Unofficial Preview Round 1 Dees vs Dogs - The Future Present - Opposition Supporters Welcome

Remove this Banner Ad

With Toby McLean making his triumphant return, it's hard to see how the Bulldogs lose a game this year.

Dogs aren’t paying any of his salary this year or next. It’s why you paid almost nothing in the trade.

I am so Glad to have him gone…. I give you guys 3 months before you turn on him. Once the pressure comes on…. the running won’t stop but the kicking:

giphy.gif
And the pausing.....hes a momentum killer. Massive tank, hope he works out for you (not too well)

Mate he's not kicking to useless spuds like Schache anymore, he's kicking to power house key forwards like Schache now
Im actually sorrywe let Schack go, but he wasnt getting a decent run with us, he had every reason to look elsewhere. Good hands, good leading patterns, great kick, but soft as butter, maybe thats a confidence thing that can be fixed with more 1st team games, dunno. Again, like Hunter, hope he works out for you, but again, not too well ;)

Looking forward to this first game, should be a cracker

We need a rivalry team! We seem to be lacking in this area for some reason. Is the Dogs our biggest rivals atm? Or maybe Cats? Had some memorable games against the Cats in recent years. Does beating the Dogs in the GF mean they are now our main rival? Don't know, but i want a side to hate more than Collingwood and Carlton.

We need a rivalry team! We seem to be lacking in this area for some reason. Is the Dogs our biggest rivals atm? Or maybe Cats? Had some memorable games against the Cats in recent years. Does beating the Dogs in the GF mean they are now our main rival? Don't know, but i want a side to hate more than Collingwood and Carlton.
Yeah it's a contrived rivalry, there's no real reason to hate the Bulldogs. It's a bit like after 2016 the afl tried to make a Bulldogs vs gws rivalry. To me it's still Collingwood, not because of history but the woodsman have the wood over us recently. I can only recall beating them in 2020, since that final game of 2017 it's been tough viewing. Carlton I've never cared about they been irrelevant for 20 years, like Melbourne pre 2021.

Yeah it's a contrived rivalry, there's no real reason to hate the Bulldogs. It's a bit like after 2016 the afl tried to make a Bulldogs vs gws rivalry. To me it's still Collingwood, not because of history but the woodsman have the wood over us recently. I can only recall beating them in 2020, since that final game of 2017 it's been tough viewing. Carlton I've never cared about they been irrelevant for 20 years, like Melbourne pre 2021.
Honestly I think all rivalries are contrived. "Hey you're in the same state as me so I hate you!" is all they've got..

Geelong/Hawthorn was a great one but their matches in isolation were consistently won by Geelong for ages. As a Dogs fan I hated GWS the team for like a year, but how can you sustain a hatred for a club like that?

Melbourne aren't our rivals, there are four smaller type clubs that obviously stand out in Victoria and it's Melbourne, us, North and St Kilda, of the four Melbourne are the biggest. Two of us have had recent success so we probably have some superiority complex and the other two haven't so they don't. I can't look down on clubs that have so many eyes looking down on them already (talking about the "big" victorian clubs and their supporters here).

Honestly I think all rivalries are contrived. "Hey you're in the same state as me so I hate you!" is all they've got..

Geelong/Hawthorn was a great one but their matches in isolation were consistently won by Geelong for ages. As a Dogs fan I hated GWS the team for like a year, but how can you sustain a hatred for a club like that?

Melbourne aren't our rivals, there are four smaller type clubs that obviously stand out in Victoria and it's Melbourne, us, North and St Kilda, of the four Melbourne are the biggest. Two of us have had recent success so we probably have some superiority complex and the other two haven't so they don't. I can't look down on clubs that have so many eyes looking down on them already (talking about the "big" victorian clubs and their supporters here).
I think you can have genuine rivalries that are relevant at the time like Geelong vs hawthorn from 08 to 13 both teams dominated in that period Geelong early hawthorn later but it's not the same anymore. It's like Carlton vs Collingwood that was more relevant 40 years ago, likewise Melbourn vs Collingwood 60 years ago. The suburban football thing is long gone, I tend to dislike the teams that are on top of the ladder, I don't mind hawthorn now because they are s**t but 10 years ago they were the most hated club.

