AFL Toast Round 1: Essendon 99 to Adelaide 87

Remove this Banner Ad

You'd hope that our boys would have done the same if the opportunity presented itself. Maybe a lesson for Zac re mouthing off ....

That said, would have liked to see someone remonstrate with him. Poleaxed a young star and not a peep from anyone.
Unfortunately someone played on from the free, there was no time for remonstrating

Pleasing to win a game against a top team when you could see so much room for improvement. I was pretty annoyed with Begley. His goal felt like it was his first possession of the game.

Changes
Myers (if fit) for Merrett (if unfit) or Begley. Would gladly sacrifice a small/med fwd for an extra inside mid.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app
Will Raz be back?

Unfortunately someone played on from the free, there was no time for remonstrating
Yeah, that was Hooker. Not the smartest thing he's ever done.

Who was Dea playing on? If it weren't for his strapped head I doubt I would have seen him all night.
We looked so much more assured with Dea than we do with Baguley. Dea can play taller too. Does the defensive things well

We looked so much more assured with Dea than we do with Baguley. Dea can play taller too. Does the defensive things well
I was genuinely asking though. I have no idea who his man was.

Excuse my mad paintshop skills - the last ~ 13 minute domination in numbers.

View attachment 473906
What that doesn't show is a desire to run with ball and kick long. That's how you need to play against Adelaide, as they like to flood the short kick option. Need to run and kick it over their heads where's there is always space i50.

Yep betts did nothing. If he played as small instead of trying to take mark of the year 8 times he might of hurts us. Dea, dunno who he was on but didn't make any mistakes

Pleasing to win a game against a top team when you could see so much room for improvement. I was pretty annoyed with Begley. His goal felt like it was his first possession of the game.

Changes
Myers (if fit) for Merrett (if unfit) or Begley. Would gladly sacrifice a small/med fwd for an extra inside mid.

Several players were hardly sighted until the last quarter run on, Tippa & Green among them, Stringer as well after being quiet for much of the 2nd/3rd quarters.

Begley's numbers don't look too bad - 11 disposal, 5 tackles, 1goal2 & he showed up late to help seal the win so I can't see him getting dropped off that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

(from saad thread

t8BiZE3.jpg

Adelaide are a ******* dog club.

Scum players that aren’t attempting to be physical, they’re attempting to hurt players.

I hope Douglas never plays at senior level again. Piece of s**t isn’t even AFL standard.

Awesome comeback reminisque of Bomber glory days

McKenna and Saads defensive run put Crows under huge pressure. Great to see. McKenna was all out offense previously, so big improvement.

McGraths run and carry in the last quarter Wanganeenesque.

Langford's precision handpasses under pressure while wearing his new #4 looked like Watson was out there. He is deceptively fast.

TBC was awesome all night long. And Stewart pinch hitting in the ruck was pretty competitive and ran Jacobs ragged. Reckon Stewart has improved 25%. His is obviously superbly fit and his running, ability to break tackles and marking was first class.

Heppell, Goddard, Zakas run, Stringer looking like he belongs and is about to explode at any stage.

And when we seemed to have lost our way, Walla was everywhere. Ran his guts out and his tackling and ability to find space and damage the opposition was unbelievable.

Last edited:
3 - B. Goddard
2 - B. Gibbs
1 - J. Stewart

Horrible first 3 quarters from our boys, very frustrating disposal from the usual culprits but good to see the boys stuck fat and really turned it on in the last quarter. Fitness levels must be pretty good because guys like zaka, Conor and tippa just ran and ran and ran to get us over the line.

I thought Goddard and stewart were the only two bloke who really were switched on from go to whoah for the whole game. As essendon supporters we really do critisise our players way too much and I too am guilty of it, but BJ really turned back the clock and whole others were turn and burning the ball Goddard had the mindset to pick out a target.

I am going to ridicule one player however, f**king Josh f**king Green biggest front running, free kick playing, unpressurised small forward in the game. I know he's fringe and we have a lot of injuries but when the ball went near him he just looks inept at AFL level, you just know he has no presence on the ground and he's our version of a half sized Jenkins.

That feels better.

I was genuinely asking though. I have no idea who his man was.
Ethan, its 2018 man.

There are so many rolling through and changing up, there are many changes.

At times i saw him on ellis yoelman, fogarty and betts (maybe just covering when Saad was burning up the ground). Stint on McGovern too

He rolls off his opponent and kills contests and knows when to duck off and create space often pulling his man out of an area so one of our "distibutors" can work into that space.

Does a lot of selfless things. Isnt worried about chasing kicks

3 - B. Goddard
2 - B. Gibbs
1 - J. Stewart

Horrible first 3 quarters from our boys, very frustrating disposal from the usual culprits but good to see the boys stuck fat and really turned it on in the last quarter. Fitness levels must be pretty good because guys like zaka, Conor and tippa just ran and ran and ran to get us over the line.

I thought Goddard and stewart were the only two bloke who really were switched on from go to whoah for the whole game. As essendon supporters we really do critisise our players way too much and I too am guilty of it, but BJ really turned back the clock and whole others were turn and burning the ball Goddard had the mindset to pick out a target.

I am going to ridicule one player however, f**king Josh f**king Green biggest front running, free kick playing, unpressurised small forward in the game. I know he's fringe and we have a lot of injuries but when the ball went near him he just looks inept at AFL level, you just know he has no presence on the ground and he's our version of a half sized Jenkins.

That feels better.
Reckon u r unfair on Green. He kicked valuable goals when it counted most. He is all that you say ... front running, free kick playing... but he is invaluable to us. He gripes the opposition big time. Woosha is a big fan of Green.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back