Unofficial Preview Round 1 Early Thoughts: Sydney v Port Adelaide @ SCG, Sat 25-Mar 4:35pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Some people tend to have dark days no matter how bright the day actually is.

Saturday will be a bright day in my opinion & Towers can help make it brighter.
You may need to switch a light on in order to notice from where you are sitting!;)

Agree

Towers started last year well I expect the same

I'm not trolling, but I am looking forward to seeing Reid play again, I think he can straighten us up going forward, even if he doesn't star (and I don't expect him to).

I'm not trolling, but I am looking forward to seeing Reid play again, I think he can straighten us up going forward, even if he doesn't star (and I don't expect him to).

Hopefully he gets some early touch , rather than just vie for the international hide and seek champion

If he draw a man out of Buds way would be job 1

If he draw a man out of Buds way would be job 1

This is really all I expect from him in the first few rounds, that and not injuring himself.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No side has the advantage of surprise. Not after about Round 3. The only advantages are talent, work ethic, and pressure. The extra man in defence works because we can absorb defensive entries and burn sides on turnover. Having a second Hannebery type in Jones assists us greatly here. Also having a more "real" option in Reid will help greatly. Crowding the contest won't help us because the quick kick to space or to the forward line leaves a 50/50 to the opposition.

Tackling pressure works except where sides are allowed to drop or throw the ball at will. I expect that not to be as significant this year.

Sorry Bruce but the the extra in defense is a negative tactic to shore up a shitty defense and we don't have a shitty defense. To start your attacks from the back line means you are losing the clearances. Because you are under the pump most of the game. If you win the clearances then you spend less time under the pump. We won the 2012 GF by winning the clearances. Yes we attacked from defense but as Wayne Carey says we play a very tiring brand of footy. In other words if we do have a few players underdone it will impact our performance and it did in last year's GF. Toward the end they could not stand up, not that they did all day. I think Mills & Macca were passengers all day. We need to develop a more centric game style and we were almost there last year. We got more centre clearances then we have had since the Kelly era. This is a good start but we have to start winning against the big sides. I watched the Dogs tonight and they play exactly like the Hawks used to. I doubt Clarko will have them playing like that again.

Our coaches have to learn to react very quickly to the old Hawks moves that seem to beat us.

Its really only Papley and Heeney we will miss the most contribution from, Allir is not really needed against Port forward line.

Crap.We are going in too short in the backs. We needed another tall. Laids, Rampe & Marsh can't take Rider when he rests. They will get killed.

As difficult as it is I'm trying to put 2016 behind me before this game starts. We were written off before last season and proved most people wrong just by making the grand final.

We might be underdone but that just means another surprise gun could emerge and strengthen us like Paps, Aliir, Jones etc. did last year.

I just want us back on the winners list starting with round one. I love this team no matter how much of a disappointment the last game was.

Sydney by 18.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marsh is getting good, winning 1 on 1's and creating good counter attack...just shits the bed because he doesnt expect to be in those positions....y'all will see.
I agree. Marsh is tracking just fine. Still prone to making some mistakes but his composure is improving all the time. Should be a lock down back by the end of the season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back