Round 1 - Essendon vs Adelaide Pre-Game Build-Up Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Is that a strength of his? I must admit I'm a bit naive in terms of what his skillset is.

If he's a strong clearance player and has neat hand passing skills then along with his endurance this could be handy.
It was more about a lol on his kicking, if its that bad just get him to handball all the time.

So who thinks our selectors will name Otten forward to cover Tex istead of bringing in the Fog. Our selectors to have a track record of this kind of selection. The melts would be immense.

It would be incredibly surprising, best prospect ( and one we desire to pump games into), and one who has earned the spot in the JLT matches. It's almost inevitable Fogarty plays round 1 and until Tex is fit.

Not super concerned about Walker missing. Yes we are better with him in but only close to full fitness. He is as big a liability as we have when he isn't.

So who thinks our selectors will name Otten forward to cover Tex istead of bringing in the Fog. Our selectors to have a track record of this kind of selection. The melts would be immense.
Normally I would say it wouldn't surprise me, however Otten looked like someone who was contemplating the next phase of his life in the preseason.

Adelaide like to prolong the inevitable as long as possible.

Maybe for mid-tier prospects, but Fogarty is much more then a mid-tier prospect.

Much like Milera played round 1 in his debut season, Fogarty will also play round 1.

Donkey Magoo would need a new sig-line

I believe that our 22 this week will be hard to predict.

With the departure of Lever and Cameron, Smith out for most/all of the season and Tex, Brouch, Knight, Milera and Gallucci injured/underdone then the changes from our Grand Final team will be
Out - Lever, Cameron, Walker, B Crouch, Knight, Otten
In - McGovern, Gibbs, Keath, Gibson, Hampton, Murphy

McGovern and Gibbs are certain. Gibson is familiar with Docklands and provides flexibility. Hampton squeaks in ahead of CEY and Fogarty. Murphy is the only genuine like for like replacement for Charlie.

There are however many different combinations (e.g. Douglas to play as a small forward, CEY into the midfield etc). Whoever we select, any win will be a very good win.

I believe that our 22 this week will be hard to predict.

With the departure of Lever and Cameron, Smith out for most/all of the season and Tex, Brouch, Knight, Milera and Gallucci injured/underdone then the changes from our Grand Final team will be
Out - Lever, Cameron, Walker, B Crouch, Knight, Otten
In - McGovern, Gibbs, Keath, Gibson, Hampton, Murphy

McGovern and Gibbs are certain. Gibson is familiar with Docklands and provides flexibility. Hampton squeaks in ahead of CEY and Fogarty. Murphy is the only genuine like for like replacement for Charlie.

There are however many different combinations (e.g. Douglas to play as a small forward, CEY into the midfield etc). Whoever we select, any win will be a very good win.
No Doedee?

No Doedee?

As I posted earlier, I expect that Doedee will come in against Richmond.

Keath played against Essendon late last year and it would be a huge assignment to play Doedee on Stewart, Hooker or Daniher who are all much taller and heavier. Do we want to throw Doedee to the wolves in his first game? There will be a 40,000 plus crowd with most of them baying for our blood. Six days later we will need a shorter defence and I expect Doedee to replace Keath or Hartigan.

My only concern would be playing Otten as our third tall but that is certainly a possibility.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nothing like some good ol' Friday Morning Footy to start the season. By 8 am, I will be in a happy cheerful mood or peeps better get the hell out of my damn way. :)

I wouldn't say no gauge. Our B and then C grade teams beat freo minus 2 of its best 22. Were are you picking fremantle to finish? We should comfortably be above that.

Power are a top 8 threat, we gave them a reasonable run, ten points in it with seven minutes to go, with similar-ish teams but our important players were well down on gametime versus theirs.

The seasons start out a lot more even than they finish. We should be competitive against Ess, if I had to tip I'd pick us, but I wouldn't be surprised for it to go either way.
Yeah but pre-season is always tough. Are we playing our best team and is the other side playing there's? Are we trying new structures at time which is why we're getting scored on, or is this a true indicator? Do the players give a s**t? (eg our 2nd half against Port).

The game against Freo suggests we can beat Freo... probably but it was at a country ground, and was a bit of a nothing match. The Port game - out first half was excellent - the second s**t. Was that because both tired in the first and we were better , or were Port doing different things in the first half that let us score, and in the second we tried different things and switched off and let them score?

There's a lot of guess work involved. And I am not really confident with whether my guess is right or massively wrong.

Maybe for mid-tier prospects, but Fogarty is much more then a mid-tier prospect.

Much like Milera played round 1 in his debut season, Fogarty will also play round 1.

With Fog are you guys expecting a decent number of games for him this year? Just looking from a Supercoach perspective.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back