AFLW Round 1 Discussion - 2020 AFLW season

Remove this Banner Ad

Well, after the fact so no one has to believe me but...

I got Carlton, GWS and my Dees right so far as tips (more tipping with the heart than head with that last tip). I tipped Adelaide so was way off there.

My tips for today:

Collingwood- not real confident on this tip. Molloy should help my tip here, but honestly, Collingwood have not played many good quarters of football yet in their short existence, and not many of those at the start of a year. But with the benefit of seeing teams full of debutantes struggle (though the Suns were much better than I thought), it is hard to tip West Coast, even if Hooker continues on her fine form from her last few seasons with the Dockers. I expect a "first round" close margin here. Magpies by 5

Bulldogs- hard to tip Saints as they are such an unknown quantity. Even with their two big stars gone to the Tigers, the Bulldogs have some classy players, in Lochland, Blackburn and Toogood, and hopefully Huntington can be injury free and show us her best. And it should be interesting to see how Newton goes, tough as it is to live up to hype (though Presparkis did it last year and McEvoy looks the goods so far after one match). I'm a big fan of McCarthy (I love the small, quick forwards) and was sad to lose a great workaholic from my Dees in Cat Phillips, but Saints still look light on experience. But that is why they are in the AFLW now, and good luck to them! Bulldogs by 12

Freemantle- I know they have lost some good players to their West Coast rivals, but they were a great attacking team last year, and I think at home, should be too strong for the up and down Geelong side. Geelong did well last year for a new side, even if they were in the "easy" conference, and have some great players, but McDonald out is tough against the Freemantle attack. Hopefully we see a good, injury free year from Morrison, who looked like a sensational rookie in the one game we got to see of her. Roux was a rated draft pick, so two young players showing us their skills for the first (well, second for Morrison) time is something to look forward to. Freemantle by 15

Thats not really right. The aim is that the AFL do not pay the wages ultimately, the clubs do. So 14 clubs (plus the AFL) between them need to find that $20m a season. A club like the Eagles with big entrenched sponsors that are already onboard the womens team (and something like 3000 paid members), already have their part of that covered, and if they dont, they are comfortably good with the shortfall.

Its even a plus, as what else are the Eagles going to do with their money?

I would think Collingwood, Carlton, Richmond, perhaps Melbourne are in a similar boat. They could pay for it right now.

AFL is known to have several million dollars in sponsorship already, add in individual club sponsorship and members for AFLW, and I think I recall they now get a bit for the broadcast

So, I think the industry as a whole would have a chunk of that $20 mill covered.

The issue would be that not all clubs would have it covered, and as an Eagles fan, I would be comfortable seeing the Gold Coast, GWS etc getting extra AFLW money funnelled to them, and the Eagles not getting any (they dont need it).

You're doing the one eyed partisan thing all wrong!

If "journalists" stopped writing 300 word articles about trolls and if forum posters stopped replying to 'lol women amirite' posts then im sure the trolling would lessen, they keep doing it because you lot always bite

i think the aflw is a great thing to encourage girls to get into footy but stop treating them like little kids, they don't need the internet superheros rushing to defend them from every piece of criticism thrown their way, its just condescending.

No talking about the AFL who take on all the costs for something that loses money
Oh you are referring to the 'men' paying are you? Broken record time. Did the men take a pay cut so the women could play? No. Did they donate money so the women could play? No. The male AFL players are not paying for AFLW, the AFL is. You know that organisation that doesn't identify as a gender. Unless the rules have changed, there is no Gender question when incorporating a body :) The AFL (the organisation) is non-binary (that should really trigger a few trolls).

Do you think the entity that is the AFL, renowned for putting making money ahead of everything else, would invest in AFLW just for the vibes?

Thats not really right. The aim is that the AFL do not pay the wages ultimately, the clubs do. So 14 clubs (plus the AFL) between them need to find that $20m a season. A club like the Eagles with big entrenched sponsors that are already onboard the womens team (and something like 3000 paid members), already have their part of that covered, and if they dont, they are comfortably good with the shortfall.

