Opinion Round 1 Changes vs. Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
suban trained the house down in the pre season according to training watchers. some of the others didn't Ross lyon has always picked the round 1 team on pre season effort in training etc You get your spot due to your effort on the track then its up to Suban to lose or keep his spot.

Balic Crozier grey Sheridan seemed to have issues during the pre season... They will now have to wait and work hardto demand a spot.

I am confident Suban will play a good game this week
Agree suban and d.Pearce did not miss a beat in pre season. Grey and balic in rehab most of the time . croz sometime did not train at all. Won't be surprised sheriden will come straight in if sutty, ibbo , suban don't perform in rd 1.

Over/under Nic Suban holding the ball 2.5

I can't wait for him to get the ball in a pack and instead of looking for the fast handball to open up space and release the outside run he charges at the first tackler and gets pinged HTB. Classic Suban.

Harley Balic based on his last 3 performances for Peel is way ahead of Grey and has Crozier covered in regards form. Besides Brady is a rookie who hasn't been elevated to the main list and cant play at AFL level till he does.
Brady will be BOG for Peel today, he will get upgraded and play for Freo next week. It's probably a bit early to tip him for the Brownlow, but don't be too surprised...

Brady will be BOG for Peel today, he will get upgraded and play for Freo next week. It's probably a bit early to tip him for the Brownlow, but don't be too surprised...
He need to avoid injury . rookie list left grey and strnadica not in rehab .

If there are to be snipers taking aim at Fyfe, which is a likely Scott tactic, then I think Suban is one guy on Freo's list you'd want around you. He kicks the footy well and if he's getting to some good spots even better. Like most I wish he was smarter and better at a whole bunch of other stuff too though

Bring on win No 1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

suban trained the house down in the pre season according to training watchers. some of the others didn't Ross lyon has always picked the round 1 team on pre season effort in training etc You get your spot due to your effort on the track then its up to Suban to lose or keep his spot.

If you get your spot vs "effort on the track" vs actual performance in games then that's the stupidest thing ever and the match committee should be sacked.

Crozier was BOG for Peel last week and Suban was rubbish. Those are the facts.

If there are to be snipers taking aim at Fyfe, which is a likely Scott tactic, then I think Suban is one guy on Freo's list you'd want around you. He kicks the footy well and if he's getting to some good spots even better. Like most I wish he was smarter and better at a whole bunch of other stuff too though

Bring on win No 1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes. If Fyfe is group one then Suban is his companion pony. He is the pumpkin to Fyfe's Sea Biscuit.

If you get your spot vs "effort on the track" vs actual performance in games then that's the stupidest thing ever and the match committee should be sacked.

Crozier was BOG for Peel last week and Suban was rubbish. Those are the facts.

I believe most coaches like to reward the guys who worked hardest for the 4 months of pre season not just the game before the season. I get the feeling that Crozier despite his talent hasn't worked hard enough to improve endurance and strength.

I believe most coaches like to reward the guys who worked hardest for the 4 months of pre season not just the game before the season. I get the feeling that Crozier despite his talent hasn't worked hard enough to improve endurance and strength.
I believe most football sides aim to win and that despite effort you actually have to be able to play the game.

Enough of suban and Dawson selection , let not get too upset, as three amigo , cam Mac ,hammer ,tucker will be playing with Walters ,fyfe and the hills brothers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is my feeling with Croz. The Ballas role means running around applying heaps of pressure, with the priority not being on goals, as ridiculous as that is for a small forward, but without Mayne to help out, then it needs a player who can chase, hassle and block. At this stage the selection committee probably thinks this is best suited to Suban as a player already on the senior list. I do think he's on short leash still, but coming out of contract and with a bit to prove, he might want to bust a nut to impress.

This is my feeling with Croz. The Ballas role means running around applying heaps of pressure, with the priority not being on goals, as ridiculous as that is for a small forward, but without Mayne to help out, then it needs a player who can chase, hassle and block. At this stage the selection committee probably thinks this is best suited to Suban as a player already on the senior list. I do think he's on short leash still, but coming out of contract and with a bit to prove, he might want to bust a nut to impress.

Crosier and Grey missed a lot of the pre season. Maybe they have not got the fitness to play that role yet. Suban did have a full pre season. Going into a game not fully fit creates its own problems with future soft tissue injuries. Grey and Crosiers time will come when their fitness is right.

Crosier and Grey missed a lot of the pre season. Maybe they have not got the fitness to play that role yet. Suban did have a full pre season. Going into a game not fully fit creates its own problems with future soft tissue injuries. Grey and Crosiers time will come when their fitness is right.
Grey is also still on the rookie list. They probably want to take a look at Subes in the role first while he's fit and fits the role before putting a line through him.

In your eyes Ross can do no wrong can he?

I think he has done most things right since being at Fremantle. I expect he will continue to build a side that will eventually play finals again. I don't think it will be this year but we might go close next year

I think he has done most things right since being at Fremantle. I expect he will continue to build a side that will eventually play finals again. I don't think it will be this year but we might go close next year

Freo have the most 21 to 24 year olds of any club on our list. That is the perfect age group for a run at a a flag.

Suban > Sutcliffe and Spurr

Would much rather someone get pinged for holding the ball in the forward pocket, ur trying to burst through the centre, than kicking it to the opposition 35m out from goal.

You all whinge about how terrible we are at moving the ball but refuse to hold to account scrubs who directly cost us a good 5+ goals a game, every single game.

Last edited by a moderator:
In your eyes Ross can do no wrong can he?
No one's saying that, but people are acting like Lyon personally went out and picked 22 Suban's for the team. I mean ffs, the MATCH COMMITTEE (re not just Lyon) has gone and selected a bevy of under 24 year olds for this game including Tuckers (2nd year) Weller and Blakely (both in their third years). From the sounds of the training reports, those that were picked were the ones who showed the most over all preseason, not just over a couple of practice and 2nd grade matches. Sheridan, Balic, and Crozier will get their chance.

Grey needs enough early games in the WAFL to build up an insurmountable lead in the Sandover before meeting the expectations of winning the Brownlow in the latter half of the season. If Fyfe can do it with half a season, then surely Brady can better that.

I wouldn't mind if they tried Sheridan wing/ half forward ahead of Suban, because he's able to use both sides of his body, and that he's more likely to run out the game stronger. Suban is more of a burst player.

I didn't think Sheridan's 24 possession game in the WAFL was outstanding, (same for Crozier's game too) - at times he appeared to be indecisive under pressure, but there were also a couple of left foot passes he gave off that were creative.

Last edited:
I wouldn't mind if they tried Sheridan wing/ half forward ahead of Suban, because he's able to use both sides of his body, and that he's more likely to run out the game stronger. Suban is more of a burst player.

I didn't think Sheridan's 24 possession game in the WAFL was outstanding - at times he appeared indecisive under pressure, but there were also a couple of left foot passes he gave off that were creative.

Problem is, that's standard for him. Pressure or no, he is generally an average to poor decision-maker.

I'm probably in the minority who thinks Sheridan is one of our better ball users on the run. He still has these occasional lapses that seem like there's a miscommunication between him and another player. I'm thinking Langdon will probably be the other small forward anyhow. We're going to use Sandilands/Griffin as a target so we want someone who can run to the fall of the ball and then have some evasiveness when they gather, which is why I have a preference for someone who can go either way off the boot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back