I think you can have genuine rivalries that are relevant at the time like Geelong vs hawthorn from 08 to 13 both teams dominated in that period Geelong early hawthorn later but it's not the same anymore. It's like Carlton vs Collingwood that was more relevant 40 years ago, likewise Melbourn vs Collingwood 60 years ago. The suburban football thing is long gone, I tend to dislike the teams that are on top of the ladder, I don't mind hawthorn now because they are s**t but 10 years ago they were the most hated club.
Rivalries are dead because the players are all boring as *. How can fans truly get behind a rivalry when the players hug and kiss each other all game.

Toby Greene single handedly made GWS vs the dogs interesting for a few years. The AFL and the media have watered down the product so bad that each game is just 22 generic blokes playing 22 other generic blokes in a different jumper. It's ******* dumb. If Melbourne and the dogs got some biffo going, talked s**t in the media properly and encouraged the entertainment side of the brand you'd add 10k supporters to each game but instead it's all about pleasing the mothers who are worried about the images for their 7 year olds who play call of duty 24-7

Rivalries are dead because the players are all boring as *. How can fans truly get behind a rivalry when the players hug and kiss each other all game.

Toby Greene single handedly made GWS vs the dogs interesting for a few years. The AFL and the media have watered down the product so bad that each game is just 22 generic blokes playing 22 other generic blokes in a different jumper. It's ******* dumb. If Melbourne and the dogs got some biffo going, talked s**t in the media properly and encouraged the entertainment side of the brand you'd add 10k supporters to each game but instead it's all about pleasing the mothers who are worried about the images for their 7 year olds who play call of duty 24-7
Yeah, good ideas.

Let's have actual lions at the Brisbane Lions game as well, especially when they play the Saints so the lions can eat the christians so we can all cheer and be distracted from the troubles of our lives and our inept governments

The Bulldogs GWS "rivalry" is just so cringeworthy. Just pure AFL marketing to try and create history and culture at a new club without one. It's obvious that Channel 7 commentators have been given a directive to try and talk it up and create something that's not there.

There once were very clear rivalries , until the AFL decided that every game was a rivalry of sorts . Its also obvious the 7 commentators are reluctant to call out bad umpiring performances , not one off poor decisions per say , or the way they talk up rule changes before they have been given a good run .
Dees by 20pts ( maybe )

The Bulldogs GWS "rivalry" is just so cringeworthy. Just pure AFL marketing to try and create history and culture at a new club without one. It's obvious that Channel 7 commentators have been given a directive to try and talk it up and create something that's not there.

Nah that’s miles off, there’s been genuine feeling in that rivalry for years, between the clubs, players and supporters. Wasn’t just based off one game or one finals series. Leon Cameron, Callan Ward, Ryan Griffen, Tom Boyd, the Prelim, Greene/Bont, Greene/Dahlhaus, Bont/Haynes, etc.

The dogs would have had the lightest preparation for an AFL season in history. An intra-club (or 2?) and a praccy vs North (who are about as strong as wet toilet paper). Will be interesting to see what effect, if any, that has on their intensity.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The dogs would have had the lightest preparation for an AFL season in history. An intra-club (or 2?) and a praccy vs North (who are about as strong as wet toilet paper). Will be interesting to see what effect, if any, that has on their intensity.
Playing Carlton and North in the 2022 pre-season had no effect on Melbourne starting 10-0.

Better chance hes my avatar in 3 months. Looks ******* amazing. Far better player than I ever thought he was at the Dogs. Our club is amazing. Mitch Hannan also looked a far better player for us than he did you. Read into that what you will. :moustache:
A11dAtP0w3R goes bang! Bang bang bang!

Hi all, I come in peace!

This is a fascinating match up, probably the game I'm most looking forward to.

Was talking to a mate last night and we speculated on the Dees playing 4 tall defenders - Lever, May, Petty & Tomlinson - with the idea being that Tomlinson could push up to the wing if the Dogs don't play Sam Darcy forward.

Thoughts?

Hi all, I come in peace!

Was talking to a mate last night and we speculated on the Dees playing 4 tall defenders - Lever, May, Petty & Tomlinson - with the idea being that Tomlinson could push up to the wing if the Dogs don't play Sam Darcy forward.

Thoughts?
We won't play 4 talls

Hi all, I come in peace!

Thoughts?
Think Tomlinson will struggle to get a game in the seniors this year. If we went another bigger defender, Turner and Hibberd (even though he's a bit smaller) are both ahead of him anyway.