I would think Collingwood, Carlton, Richmond, perhaps Melbourne are in a similar boat. They could pay for it right now.

AFL is known to have several million dollars in sponsorship already, add in individual club sponsorship and members for AFLW, and I think I recall they now get a bit for the broadcast

So, I think the industry as a whole would have a chunk of that $20 mill covered.

The issue would be that not all clubs would have it covered, and as an Eagles fan, I would be comfortable seeing the Gold Coast, GWS etc getting extra AFLW money funnelled to them, and the Eagles not getting any (they dont need it).
Agree with this. If a club wants to be in the competition, then ultimately they need to be sustainable financially to their players and staff wages at a minimum. So memberships and sponsorship need to be sourced by the clubs themselves(which I'm sure they already do). No doubt this is the long game of course and atm they are building interest with the public to get them through the gates and watching on tv, and particularly at junior level to try and lift the standard which in turn increases interest. I just feel the original amount of clubs should have had time to build on this instead of just caving in to every club who wanted a team. Now we have a diluted talent pool within the competition which leads to people like me who loves footy, completely uninterested because the skills are so incredibly bad for a lot of the game and the scoring is so infrequent. No question about anyone of these girls endeavour at all, in fact I feel this is the one thing that gives the competition hope. Is that the girls who are playing seem to be giving it all they've got.

Do you think it needs to be? Do other investments pay for themselves instantly?
Well they’re pouring a mini fortune into Suns and Giants so yeah they could do the same for AFLW but I think the cost for full pro is too high.

Also other investments usually have a shorter timeline. With AFLW I think it’s going to take at least a decade or so to even think of going pro.

I think in 5-10 years we’ll see a much bigger spike in performance as the 5-8 yo girls from when League was first set up will becoming into the league and we’ll have far more who have grown up playing the game.

Going pro can be a gradual think, maybe 3-4 players initially etc. Needs a lot of patience. Jumping in too early though could have negative impacts from which it could struggle to recover.

Oh you are referring to the 'men' paying are you? Broken record time. Did the men take a pay cut so the women could play? No. Did they donate money so the women could play? No. The male AFL players are not paying for AFLW, the AFL is. You know that organisation that doesn't identify as a gender. Unless the rules have changed, there is no Gender question when incorporating a body :) The AFL (the organisation) is non-binary (that should really trigger a few trolls).

Do you think the entity that is the AFL, renowned for putting making money ahead of everything else, would invest in AFLW just for the vibes?
All of this was mostly dribble. The post was about the women wanting to be paid as professionals

Agree with this. If a club wants to be in the competition, then ultimately they need to be sustainable financially to their players and staff wages at a minimum. So memberships and sponsorship need to be sourced by the clubs themselves(which I'm sure they already do). No doubt this is the long game of course and atm they are building interest with the public to get them through the gates and watching on tv, and particularly at junior level to try and lift the standard which in turn increases interest. I just feel the original amount of clubs should have had time to build on this instead of just caving in to every club who wanted a team. Now we have a diluted talent pool within the competition which leads to people like me who loves footy, completely uninterested because the skills are so incredibly bad for a lot of the game and the scoring is so infrequent. No question about anyone of these girls endeavour at all, in fact I feel this is the one thing that gives the competition hope. Is that the girls who are playing seem to be giving it all they've got.

This is not how things work.

Businesses that are looking to expand their "product" make upfront investments with the understanding that it is a long term prospect.

I also don't understand the concept that revenue from the men's game can't be used to grow the women's game, and hence the game overall. I have heard the term "robbing peter to pay paul" thrown around a few times when discussing this point.

Growing the game with the introduction of AFLW is growing the overall game.

All of this was mostly dribble. The post was about the women wanting to be paid as professionals
Yes and that doesn't change anything? If the AFL (not the male players) feel it is a good investment for the women to go pro then they will invest in it. If they don't then they won't. Were you inferring the AFL are being forced for the AFLW players to go pro? Sorry, it is so hard to follow what you say - most of it is non-sensical.

