Toast Round 1 Dogs vs Pies Game Review

Remove this Banner Ad

He is, Bailey Williams is now elite. I’m not sure there’s a more complete defender in his position going around. He doesn’t lose a contest, seriously good in the air, work through traffic is unbelieable, racks up the ball, elite long kick. Takes the game on. Knows when to go and when to defend. He’s almost the perfect player I can’t remember the last time he did something on the field that I thought was poor!
Actually, your description is spot on. in 2019, I thought he was a fringe player, yet other on here thought he was going to be a gun. That was a great call by them. Happy to see this kid become the elite player he is. atm I think he is our most solid defender. I thought Duryia was extremely solid.

The good was the bad. The fact that Bont, Wallis and Treloar all had sub-par games (by their standards) means we have plenty of scope for improvement from some of our better players. The fact that we dominated possession and i50s yet only won by 16 pts means we have scope for much greater efficiency.

This is how you'd want it. We don't want to peak in Rd 1. We just want to do enough to keep winning most weeks until the business end of the season when we should be hitting our straps.

I hope Wally's so-so form is just a transitional adjustment. He doesn't have a genuine role in our midfield if everyone is fit but he can still offer plenty to the side. I'd still like to see him as a deep forward. The omens however are not good. Our previous three leading goalkickers have failed to kick on for the Dogs:

2017 - Picken (retired) and Stringer (offloaded, and no world beater at Essendon)
2018 - Gowers (delisted)
2019 - Lloyd (retired)
2020 - Wallis ... ?

One more "good" was Dale. I've been a critic of his for a couple of seasons - and I think it has been justified - but I thought he played another useful game on Friday. He just needs to keep doing it and not go missing in games as he has done too often in the past.

And yes if there was an "ugly" it was our set shots at goal, especially that horrendous miss of Bont's. How can such a good field kick be so abysmal in front of the sticks?
Dale was playing an unusual role. It looked like he was a half back flanker who transitioned into an attacking midfielder. Interesting role. any thoughts on my opinion.

Because he didn't what his position was

Not quite sure what to do with him.
I thought the same at the game but watching the replay he just dropped marks he usually takes, missed goals he usually kicks and went to ground a lot like Wally of old. I think his role was fine I think he genuinely just played a poor game

Centre bounce stats are out from the weekend. The interesting fact is that Bailey Smith didn’t attend one centre bounce against the Pies so that would suggest he’s now a full time winger.

Treloar only attended 2 centre bounces with the majority coming from Bont, Macrae, Libba & Dunks. You’d expect Treloar to attend more as he builds match fitness so it looks like we’ll be running with a 5 man midfield rotation.

Centre bounce stats are out from the weekend. The interesting fact is that Bailey Smith didn’t attend one centre bounce against the Pies so that would suggest he’s now a full time winger.

Treloar only attended 2 centre bounces with the majority coming from Bont, Macrae, Libba & Dunks. You’d expect Treloar to attend more as he builds match fitness so it looks like we’ll be running with a 5 man midfield rotation.
Hope Baz is ok with this.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back