Round 1, 2014: Collingwood v Fremantle, 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 13, 2012
Waiting for Josh Kelly #2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Hey guys, here's a preview of the season opener tomorrow night. Will be aiming to get a lot of these up over the course of the year, but will depend on uni commitments etc. Enjoy!

Where: Etihad Stadium
When: 14 March, 7:50PM

COLLINGWOOD
FB: Alan Toovey, Nathan Brown, Nick Maxwell
HB: Tyson Goldsack, Jack Frost, Tom Langdon
C: Steele Sidebottom, Brent Macaffer, Taylor Adams
HF: Dayne Beams, Travis Cloke, Jamie Elliott
FF: Ben Kennedy, Jarrod Witts, Dane Swan
R: Brodie Grundy, Scott Pendlebury, Heritier Lumumba
I/C: Marty Clarke, Luke Ball, Clinton Young, Ben Sinclair
EMG: Quinten Lynch, Lachie Keeffe, Tony Armstrong

NEW: Tom Langdon, Taylor Adams (GWS)
TAB: $2.25

The Pies have awarded Tom Langdon, a medium defender taken at pick 65 in last year's National Draft, a debut after some stellar pre-season form, while former Greater Western Sydney midfielder Taylor Adams will make his official debut in the black and white. Former Swan Jesse White and ex-Lion Patrick Karnezis will both miss. Ben Reid has failed a fitness test and is a pivotal loss for the Magpies, while the lovable Ben Hudson, tipped to make the team, has missed out, with the Pies going for youth instead in Jarrod Witts. Jack Frost, with just two games to his name, will play alongside Nathan Brown and Nick Maxwell as the key defensive options, while Alan Toovey will make his return from a torn anterior cruciate ligament.

FREMANTLE
FB: Zac Dawson, Luke McPharlin, Lee Spurr
HB: Danyle Pearce, Michael Johnson, Tendai Mzungu
C: Cameron Sutcliffe, Ryan Crowley, David Mundy
HF: Matt de Boer, Chris Mayne, Nathan Fyfe
FF: Hayden Ballantyne, Matthew Pavlich, Michael Walters
R: Aaron Sandilands, Michael Barlow, Lachie Neale
I/C: Stephen Hill, Tommy Sheridan, Paul Duffield, Jack Hannath
EMG: Clancee Pearce, Colin Sylvia, Zac Clarke

TAB: $1.65

Last year's runner-up has named a strong outfit for the season opener, not naming a new face, meaning free agent Colin Sylvia will have to wait to make his official Fremantle debut after crossing from Melbourne. The only players missing from last year's Grand Final team are Zac Clarke and Nick Suban. Replacing them are Jack Hannath and Tommy Sheridan.

Overview
The footy season is finally back! Collingwood and Fremantle kick-off what is going to be a huge 2014 AFL Season in front of an expected bumper crowd at Etihad Stadium. The Pies had an indifferent NAB Challenge campaign, fighting out a high-pressure contest with Geelong to lose by under a goal, before falling short to Richmond in Wangaratta by 48 points. In a practice match against the Gold Coast at Metricon Stadium, they trailed by 47 points at half time, before storming home to win by 14 points.

The Dockers continued a recent trend of not setting the world on fire in the pre-season competition, losing to West Coast first up by 84 points, before notching a win over the Bulldogs a week later at Etihad Stadium. A practice game again against the Eagles yielded another loss, albeit by a much smaller margin.

Key match-ups
Almost six years ago to the date, a gangly Nathan Brown made his debut on the MCG as Collingwood started their 2008 campaign against Fremantle. Matched up on gun forward Matthew Pavlich, Brown performed extremely well, restricting the superstar to just one goal. This Friday night, the two are set to lock horns again, with Brown leading Collingwood's backline in the absence of Reid, while Pavlich enters his 15th season in the system. It looms a crucial match-up, with the Fremantle captain looking to bounce back from an inconsistent season ruined by injury and suspension. If Brown can again blanket him, the Pies are a lot closer to winning.

All eyes will be on Ryan Crowley as he struts into the centre square on Friday night, with his opponent likely to be new Collingwood captain Scott Pendlebury. With an average of 29.9 disposals from 2013, Pendlebury is one of the most dangerous players in the game, and is capable of carving other teams to shreds in a matter of seconds. Crowley, the best tagger in the game, will be trying every trick in the book to throw him off his game.

Keep watch on the ruck duel as well, which looms as one of the more interesting factors heading into the game. Can Collingwood youngsters Brodie Grundy and Jarrod Witts overcome the Fremantle giant Aaron Sandilands, apparently in the best shape of his career, and Jack Hannath?

SuperCoach watch
As aforementioned, youngster Tom Langdon could prove to be one of the best cash cows in the league this year. Priced at a cheap $117,300, Langdon is low risk, high reward.

