Not sure if it is women's hurling or Gaelic football, either way that is a lot of running for an afternoon of sport
Have no idea if that is correct or even how long a game goes for.
Also mentions about going to Australia.

On a side note the Club could certainly do some marketing around this lady.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
The below video was recorded just after winning the 2019 All Ireland final September 2019.
Not sure if it is women's hurling or Gaelic football, either way that is a lot of running for an afternoon of sport

Gaelic football.

She said she played 60 to 65 minutes. 25km in 65 minutes would be under world record pace for the mens marathon.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good write up on the Lions game.
Followed the link to your write up on the other games over the weekend which included our next opponent Geelong.
You had a busy weekend.
At this early stage hard to line them up but do you think we will be more than competitive??.
Definitely not written up by me. :) I was just quoting what "HB Meyers" had written.

"McKeever" on the guernsey brings back a few memories.

FLVanLandingham

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 3, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
O'Dwyer has good evasive abilities, and her running is just awesome. At this stage i seem to prefer the players to go for those shots rather than quick handballs, especially with the wet ball on the weekend. And as soon as an irish player turns to the side you (well at least me..) expect a pretty damn accurate shot. I really have to go over the team photos again, too many I wasn't sure who was in the play..

I've had my footy fix, but now I want more :D

Re: O'Dwyer - there were a few occasions in the game where learned habits from Gaelic football came to the fore. That goal, plus a couple of occasions where she probably should have tackled instead of laying a bump.

I doubt though whether the coaches would want to go away from her instincts too much in the early stages of her transition.

Back