AFL Toast Round 1: Essendon 99 to Adelaide 87

Remove this Banner Ad

Adelaide are a ******* dog club.

Scum players that aren’t attempting to be physical, they’re attempting to hurt players.

I hope Douglas never plays at senior level again. Piece of s**t isn’t even AFL standard.

I've seen plenty saying there was nothing in the Merrett hit...Douglas only had one intention & that was to put him into next week. He wasn't looking for the ball while that was Merrett sole intention. I don't know what the penalty structures are for this season but if he doesnt get weeks, that'll send the wrong message.

I've seen plenty saying there was nothing in the Merrett hit...Douglas only had one intention & that was to put him into next week. He wasn't looking for the ball while that was Merrett sole intention. I don't know what the penalty structures are for this season but if he doesnt get weeks, that'll send the wrong message.

I think what is sending the wrong message is the ex players in the media who refuse to say anything except the player shouldnt be suspended. They arent being objective, are mostly always wrong as the player does get suspended.
Brings down the quality of any analysis that occurs.

Horrible first 3 quarters from our boys
Not to single out Spud Patrol, but I've read this a few times this morning and I just don't get it. We outscored the Crows in 3 of the 4 quarters and position by position, I think we had them covered across most lines except for their run in the 3rd.

Q1 - We matched up against the 2017 runner up in the midfield. Our forwards were active. Our backs also came out about even. Ess 4.2 - Ade 3.5
Q2 - We dominated possession. Our backs stopped their forward attempts. Poor kicking for goal stopped some momentum Ess 1.6 - Ade 1.4
Q3 - Our poorest quarter of the game. We lost some direction and probably some self belief with poor shots on goal and some horrible clangers. Some of our mid listers went totally missing, not contributing the 1%ers they were earlier in the game. Also, Adelaide are quality. They were always going to come back and present. Even so, we still hit the scoreboard and didn't allow the run of 3-4-5 consecutive goals we've given up previously Ess 3.2 - Ade 7.3
Q4 - Everyone blows their load Ess 6.5 - Ade 1.3

Q2 Was frustrating with so many misses, but we controlled the ball for the majority of the quarter.
Q3 We were lazy and in doing so, we were soundly beaten. Would love to have heard what Woosha said to the huddle at 3/4 time. I don't think it would have been fire and brimstone, but more revert back to our game plan that worked in the first half i.e. no real Plan B, but much more Plan A.

I honestly thought we were in the game for most of the night.

Not to single out Spud Patrol, but I've read this a few times this morning and I just don't get it. We outscored the Crows in 3 of the 4 quarters and position by position, I think we had them covered across most lines except for their run in the 3rd.

Q1 - We matched up against the 2017 runner up in the midfield. Our forwards were active. Our backs also came out about even. Ess 4.2 - Ade 3.5
Q2 - We dominated possession. Our backs stopped their forward attempts. Poor kicking for goal stopped some momentum Ess 1.6 - Ade 1.4
Q3 - Our poorest quarter of the game. We lost some direction and probably some self belief with poor shots on goal and some horrible clangers. Some of our mid listers went totally missing, not contributing the 1%ers they were earlier in the game. Also, Adelaide are quality. They were always going to come back and present. Even so, we still hit the scoreboard and didn't allow the run of 3-4-5 consecutive goals we've given up previously Ess 3.2 - Ade 7.3

Q2 Was frustrating with so many misses, but we controlled the ball for the majority of the quarter.
Q3 We were lazy and in doing so, we were soundly beaten. Would love to have heard what Woosha said to the huddle at 3/4 time. I don't think it would have been fire and brimstone, but more revert back to our game plan that worked in the first half i.e. no real Plan B, but much more Plan A.

Yeah this is pretty much how I felt too. We played 3 pretty good quarters, notwithstanding abysmal conversion at goal in Q2.
Defensively we saw some good stuff in Q1, Q2 and Q4. Q3 they were all over us but for round 1 with our best mid down after Q1 I reckon we did pretty well on the whole.

I was actually more excited seeing us putting pressure on the ball up the field than I was seeing our forwards kicking goals. Round 1 is always the highest scoring round and Adelaide are a high scoring team (even without 2 of their best forwards - though Fogarty was certainly useful). I saw defensive pressure and intent that I hadn't really seen before from Essendon in recent years. Some good signs.

Bellchambers was fantastic. Even Stewart in the ruck proved too athletic for Jacobs. Was a huge effort to be winning the ruck battle against a player like Sauce.

