VFL Game Day Round 1: 66 point thrashing from Brisbane

Remove this Banner Ad

Your list is still miles ahead of ours. We had 1 player taken inside the top 50 of a draft in Bryan. You had Smith x 3, Coleman x 2, Mathieson, Cockatoo, Robertson, Sharp, Ballenden.
In your VFL team, on the weekend?

Mathieson and Cockatoo (who we traded in) are from the 2015 draft, so you only had one player in your VFL team that had been drafted in the last 6 drafts in your VFL team? Whether you drafted them or not.

Possibly because most of your more recently higher drafted kids were all in your senior team.

You’re list is probably comparable to our list from 2015/16.

It’s just the nature of the competition.

What is going on?

Brisbane 2s smash Essendon 2s.

BrunoV "Brisbane have a great list"

Random Brisbane poster "That's blatantly false and I'm going to waste time arguing why."

🤷‍♂️

What is going on?

Random Brisbane poster "That's blatantly false and I'm going to waste time arguing why."

🤷‍♂️

All we need now is Kelvin to make an appearance and start talking about how much he’s enjoying watching Essendon’ this year and how optimistic he is about the future.

What is going on?

🤷‍♂️
Not quite.

I did post here before the weekends games, as I thought you guys would be bringing up an older VFL team, full of mature age top ups, and do a number on our much younger reserve team.

I just called out old mate above when he said our reserves team was full of experienced AFL players.

It wasn’t.

Not quite.

I did post here before the weekends games, as I thought you guys would be bringing up an older VFL team, full of mature age top ups, and do a number on our much younger reserve team.

I just called out old mate above when he said our reserves team was full of experienced AFL players.

It wasn’t.
Old mate.
That is going to go down well.
Anyway your side was vastly more experienced on a general level. We had more than half a side that where under 21 and played zero footy last year.

Old mate.
That is going to go down well.
Anyway your side was vastly more experienced on a general level. We had more than half a side that where under 21 and played zero footy last year.
It was a case of same here if you read my post from the previous page.

We played 10 kids who were 18 and 19, only four of whom were drafted in December, the other 6 went undrafted from our Academy or are in their draft year this year. Plus one 20 year old, undrafted academy player who is a late developer.

Plus a 20 year old, first year Irish rookie who only arrived in Australia in January.

Plus another 3 second year players, 1 third year player, and a third year 21 year old Irish rookie.

That’s 17 out of the 22 man squad.

Then we had another 2 fourth players, who have played 7 and 6 games of AFL respectively.

So 19 players with a total of 21 games of AFL experience between them. (Granted 7 are top up kids from the academy and aren’t listed, so it’s 21 games split between 12 players, with 13 of those games belonging to the two fourth year players).

Again, we weren’t a vastly more experienced.

giphy.gif

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Well I only popped over here after one of your lot posted in ours first before the game.
No need to be defensive, it was only an observation... an interesting development along with this VFL & East Coast thing, almost like it's become an AFL reserves comp..? Like I don't think we've ever had a fervent supporter of the Frankston Dolphins popping over, or the Sandy Zebras... must come with the territory I guess. 🤷‍♀️

No need to be defensive, it was only an observation... an interesting development along with this VFL & East Coast thing, almost like it's become an AFL reserves comp..? Like I don't think we've ever had a fervent supporter of the Frankston Dolphins popping over, or the Sandy Zebras... must come with the territory I guess. 🤷‍♀️
there is that 1 rabid Coburg fan...

All good.

All we’ve (northern clubs) heard is how inferior the NEAFL has been to the VFL, SANFL and WAFL since forever.

And all we’ve (northern AFL clubs) wanted was a proper reserves comp to further develop our seconds.

First weekend of the new comp, and 3 of the 4 QLD clubs go alright.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

All good.

All we’ve (northern clubs) heard is how inferior the NEAFL has been to the VFL, SANFL and WAFL since forever.

And all we’ve (northern AFL clubs) wanted was a proper reserves comp to further develop our seconds.

