Autopsy Round 1 = Collingwood 69-102 Sydney

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 3, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Chelsea
Awful performance. Easily the worst we’ve seen under Fly so far in his coaching tenure.

Looks like 2024 is going to be a year of challenges. I’m hoping it’s a slow burn and we’re not Geelong 2023. It’s how we respond over the coming weeks that will make or break the season.

The highlight of the night was the unfurling and seeing some old club greats there like Thorold Merrett, Dennis Banks and Syd Coventry Jr (representing his father who was captain of the 1927 team).

No need to panic yet, acres of improvement to be made.

We'll be there at the pointy end.

No need to panic, for sure. But a few Geelong fans were saying the same thing last year until they lost to GCS and they realised it probably wasn't going to be. There's a breaking point but we're nowhere near it yet.

That was so tough to watch. The missed targets, missed tackles, awful turnovers... the only way is up from here. Swans were good but not that good.

Maybe this is a blessing in disguise; the coaching team and players are on notice in a sense that this is a new year and we need to shake the confetti off, and figure out the plans and players to get us wins this year.

More Fin, to start with.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2 takeaways

Johnson = Never again in

Macrae = Never again out

Fin must play and in the starting 22 from here on for the rest of his career.

Johnson must never pull on the jumper ever again.

I was already a little bit like wtf when they chose Johnson ahead of Reef, then when they persisted, it reminded me of Buckley, he had his favourites and the Buckley selections were every single week baffling and had me pretty f_<king angry, these first 2 games is the first time I have felt that way about Craig McRae's selections.

I can't write us off this early, we'll come good but I'm not sure how good the good will be. Still think if we can get some talls back for the second half of the season we will do some damage

Really poor tonight. No pressure, and skills were poor. Don’t seem to have any speed or cohesion. Have to wonder about the lack of effort.

AJ right to be subbed out. Will be dropped next week. I’m a fan but he lost me tonight.

Macrae was very good when he came on. Only positive for the night.

Must lift next week because tonight was embarrassing

I don’t understand logic of omitting Mitchell but making Macrae sub. He’s a grinder who needs to build impact over an extended period. He’s not a burst player.

And for two weeks in a row it has been wrong call to play Dean over Frampton, Johnson over McInnes and Markov over Noble.

Our coaches and selectors are in as much of a slump as our players.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

With so many ‘elite’ small forwards how the hell can they not find separation? It was not the kicking inside 50 tonight, it was guys who have no idea how to work for each other.
We were shown up as slow, second to the contest and not hungry enough.
I hope Fly starts dropping players, this is not the Australian Cricket team, if you don’t perform then piss off and give the next bloke a go.

Why is Mitchell being dropped in round 2? Why is John Noble who breaks line with speed and shows more heart than most not in the team?

With so many ‘elite’ small forwards how the hell can they not find separation? It was not the kicking inside 50 tonight, it was guys who have no idea how to work for each other.
We were shown up as slow, second to the contest and not hungry enough.
I hope Fly starts dropping players, this is not the Australian Cricket team, if you don’t perform then piss off and give the next bloke a go.
Selwood as our fwd coach and Roughy as our backline coach seem to not be getting near the best out of their lines

I don’t understand logic of omitting Mitchell but making Macrae sub. He’s a grinder who needs to build impact over an extended period. He’s not a burst player.

And for two weeks in a row it has been wrong call to play Dean over Frampton, Johnson over McInnes and Markov over Noble.

Our coaches and selectors are in as much of a slump as our players.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Agreed. This is on the coaching staff as well.

Sent from my iPad using BigFooty.com

The loss of Nathan Murphy is telling, the defence looks a rabble without him.
The midfield ain’t helping, no one wants to run or apply any pressure.
Plenty of headache’s and the coaches need to get the players back on track.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back