Unofficial Preview Round 1: Essendon v Hawthorn @ Marvel Stadium (March 20, 7:25pm)

Remove this Banner Ad

boncer34

Inaugural Steward
Jul 11, 2005
Baghdad
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Melbourne Storm
Do it AFL.

I don't think it'll work though considering Melbourne play Fremantle at the MCG earlier that day. Other than last year, they usually don't have two games at the same venue on the same day.
Special circumstances could overweigh that.

Let's be honest though 30k is never going to be enough for us vs any Melbourne club.

The Prosecutor

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 13, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon

jmoo wan

01101010 01101101 01101111 01101111
Oct 12, 2007
Ringwood
AFL Club
Essendon
they’d have to move it surely. it makes the most sense to allow more fans to attend and the AFL own Marvel so no third party to consider. it’s a no-brainer for the AFL.

it’s going to stay at Marvel isn’t i?

JayJ20

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 28, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Special circumstances could overweigh that.

Let's be honest though 30k is never going to be enough for us vs any Melbourne club.
Yep definitely.

I doubt channel Seven would be happy with our game being moved to Sunday so it's unlikely the AFL agree unless Melbourne vs Fremantle is moved to Sunday or moved to Marvel. Unlikely for any of that to happen.

eth-dog

Premium Platinum
Jan 11, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Coburg Lions, All Boston sides
Yep definitely.

I doubt channel Seven would be happy with our game being moved to Sunday so it's unlikely the AFL agree unless Melbourne vs Fremantle is moved to Sunday or moved to Marvel. Unlikely for any of that to happen.
They would probably swap our game for the Seven game on Sunday

Phone

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 7, 2010
La Capanna Restaurant.
AFL Club
Essendon
I don't see it being moved

the real problem is that we only have 4 MCG games a year and we always have one of them be against Melbourne because ????. This is our own fault. We should never play the Demons at the MCG

edit and before we get into it, I'm fine with only having 4 MCG homes a year. It's only a problem because we insist on playing the Hawks at the Dome and the Demons at the G.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

JayJ20

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 28, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
I don't see it being moved

the real problem is that we only have 4 MCG games a year and we always have one of them be against Melbourne because ????. This is our own fault. We should never play the Demons at the MCG

edit and before we get into it, I'm fine with only having 4 MCG homes a year. It's only a problem because we insist on playing the Hawks at the Dome and the Demons at the G.
Essendon and Melbourne (last time I checked) have the most MCC members. Probably the reason why we play them at the MCG.
AFL also want blockbusters at Marvel for $$$ purposes, which is why they prefer Hawthorn at Marvel over Melbourne.

My problem is that we always host them. We probably had only 2 away games in 13-14 years vs Melbourne. We always host Hawthorn as well.

Last edited:

Ati Tude

Senior List
Mar 20, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon
It clearly makes sense to move it for attendance, revenue, spectacle of Rd 1 at the G, 2 biggish rivals, no downside, MCC and Hawthorn support the move.

But the AFL are making decision, so it won't happen.

owen87

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon

sameolds33

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 11, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon

owen87

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
So on the one hand (MCG matches) it's all locked in and can't be changed. On the other, changing the fixture for the first 6 rounds, is flexible and we can "deal with it" if things change. Headline telling: Essendon's "audacious venue request". Audacious!
How dare Essendon want to give more of their members a chance to attend a game after not being able to attend games all last year. How DARE they.

sameolds33

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 11, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon

Remove this Banner Ad