Another Pie that comes cheap as chips is former Hawk Clinton Young. After playing just two games in his first season as a Collingwood player, Young will be looking to make a big start to a crucial year in his career. He averaged 76.5 in 2012 as well as 83.7 back in 2007, and don't forget that he loves to kick the ball when he gets it.

A guy that wouldn't look out of place in One Direction, Lachie Neale is a budding SuperCoach staple. With just 20 games to his name, the midfielder lifted his average to 86.9 points last season, and looks set to get more time on the field. At $468,700, you'll pay a pretty penny, but he could be a great point of difference to other teams.

And, of course, Aaron Sandilands. Do we believe the whispers from the Fremantle camp, suggesting that he is in the best physical condition of his career? The 211cm monster averaged just 64 points from seven games in 2013, the first time he has averaged under 100 since 2008. At $310,700, he could be an inspired selection.

History
Since 2000, Collingwood and Fremantle have played 18 times. From left to right, this is the result of each game from the start of the millennium.

F - C - C - F - C - F - C - F - F - F - C - C - F - C - C - C - C - F

Overall
Collingwood: 10/18
Fremantle: 8/18

Collingwood home game (MCG, Etihad Stadium)
Collingwood: 6/10
Fremantle: 4/10

Fremantle home game (Patersons Stadium)
Collingwood: 4/8
Fremantle: 4/8

The Pies and Dockers have played three times at Etihad Stadium. Fremantle have a 2-1 advantage. The last time these sides played at Etihad was in 2004.
Prediction
With the loss of Ben Reid and no Jesse White up forward, the Pies aren't at full-strength, although with a home ground advantage, it could prove to be quite an even game. However, I am tipping FREMANTLE to start the season with a win.

Fremantle by 24.

First goalkicker: Matt de Boer

Nice write up. I think its fair to say of Pavlich that he is in the best shape he has been in for many a year, not missing a training session this preseason so Brown will certainly have his hands full. Pav has looked razor sharp in his practice matches.
The midfield battle is a pretty exciting prospect here with both sides boasting blue chip players everywhere. Sandilands service could be the difference, Mundy in particular has looked very good roving to him.
Sheridan, Neale & Sutcliffe all from the class of 2011 have come on in leaps and bounds this pre-season, expect them to make a good showing. Goes to show Lyon is happy to play youth if they are good enough.
Can't believe its starting again! Exciting times. Should be a cracking game to open the season.

Reid a massive out for Collingwood. I like the way Buckley is going about it and really don't mind watching Collingwood, but I think Freo are going to suffocate them in devastating fashion.

Good match. I am confident Pies will perform well but game is up for grabs.

As a Pies supporter seeing the midfield group of Pendles, Swan, Beams, Ball, Sidebottom, Adams and Young line up together for the 1st time is exciting. Freo also have a great midfield and if one of the 2 get on top will go a long way to deciding the game.

Well, I'm pretty well giddy that footy is back, even if the first game is between a team I hate and a team I feel I'll grow to hate in the next few years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Collingwood will win easily IMO, Freo looked sluggish during the preseason and Ross Lyon began making excuses along the lines of "we started four weeks later than everyone". I think Cloke will bag 6 (4 from dodgy Matthew Nicholls free kicks) and the pies will win by 36.

Very difficult to pick this although I think most Pies supporters are suggesting that Freo go in favourites. Of course that was not so until Reid and White were withdrawn because Pies supporters were looking forward to seeing Cloke, Reid and White wreak havoc with opposition defences and now that won't happen. Hope at least that it's a close match and no injuries. Go Pies!

Collingwood will win easily IMO, Freo looked sluggish during the preseason and Ross Lyon began making excuses along the lines of "we started four weeks later than everyone"

That excuse sounds a lot like logic from Ross Lyon. I'm assuming you are not used to calculated individuals delivering truth to externals. Nor of logic. Welcome to it.

Zac Dawson to shine. Freo to crush Pies. As if it is likely to be anything else at Etihad with Ross Lyons Freo record of only 1 etihad loss.

........btw for those interested. The single loss was saints last season when resting 10 Grand Final players hehehehe

I think this is an easy pick. ross lyon at Etihad is as good as money in the bank. when you look at the players that Collingwood lost last year. the players they have out. fremantle with sandi, pav mcpharlin all healthy as they have looked in years. I can't see Collingwood getting close. but that could very well me talking from the heart...

s if it is likely to be anything else at Etihad with Ross Lyons Freo record of only 1 etihad loss.
If Freo will win because Ross Lyon has only lost 1 game with Freo at Etihad - does that mean Collingwood will win because Nathan Buckley has only lost 1 game with Collingwood at Etihad?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back