Autopsy Round 1 - Deja Vu

Remove this Banner Ad

Fitness wasnt that bad. The ******* poor skills and decision making ******* stunk with players totally capable of better skill execution. Just ******* stunk. I am ******* filthy on half a dozen players. Even Buckets was ******* complete sh*t early.
Nothing to like at the moment apart from H/F.

Another outstanding round 1 achievement from the blue and white. I jest. It was bloody painful.

Positives - some driven by blind optimism:
  • shades of round 1 last year where it looked like the players just met each other in the change room. Improvement ahead.
  • If Mackay stayed on the ground and found touch there is a chance we could have won this.
  • JHF - OMG squee. Probably going to be our best player since Carey assuming he doesn't break in half or spend his days reading Big Footy.
  • Goldie - still a huge asset
  • Simpkin - looks like he has permanently gone up a level.
  • Mahoney - if Jack was faster and we had two of him good things would ensue.
  • Lazarro - probably starting 22
  • Greenwood - a few signs, critical in Cunnington's absence.
  • Ziebell - still a role to play down back
  • Larkey & Zuhaar - will only get better. .
  • Noble smart enough to drop the three ruckmen idea immediately
EDIT - roos_tt29 rightly points out below that LDU had a solid game. 100%.

Negatives
  • We don't have a back spine. Left unresolved this season will be worse than last year.
  • It is entirely possible that we are a slow starting team with a few huge losses ahead short term.
  • Thomas & Stevenson - concerning they did not impose themselves against mediocre oppo.

Probably a lot more but until Mackay gets proper support we're here through loyalty alone. A huge worry is that there are no clear options available.

Last edited:
Hello Sphynx- without putting you on the spot and opening you up to a lot of negative feedback. I believe you may have said yesterday there's a few playing that are not up to the rigours of AFL.

I agree with that, was wondering whether you felt like naming those you feel are not part of the future?

Ziebell - He simply wouldn't get a game at 90% of AFL clubs in that role.
Young
Scott - Was OK yesterday
Corr - Hopefully a massive improvement is coming based on what I've seen in training and that Rnd 1 game. There's no argument to be made that he's even better than Josh Walker, which is concerning.
Lazz - Simply not ready yet and looked just as bad in most pre-season hitouts.

I don't think it's all doom and gloom. People are certainly overreacting a little bit to a round 1 fixture that we controlled big sections of the game.

Thomas, Zurhaar and Stephenson will struggle to play worse games for the entire season. Thomas particularly. I think it's pretty encouraging that we managed to be inside of a goal half way through the last with so many of our best 10 having down days.

Our key defensive depth is shithouse, but have known that for years. Ziebell is a defensive liability, but we've known that for 18 months and losing McKay only exacerbated that.

I expect Hawthorn won't come close to the best team we play this year and we will definitely be on the end of some big scores, still quite a few positives from the day from my perspective.

We also won’t play too many worse teams than we did yesterday…

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

We also won’t play too many worse teams than we did yesterday…

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Understand that, but I'm hoping we also hoping some of our best wont play many worse games than that, so it cancels out.

Lets hope....

I said In all my pre-season reports that I fully expect us to finish bottom 4-6 this season, the poor skills were glaringly obvious back then.

Ziebell - He simply wouldn't get a game at 90% of AFL clubs in that role.
Young
Scott - Was OK yesterday
Corr - Hopefully a massive improvement is coming based on what I've seen in training and that Rnd 1 game.
Lazz - Simply not ready yet.

Yeah Ziebs is about cooked. Had a good career.
Young- yep
Scott- def yep
Corr- Haven't followed his career, hasn't played enough for us for me to have an opinion.
Lazz isn't ready but at least can run and cover ground.

Yes, I think he might be out for Rnd 3 also.

It depends on the fine print, but it's a 14 day mandatory non-selection period and we play Rnd 3 on a Saturday......

12 days not 14.

Yeah Ziebs is about cooked. Had a good career.
Young- yep
Scott- def yep
Corr- Haven't followed his career, hasn't played enough for us for me to have an opinion.
Lazz isn't ready but at least can run and cover ground.
Based on yesterday young and Scott have more claims on a spot than others

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Personally I think you are jumping the gun on Young
He and Lazaro can both football, they can improve

Amazed more people aren’t blowing their minds over Corr
Sweet Jesus

The Hawks blokes were hitting 40m passes, handballing back over their head to a free player

We had Corr CCJ and Greenwood who looked they were throwbacks from the 60s, just unskilled

A real worry, add to list , it’s getting long

I'm pretty worried that we're going to create a losing mentality where winn becomes an afterthought.
Personally I think you are jumping the gun on Young
He and Lazaro can both football, they can improve

Amazed more people aren’t blowing their minds over Corr
Sweet Jesus

The Hawks blokes were hitting 40m passes, handballing back over their head to a free player

We had Corr CCJ and Greenwood who looked they were throwbacks from the 60s, just unskilled

A real worry, add to list , it’s getting long
Bit scary huh.
I love this club but I don't want to feel depressed every Monday after the game.