Reckon u r unfair on Green. He kicked valuable goals when it counted most. He is all that you say ... front running, free kick playing... but he is invaluable to us. He gripes the opposition big time. Woosha is a big fan of Green.

He is a genuine goal scorer, he always bobs up which keeps him in the team, it's just apart from those 2 kicks a game he brings nothing else to the team. And his goals are usually cherry picked and Joe the gooses. My complaint is any vfl player can keep goal side of their opponent but can generally do more with ball in hand.

When watching a game live you get a much different version of events from on the TV. I was at the ground and the turnovers were attrocious from disposals that weren't even under pressure. Some poor decision making didn't help.

I think as supporters we've battled pretty hard for the last 15 years, I think we are due to expect a bit more.

He is a genuine goal scorer, he always bobs up which keeps him in the team, it's just apart from those 2 kicks a game he brings nothing else to the team. And his goals are usually cherry picked and Joe the gooses. My complaint is any vfl player can keep goal side of their opponent but can generally do more with ball in hand.

When watching a game live you get a much different version of events from on the TV. I was at the ground and the turnovers were attrocious from disposals that weren't even under pressure. Some poor decision making didn't help.

I think as supporters we've battled pretty hard for the last 15 years, I think we are due to expect a bit more.

It's round 1. Every team will be scratchy. The crows were, the tigers were. No stress, and most of the games will be the same. There will be a big improvement over the next 2 weeks once everyone is used to playing with each other.

I bought one of them old school jumpers last night and I LOVE IT.

What a win.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bellchambers was fantastic. Even Stewart in the ruck proved too athletic for Jacobs. Was a huge effort to be winning the ruck battle against a player like Sauce.
What happened to your pre-match? It was up and then disappeared? Josh Green plays his 100th game next week buddy.

I reckon the 2017 team would have lost that game. Looking out at the huddle from the stands at 3/4 time and seeing guys like Smith revving our players up and Goddard who looks like he believes this team will win his elusive flag and would not shut up.... its a whole new level of energy and belief.

What happened to your pre-match? It was up and then disappeared? Josh Green plays his 100th game next week buddy.
Gets locked until 1 hour before the bounce each week my friend. Josh Green will be a key focus next week.

Given the run in that they'd had a few minutes earlier it was pretty clear Douglas saw an opportunity to get his revenge & took it. Had no intention of even touching the football. It has to be weeks for sure.

In that situation I'd love to see Douglas sent to the bench for the remainder of the game as well... You shouldn't be able to take out your oppositions best player and carry on with your game business as usual.

Given the run in that they'd had a few minutes earlier it was pretty clear Douglas saw an opportunity to get his revenge & took it. Had no intention of even touching the football. It has to be weeks for sure.

In that situation I'd love to see Douglas sent to the bench for the remainder of the game as well... You shouldn't be able to take out your oppositions best player and carry on with your game business as usual.
In the auld days we had ways to make that happen that mightn't be exactly officially sanctioned... You did something like that and you had a target painted on your head for the rest of the game.
Those days are over (for the better?...meh) - but the system has to protect from or punish reckless acts which result in concussion. Recent research has shown that EVERY concussion causes some brain damage and multiple concussions can end careers, with life long effects. Either punish appropriately or take the Sheedy option of selecting at least one thug each week to meet out summary justice.
I think I gave myself a concussion (hence brain damage) by drinking all the beers last night. If someone could bring me some maximus, a burger and a replay link - that'd be great

As did McIntosh from Richmond when he took out Merrett but more discretely. What are teams supposed to do? Play a thug to concuss as many of the other sides best players as he can shirt front, hit with a back hander or elbow.

There are times when players do clash legitimately requiring true courage. But when one guy is bending over the ball and the other charges with a head high tackle and concusses him, that is a dog gutless act.

Last edited:

Robs the fans of an even contest and for that reason alone this sort of dog act needs to be eradicated. 40 thoudand fans pay to see Zac playing footy not to sit chatting with Doc Reid.

The funny part is those saying he caught the shoulder. The only reason he partly glanced it was because Merrett turned to protect himself at the very last second long after Douglas had lined his head up. If Merrett hadn’t turned it would have been right on top of his like Carcellas neck breaking bump.

I think I gave myself a concussion (hence brain damage) by drinking all the beers last night. If someone could bring me some maximus, a burger and a replay link - that'd be great

I'm in the same boat here. Struggling very hard with this hangover and my cure was going to be the replay and some nando's but the site from last season doesn't have it up

Remove this Banner Ad

Back