Yep. I think the SANFL and the WAFL are generally the highest quality of the state leagues. Doesn't mean all of the teams in each comp are inferior or superior, just the general quality of who they were playing against. It makes sense that the four Queensland teams in the new comp would be the strongest of the old NEAFL teams, either because they are AFL-affiliated or perhaps financially strong and well-resourced in the first place.

Not sure it was the best thing for Victorian football to raise the stakes by so much, asking small local clubs to travel interstate when it doesn't really benefit them at all, but clearly AFL Victoria have other priorities. (I mean it's kind of in the name... we don't really have an independent body to advocate for state football anymore, unlike WAFL and SANFL.)

(That said, it looks like someone got a bee in their bonnet and vandalised the WAFL's wiki page: "For most of its existence, the league was considered one of the traditional "big three" Australian rules football leagues, along with the Victorian Football League (VFL) and South Australian National Football League (SANFL). However, since the introduction of two Western Australia-based clubs into the VFL (later renamed the Australian Football League) – the West Coast Eagles in 1987 and the Fremantle Football Club in 1995 – the popularity and standard of the league has decreased to the point where it is considered a feeder competition to the AFL." 😂😂😂 )

Yep. I think the SANFL and the WAFL are generally the highest quality of the state leagues. Doesn't mean all of the teams in each comp are inferior or superior, just the general quality of who they were playing against. It makes sense that the four Queensland teams in the new comp would be the strongest of the old NEAFL teams, either because they are AFL-affiliated or perhaps financially strong and well-resourced in the first place.

Not sure it was the best thing for Victorian football to raise the stakes by so much, asking small local clubs to travel interstate when it doesn't really benefit them at all, but clearly AFL Victoria have other priorities. (I mean it's kind of in the name... we don't really have an independent body to advocate for state football anymore, unlike WAFL and SANFL.)

(That said, it looks like someone got a bee in their bonnet and vandalised the WAFL's wiki page: "For most of its existence, the league was considered one of the traditional "big three" Australian rules football leagues, along with the Victorian Football League (VFL) and South Australian National Football League (SANFL). However, since the introduction of two Western Australia-based clubs into the VFL (later renamed the Australian Football League) – the West Coast Eagles in 1987 and the Fremantle Football Club in 1995 – the popularity and standard of the league has decreased to the point where it is considered a feeder competition to the AFL." 😂😂😂 )
Every competition becomes a feeder competition for the top dog.

It was a case of same here if you read my post from the previous page.

We played 10 kids who were 18 and 19, only four of whom were drafted in December, the other 6 went undrafted from our Academy or are in their draft year this year. Plus one 20 year old, undrafted academy player who is a late developer.

Plus a 20 year old, first year Irish rookie who only arrived in Australia in January.

Plus another 3 second year players, 1 third year player, and a third year 21 year old Irish rookie.

That’s 17 out of the 22 man squad.

Then we had another 2 fourth players, who have played 7 and 6 games of AFL respectively.

So 19 players with a total of 21 games of AFL experience between them. (Granted 7 are top up kids from the academy and aren’t listed, so it’s 21 games split between 12 players, with 13 of those games belonging to the two fourth year players).

Again, we weren’t a vastly more experienced.

You where more experienced that is the point I was making so stop with the semantics . We had over 10 players who did not kick a ball in anger at all last season. Not a scratch match or a local game or even a training run with more than 6 players and most had previously only played under 18 footy. We played 9 AFL listed players. 4 have not played AFL games and 3 of the 4 did not play any of the scratch matches last year. 1 with 5 games experience , 1 with 13 games experience and Phillips , Cutler and Ambrose the most experienced at AFL level.

All good.

Yes but the VFL has been watered down by the salary cap cuts. A lot of good players from the VFL are playing local footy this year as they can make the same amount of coin. I know a young bloke (age 21) who played VFL seniors in 2019 who has given it away and gone back to play for his local club in division 1 because he could only be offered minimal money to stay in the VFL. If you have a look at the experienced players we have lost from our VFL side in 2019 you will see the step down for us. We are now running with 4 experienced VFL players and a bunch of 19 and 20 year old kids to top the list up.