Yes and that doesn't change anything? If the AFL (not the male players) feel it is a good investment for the women to go pro then they will invest in it. If they don't then they won't. Were you inferring the AFL are being forced for the AFLW players to go pro? Sorry, it is so hard to follow what you say - most of it is non-sensical.
Ok mate.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is not how things work.

Businesses that are looking to expand their "product" make upfront investments with the understanding that it is a long term prospect.

I also don't understand the concept that revenue from the men's game can't be used to grow the women's game, and hence the game overall. I have heard the term "robbing peter to pay paul" thrown around a few times when discussing this point.

Growing the game with the introduction of AFLW is growing the overall game.
That's not what I said exactly. I have no problem with the AFL promoting the women's game with the revenue from the men's game. And the 'product' was already in place, and has been for 150 years. The problem is that they are trying to sell an inferior product to the main product and I don't think it's fair to be using all the revenue from the men's game to pump into the women's game, which will always be an inferior product IMO. So what's wrong with expecting the clubs involved to be able to stand up on their own if they want to be a part of it? I just feel since the first season, all the clubs who weren't involved wanted to be a part of it, yet expects the AFL to simply keep them afloat. Hopefully that changes sooner rather than later..

Hey?? The AFL is looking to pay all wages for men’s AFL and take it away from clubs because it’s effectively paid by the AFL through it’s dividend to the clubs.

I have three very minor but positive observations before moving on to today's games:
  • The AFL(W) Record's Season Guide is much more substantial this year--maybe it's just because there's extra teams and historical stats to include now, in any case a good job done there.
  • Didn't notice it last year but Hickey Park is a beautiful ground and the turnout of 3k people (despite bad weather and a poor 2019 for Brisbane followed by a worse pre-season) was very encouraging.
  • Regarding a post earlier in the thread, just tried and can confirm the full quarter-by-quarter replays on the AFLW website can be cast from your device to TV again. Also, the thumbnails for the match highlight videos this year are cool:
View attachment 819753

Do you have a favourite player, anybody caught your eye?

Kate Lutkins - She reads the ball well and just seems a pure footballer.

Looks like our (Dees v North) game yesterday, where the wind created a definite scoring end. You'd think West Coast would want a fair lead by three quarter time. Great to see Molloy starting to shine.

If "journalists" stopped writing 300 word articles about trolls and if forum posters stopped replying to 'lol women amirite' posts then im sure the trolling would lessen, they keep doing it because you lot always bite

i think the aflw is a great thing to encourage girls to get into footy but stop treating them like little kids, they don't need the internet superheros rushing to defend them from every piece of criticism thrown their way, its just condescending.

I'm not sure you understand the motivation of trolls. Some may just be attention seekers, who really do need to be ignored, and some may be "accidental" trolls, who don't mean to do harm and are just expressing a view, no matter how ignorant.

But many are trying to intimidate people in order to enact change. They won't stop whether ignored or confronted. But confronting them, or rather, supporting their victims, helps reduce the intimidation.

This defending of others doesn't make people "condescending". Does Harris need my help against trolls? Probably not (though if she gets thousands, which she possibly has, it might be nice for her to know that many more support her).

You say we should encourage girls to get into footy but stop treating them like little kids. Well the girls we want to feel like they can have an equal future to any boys are little kids. The AFLW is about those girls in the Georgie Rankin photo. It is about girls like my 8 year old niece, who after watching me watching AFLW ran around outside showing off to me how fast she is.

These girls do access social media. They are getting their cues about what it is like to grow up into a woman from the world we provide for them.

It doesn't take being a "superhero" to stick up for these kids. It just takes being a human being.

Eagles supporters would have to be thrilled with the heat their team brought in the first half, though I do sense they'd be better off with more of an end-to-end game not afforded by the wind.

Collingwood finding a way this quarter, to their credit, but gee they could've put it well beyond doubt already. And now Davey looks in big trouble... oh dear.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back