AFLW Round 1 Discussion - 2021 AFLW season

Remove this Banner Ad

R1 2020: 48 goals
R1 2021: 76 goals

This has to show there is some improvement in skills and teams being coached better. Even Richmond showed a small improvement from an awful year last year. St Kilda were competitive last year are now reaping the rewards.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Well done to GWS today on a respectable performance which they can be very proud of. And well done to the AFL for ensuring it happened.

Obviously a couple options on the table for the R2 fixture, but I guess it'll just depend on what the Perth teams are allowed to do during the week.

The Dockers were more enjoyable than polished today, but that's what you're gonna get early in the season with Houghton (she is strong, strooooong, she is invincible) and Duffy (just wants to have fuu-un). But seriously, very lame playlist by the Fremantle Oval DJ. And on that aural front, I'm surprised nothing has been done about those wacky WA sirens yet, definitely seems like a shitstorm waiting to happen for a close finish in an important match.
Yep. There's a reason why the likes of Prespakis, Patrikiois and Morrison (hopefully she gets fit soon) among others come in and look immediately outstanding. These girls have had the development pathways available to them and they're constantly playing footy throughout their juniors. That's why this was always a generational project. I mean, the improvement from year one is obvious, but it's only going to get better as more of those girls who have played footy their whole lives and who have had elite coaching come into the league.
There's a reason why Emma King (an original marquee player of the league) kicked more goals today than her total tally across two seasons at middle-of-the-road '17-'18 Collingwood. And if she was playing for Richmond this afternoon, she would've struggled to pick up 3 disposals, let alone 3 goals.

Although Brennan missed some opportunities today, the chances would have kept on coming if she was playing for North Melbourne. Eventually she would've found her radar and made her stat sheet look a lot better (no different to Phillips yesterday).

Probably a little cruel, but Richmond don't look like winning a game this year either. The AFLW equivalent of St. Kilda in the early days of the VFL.

Then why is there so much bitching about established players moving to expansion clubs? Um I guess supporters don't like losing players to other clubs maybe? And shouldn't the Western Bulldogs, who are loaded with high draft picks, be much better?
Yes!

Any team is going to struggle without ball-winning depth in their midfield, regardless of whether they have forwards presenting and taking overhead marks with strength (which Brennan did very well today), and regardless of age.
Brennan and Traub had 20 possies between them today, not a bad number for kpf's I reckon. Brennan did only have 3 marks for the game and I'm sure they were all very nice marks. How many goals would you expect from two key forwards having 20 possies between them in a game? 4? 5? or maybe 0?

Then why is there so much bitching about established players moving to expansion clubs? And shouldn't the Western Bulldogs, who are loaded with high draft picks, be much better?

Any team is going to struggle without ball-winning depth in their midfield, regardless of whether they have forwards presenting and taking overhead marks with strength (which Brennan did very well today), and regardless of age.

Draft picks don’t instantly make you better on the spot. There’s not even that many games to develop players at the highest level. I’m not surprised teams that weren’t raided don’t see the impact.

Draft picks don’t instantly make you better on the spot. There’s not even that many games to develop players at the highest level. I’m not surprised teams that weren’t raided don’t see the impact.
The team that got raided the most the Lions have a great development team but don’t get rated by so called AFLW experts Sarah Black and Sarah Ollie

Draft picks don’t instantly make you better on the spot.
I'm certain they can, but it's unrealistic to expect it unless they have sufficient support around them. Just as it's unrealistic to expect Gary Ablett Jr to make the Gold Coast Suns immediately decent.
Brennan and Traub had 20 possies between them today, not a bad number for kpf's I reckon. Brennan did only have 3 marks for the game and I'm sure they were all very nice marks. How many goals would you expect from two key forwards having 20 possies between them in a game? 4? 5? or maybe 0?
Brennan and Frederick collectively had a few opportunities that I've seen them convert regularly, but the new generation of players had nothing to do with them missing those chances today. Nevertheless, if you want to talk about the real problem with Richmond's F50, it's weird to focus on those two players instead of their All-Australian full-forward who has been absolutely dogging it out there for a few years now.

R1 2020: 48 goals
R1 2021: 76 goals

This has to show there is some improvement in skills and teams being coached better. Even Richmond showed a small improvement from an awful year last year. St Kilda were competitive last year are now reaping the rewards.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Besides the Carlton/Collingwood match, the standard has been pretty good and the match at Moorabbin was surprisingly good considering the amount of rain that had fallen before the match.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back