Is there any way to see the CBAs from yesterday's game?

Felt like Thomas, JHF and Powell were underused in there.

We had no aerial player capable of taking pack marks. TT was probably the most active. That is why Comben is important as he has that ability. Larkey, Goldy etc are more down the line wrestles.
Ford can take them.

So can Zurhaar and some of our mids.

But I agree our taller players struggle with it. Isn't that what CCJ was sposed to do?

I was telling friends I was bullish on north this season and so excited to watch our kids develop
I lost that feeling after our exposed practice matches form
We look just as bad as last year
Sadly my friend we look worse, noble honeymoon over….

Yes it is a tad extreme and yes possible all three due to injury history wont make it, cripes if all three succumb I'd suggest we'd be the unluckiest club in the history of professional sport.

They all have the skill level and modern footballer attributes to be very good at this caper. And while it is a hit and hope approach the other options bring nothing but further pain and frustration to us supporters as we run onto the park with players simply not good enough.

Brightside is we'll have pick 1 again in all the drafts and possibly pick 2 in the Nat draft as well. I of course hope we start winning although not sure we will.
So throw caution to the wind
If Perez, Comben and Bonar come good physically then we have a consistent group of young players from 2016-2019. A few stars in there and a few very good "A-/B grade players.

Hey I understand your mood, hope today you're feeling more centred. Our biggest problem stems from on BF. The board gets a whiff and we're off and all of a sudden we're expecting to see improvement.

We finished last in 2021 with Atley, Dumont, Tarrant, Anderson, Cunnington available for selection at differing times. We bought in Greenwood & CCJ aka gum tree. I'm honestly not sure how we were improving on last season?

Now I'm disappointed for sure, but I am not at all surprised by yesterdays result. I said it just before kick off that I felt it was the worst North team I could remember.

And we got pantsed by a fairly ordinary outfit, so maybe I wasn't far wrong. As an aside and as we started X in the ruck when we had one of the best rucks in the game on the pine tells me wins aint the priority.

And my crazy mind is now telling me , Noble is there to oversee the rebuild and will be replaced by another more credentialed coach when the time is right.

Anyways I'm comfortable with where we are at, I had us 2/9 after 11. I may now be 50% out on our W/L ratio lol.

Oh well.

I'm not potting Noble fyi, just think his role is to get us ready.
If we can’t beat wet toast this Sunday, I can not see a win coming this season, now many will say that won’t happen, I would not be betting against it..

One more shoutout from the game - three cheers to the Roo faithful whose roar at the MCG when JHF kicked that goal made a spine-tingling moment, even more electric.

So thrilling to hear the Roo roar at the MCG again.

As my Joey & I danced around the lounge room high fiving each other, I told him to remember this moment. In years to come a common question among the Roo faithful will surely be - how did you celebrate JHF’s first goal?

Last edited:
If Perez, Comben and Bonar come good physically then we have a consistent group of young players from 2016-2019. A few stars in there and a few very good "A-/B grade players.

Yep those three would make a huge difference, partly due to them being more than capable of playing the modern game and partly cause it means three currently in the side make way.

I don't think we are. I do know we will be a better side of that I have no doubt. Yes we are improving. we are still too slow across the park.

Comben, Bonar, Perez are 3 that would improve that. We lack footballers who can run both ways at pace, or they have shortcomings that I doubt they'll be able to overcome.

Looking at the side yesterday there are 5/6 that I feel have a limited career in front of them. CCJ/Xerri will be one of the casualties as I can't ever see us playing both if Edwards/Comben are available.

Perez McKay ???

McDonald ??? Bonar

??? Cunners Powell

JHF Comben Zurhaar

Stephenson Larkey ???

??? LDU Simpkin- probably Xerri in the ruck.

Interchange, knock yourself out lol
You can not with a straight face have Stephenson in our team?, please explain…?
based on pre season and what I saw yesterday, should be cleaning the toilets for the next six weeks, so he can get the smell of farces into him…

Remove this Banner Ad

Back