Prediction Round 1: Changes Vs Adelaide Crows + pre-match discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Henry will be a much better player when he is getting the ball regularly and doing simple things. He probably needs to relax more, not less

Never said he was a dbag. I said there was a time talented but flawed individuals were brought to the club, ruined the culture.

Henry is a good citizen. Just doesn't warrant a spot purely due to his talent. He should go back to the wafl learn a defensive side. Watch him closely on Sunday.
Then why did you even bring it up while referring to Henry?

Banfield shouldn't be anywhere near our 22 regardless of injuries. Fair play to him, he must be a seriously strong trainer but he is not AFL standard.
Bandied, and Colyer are around the same mark.

Both are close to best 22, but if we are going to play finals they need to be pushed out of the 22.

Hope you're wrong about Colyer still on next years list.
If he is we aren't winning a GF anytime soon . 30 plus year old c graders is not good list management.
10th in the Doig wasn't he? But I'm not advocating for or against Colyer. I think our selection of players needs to change as we become a side contending for finals.

Bandied, and Colyer are around the same mark.

Both are close to best 22, but if we are going to play finals they need to be pushed out of the 22.
If they are pushed out that's a good sign. Hughes and Hamling could both be best 22 in defence for us and have been pushed out. Fantastic indication of strength.

If they are pushed out that's a good sign. Hughes and Hamling could both be best 22 in defence for us and have been pushed out. Fantastic indication of strength.
I dunno. If their work on the field warrants a spot who cares what the preconceptions are or their history is.

Then why did you even bring it up while referring to Henry?

Someone posted they rather see talent over hard trainers. That mentality brought us Harley, Cmac, Matera etc.

You need to be both. Now i am not saying Henry doesn't train hard, but he's being played cause of talent and potential..not output.

Just to clarify Henry isn't a dbag, those other recruits who are no longer on the list are.

Someone posted they rather see talent over hard trainers. That mentality brought us Harley, Cmac, Matera etc.

You need to be both. Now i am not saying Henry doesn't train hard, but he's being played cause of talent and potential..not output.

Just to clarify Henry isn't a dbag, those other recruits who are no longer on the list are.

Nah, I said I would rather see Henry play who has talent rather than just someone who trains hard but lacks the talent.

Is Aish even match fit?
No. Had a very compromised preseason.

I think the S&C team have a very different view to the previous team (and possibly coach), so far we have not been prepared to play players even in scratchies until they are fully fit. Have observed Treacy, Amiss seemingly fit for weeks before being allowed into match practice.

It has cost Darcy and Fyfe a game but hopefully gives them the best opportunity to play more during the year. I will be interested to see if they maintain a conservative approach to injury management under the pressure of the season.

Pretty important first couple of games for us if you ask me

2 - 0 beautiful , the positivity of pre - season rolls into the season proper and we are back in the mix again with huge upside

1 - 1 bit disappointing but we aren’t dead with some improvement to come

0 - 2 good old Freo , promise the world but deliver a shovel of dirt

Stop ******* around boys , we’ve been patient ….. time to deliver

Sent from my iPad using BigFooty.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Henry will be a much better player when he is getting the ball regularly and doing simple things. He probably needs to relax more, not less
I think Cyril Rioli is the type of player Henry could be. I don't see him with a high possession count, but those touches could be gold.
A perfect player to replace Walters, and someone who can play small midfield minutes.
In time the team will be in sync with him, that flair is who he is.
We have wingers in Johnson, Worner, NOD.

I think Cyril Rioli is the type of player Henry could be. I don't see him with a high possession count, but those touches could be gold.
A perfect player to replace Walters, and someone who can play small midfield minutes.
So you see him as a forward?

So you see him as a forward?
Yep I see Michael Walters replacement. He will entertain, low numbers but
a game changer. Guy is a genius with the ball.
Similar to a Chris Lewis at WC, can go midfield and turn a game.
Familiarity, chemistry, will reap results. Just teach him how to run down, tackle.

I don’t see Rioli, I see Lewis Jetta. Hopefully better, but a quality winger who is constantly hitting up our forwards.

He's not as tough as Lewis.
Both Christ Church kids though, so there is that.
Lewis was bloody tough, as well as being silky skilled.
Liam just needs to believe that he belongs

Lewis was not tough. But he was super quick. Jordan Clark quick and had a huge roost. Henry has more finesse with his kicking, he can make some beautiful passes. Lewis never had the finesse / precision that Henry has.

With development Henry should find more ball and more depth in his kicking. That’s what he lacks. Needs to build strength, endurance and kicking distance.

I guess that's where we see it slightly different, losing Cerra has set us back at least a season IMO.
If we’d kept Cerra we wouldn’t have been able to afford Clark and Brodie, and wouldn’t have had the pick for Amiss (it might have been Erasmus that we missed out on, certainly 1 of the 2).

I think that makes us a better team in 2022 than if he’d stayed, and also better long term as we’ve picked up positional needs.

just because those players aren’t as good individually as Cerra doesn’t mean the collective isn’t better.

Good discussion on Henry v Colyer. Personally I’m somewhere in the middle of both viewpoints. Henry needs to show us a bit more but I also don’t think Colyer is the long term future at all.
One thing to clarify though - Henry did not just cost a couple of picks around 50 in 2019.
We had to give away a 2020 second round pick to match the bid too. We traded it to port Adelaide and got absolutely fcuked in the rear end by them in the trade. 2020 second rounder (turned out to be a mid second rounder) for picks 52 and 55.
So while it might look like we got Henry on the cheap, it’s not as cheap as saying it was just pick 50 or whatever.

In that last ps game against the WC Henry was 6th for the the team in tackles and 8th for pressure acts. (with twice as many as Young). So it's not as though he produced nothing defensively.

While his disposal numbers were more mid rung, you also need to take into account his role. For much of the game he was out on the open side and less exposed to the action, which naturally reduces potential disposal opps.

Still he had some very tasty involvements, setting up chains and was frequently taking the more attacking options.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back