Doubt we'll be reactive to the Dogs' selections – we play more of a zone anyway, so the 1:1 matchups aren't overly important.

Hi all, I come in peace!

Thoughts?

Dogs will play 4 talls, hoping to isolate these likely matchups. Lobb (Petty), Darcy (Gawn), Naughton (May) and JUH (Lever). The forwards will all enjoy over a 10cm height advantage. In these matchups, the Dees player is stronger and will have to out-body the forward. IF the forward has space and can fly to the ball, they will mark the majority of the time. This has been a major focus of the bulldogs ball movement this summer. Kicking to a moving tall and kicking long to an isolated talls advantage.
Dees will try and get Lever to drop off JUH, who he can’t keep up with anyway. Lever will be needed to be third man in against Naughton / Lobb / Darcy. It will be the bulldogs job to kick it away from Lever and probably isolate the Darcy, Lobb and JUH match ups.

Looking at the statistics from the last few battles. When English is not in the ruck, the bulldogs have been heavily scored against. With the arrival of Lobb, this huge advantage for the Dees is gone. Dees will still enjoy having a better ruckman at every contest Grundy and Gawn tandem but the advantage is much lesser against Lobb than it was against Cordy/Khamis/Bruce.

The movement of Hunter from Dogs to Dees, brings the best defensive wingman into the team who has the best offensive wingman. Thus strengthening the Dees midfield further.

While the arrival of Jones & Lobb significantly strengthens a bulldog backline and forward line.

Its the Dees midfield advantage that has to overcome their dysfunctional forward line (Fritsch aside) and potentially not having a backline advantage which they have enjoyed the last few years.

Is Hunter & Grundy enough added into the midfield mix to improve the Dees enough….

I think not but then I am biased. Dogs won last time and their additions will have a bigger impact.

Dogs by 30.

Dogs will play 4 talls, hoping to isolate these likely matchups. Lobb (Petty), Darcy (Gawn), Naughton (May) and JUH (Lever). The forwards will all enjoy over a 10cm height advantage. In these matchups, the Dees player is stronger and will have to out-body the forward. IF the forward has space and can fly to the ball, they will mark the majority of the time. This has been a major focus of the bulldogs ball movement this summer. Kicking to a moving tall and kicking long to an isolated talls advantage.
Quick Google tells me:
Lobb is 9cm taller than Petty
Naughton has 5cm on May
Ugle-Hagan 3cm on Lever
Darcy 3cm shorter than Gawn

:think:

Dees will try and get Lever to drop off JUH, who he can’t keep up with anyway. Lever will be needed to be third man in against Naughton / Lobb / Darcy. It will be the bulldogs job to kick it away from Lever and probably isolate the Darcy, Lobb and JUH match ups.

Looking at the statistics from the last few battles. When English is not in the ruck, the bulldogs have been heavily scored against. With the arrival of Lobb, this huge advantage for the Dees is gone. Dees will still enjoy having a better ruckman at every contest Grundy and Gawn tandem but the advantage is much lesser against Lobb than it was against Cordy/Khamis/Bruce.

The movement of Hunter from Dogs to Dees, brings the best defensive wingman into the team who has the best offensive wingman. Thus strengthening the Dees midfield further.

While the arrival of Jones & Lobb significantly strengthens a bulldog backline and forward line.

Its the Dees midfield advantage that has to overcome their dysfunctional forward line (Fritsch aside) and potentially not having a backline advantage which they have enjoyed the last few years.

Is Hunter & Grundy enough added into the midfield mix to improve the Dees enough….

I think not but then I am biased. Dogs won last time and their additions will have a bigger impact.

Dogs by 30.

English is rucking here is he not?

Friendly reminder Dogs lost their reigning "Charlie Sutton" best and fairest winner Josh Dunkley, and that Lachie Hunter is also a previous winner of "Charlie Sutton" best and fairest at West Dog, so while Melbourne's midfield is stronger the Dogs midfield is now way shittier.

Also I expect Treloar to cry even more than he already does and have a really s**t year too, because of how close he was to Dunkley. He will be VERY sad his bff is gone and that will surely impact his game.

Hi all, I come in peace!

Thoughts?
More likely the 3 talls, plus one of Grawndy at a time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back