Yes but the VFL has been watered down by the salary cap cuts. A lot of good players from the VFL are playing local footy this year as they can make the same amount of coin. I know a young bloke (age 21) who played VFL seniors in 2019 who has given it away and gone back to play for his local club in division 1 because he could only be offered minimal money to stay in the VFL. If you have a look at the experienced players we have lost from our VFL side in 2019 you will see the step down for us. We are now running with 4 experienced VFL players and a bunch of 19 and 20 year old kids to top the list up.

Wonder whether we'll see that trend continue, there'll be the AFL listed guys, a handful of experienced VFL guys, then a bunch of undrafted kids wanting to press their case to get drafted in the MSD or at the end of the season.

The local leagues then get experienced ex-VFL / AFL guys, so something like the EDFL might see a step-up in quality whilst the VFL has a drop.

Wonder whether we'll see that trend continue, there'll be the AFL listed guys, a handful of experienced VFL guys, then a bunch of undrafted kids wanting to press their case to get drafted in the MSD or at the end of the season.

The local leagues then get experienced ex-VFL / AFL guys, so something like the EDFL might see a step-up in quality whilst the VFL has a drop.
We had 2 or 3 experienced VFL players not play as well. Unless the injuries continue I would say that will be the weakest side we will put on the park this year.

We had 2 or 3 experienced VFL players not play as well. Unless the injuries continue I would say that will be the weakest side we will put on the park this year.

I mean more generally across the comp, will we see guys in that (say) 23+ bracket who've given up on an AFL list spot, going to local comps where they get paid just as much, if not more. And the ex-AFL guys going to play local footy instead of VFL if they'll earn more cash with less travel.

I mean more generally across the comp, will we see guys in that (say) 23+ bracket who've given up on an AFL list spot, going to local comps where they get paid just as much, if not more. And the ex-AFL guys going to play local footy instead of VFL if they'll earn more cash with less travel.
Yes. Unless the VFL gets more than $200k (stand alone clubs) cap space then there will more players doing the rounds in the local leagues .
Have said many times that the AFL is going to run the VFL into the ground the way it is going. They seem to have taken our 2000 - 2009 finance play book and decided spending money is not a good thing.

Yes. Unless the VFL gets more than $200k (stand alone clubs) cap space then there will more players doing the rounds in the local leagues .
Have said many times that the AFL is going to run the VFL into the ground the way it is going. They seem to have taken our 2000 - 2009 finance play book and decided spending money is not a good thing.

I get the feeling the AFL doesn't give much of a s**t about anything below the AFL level. The VFL is going to become a development comp for young kids by the sounds of it.

I get the feeling the AFL doesn't give much of a sh*t about anything below the AFL level. The VFL is going to become a development comp for young kids by the sounds of it.
It is and it shouldn't. It is a disgrace that they are turning the premier comp in Victoria into a micky mouse seconds comp.
The set up should be East Coast AFL seconds comp and a decently funded VFL comp linked to the under 18 sides.

None of that makes any sense.

Surely the higher the standard you can get in the second tier comp the better it is for talent pathways into the AFL.

As a recruiter wouldn't you want as many of the potential AFL recruits as possible playing in the same comp against similarly talented players rather than scattered across a myriad of local leagues?

You where more experienced that is the point I was making so stop with the semantics . We had over 10 players who did not kick a ball in anger at all last season. Not a scratch match or a local game or even a training run with more than 6 players and most had previously only played under 18 footy. We played 9 AFL listed players. 4 have not played AFL games and 3 of the 4 did not play any of the scratch matches last year. 1 with 5 games experience , 1 with 13 games experience and Phillips , Cutler and Ambrose the most experienced at AFL level.
There’s no semantics on my behalf. I’ve given ages numbers and games played.

I thought you guys had an older team and more experienced team than what we put out on the field.

And you still haven’t proved I am wrong on either count.

Was your team older?

How many players have players AFL, and how many games for each player.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back