Round 1 - Essendon vs Adelaide Pre-Game Build-Up Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I want a flag, these guys out make it tough.
Tex is out for a week, Doedee will be fine in the Lever role and if he isn't then Keath comes in. We rarely have Crouch until R10 any season either. Cameron played 5 good games last year.

Smith is my only concern, and it's a big one.

My thinking is...

B: Brown, Talia, Doedee
HB: Douglas, Hartigan, Laird
C: Seedsman, Mrouch, Atkins
HF: Lynch, McGovern, Hampton
F: Betts, Jenkins, Fogerty
R: Jacobs, Sloane, Gibbs
I: Kelly, Ellis-Yolmen, Mackay, Murphy

Assuming, Walker & Brouch don't come up. Milera, Gallucci underdone.

Hartigan - would not be against playing Keath instead given his game today, but unfortunately he got injured.

Ellis-Yolmen - looks more ready than Greenwood who is underdone, but when fit is in our best 22.

Mackay - would prefer Milera, but gather underdone.
My gut feel is the side will be similar to the one I picked after JLT2... But Gibson will play instead of Murphy.

Tex is out for a week, Doedee will be fine in the Lever role and if he isn't then Keath comes in. We rarely have Crouch until R10 any season either. Cameron played 5 good games last year.

Smith is my only concern, and it's a big one.
Need Milera back. Would like to know how far away he is.

But both have shown that when they start with injury it usually dogs them for the entire season.

Doubt we'll see either of them at 100% capacity for much of 2018.
Not true in Walkers case, he's hardly had a full summer in his life yet he usually starts well. Crouch definetly though

Why wouldn't Greenwood and CEY both play? We pick a rotation of 5 mids in our 22, and with Brouch out, the lineup should be Sloane, Mrouch, Gibbs, Greenwood and CEY. Douglas was in the rotation last year but hasn't been playing there this preseason and is likely to line up in Smith's role across half-back until Milera is fit enough to play. Gibson would be the other option to play mid but he's been lining up more outside on the wing during the preseason where he's been outperformed by Seedsman.

The only spanner in the works is if we foolishly decide to play Mackay in the Smith role, but after Mackay was comprehensively annihilated by Jake Neade of all people in the 2nd half last week, I can't see how he gets a spot in the 22 for round 1.

Because Greenwood had a very limited pre-season and played literally half a JLT game. Was already coming off such low TOG numbers from last year (at around 65%) and needs to improve on that massively. If he's not match fit yet, then CEY seems the next best option.

Ideally, with a fully fit squad, think we can only play one of Greenwood and CEY. But that may change in time, depending what they can produce resting forward and on the spread, rather than purely contested work.

We could rotate CEY and Greenwood between forward and inside midfield, but it seriously limits our versatility.

I would not be surprised in the slightest to see CEY line up round, with Greenwood given a few 2 games in the SANFL to get 100% match fit, and then we reassess from there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sadly (IMO), It's looking like no Murph. I really wanted him zinging around in the forward half.

Hopefully it's just a matter of building AFL match fitness with Murphy.

Because he looked the best of the lot to replace Cameron. Was hard at the ball for such a small guy, and seems to make great decisions under pressure.

Was quicker than I thought and we already know he's a great kick. Disappointing, but I like that he's showing a lot.

An amazing stat discovered by Lee Gaskin at AFL.com in regards to Doedee and Fogarty both debuting... I quote:

It's the first time the Crows have fielded two debutants in round one since Wayne Milera and Mitch McGovern played their first games to start the 2016 season.

:huh:
Long time between drinks

In which position? Are you saying he'll play Smith's role and Dougy will move back to the midfield despite not playing there all preseason? Because that's the only possible scenario Mackay plays (assuming Gibson is in).

Mackay is such a spud, I can't believe they mention his name when referring to replacing Smith's role. He's a fringe wingman that's good for a couple of 7/10 games amongst mostly rubbish. They refer to flexibility, yeh, equally as incapable no matter where you play him.

Ummm..."kicks, marks and handballs" ....isn't that football ???
I know he's good at puffing his chest out and bragging...but it appears you can't win a GF doing that.
Time we all moved on from JJ ....he's as useful as Richard Tambling now and will be delisted and chalked up as one of our big mistakes come seasons end. Bookmark that!
Shame...he was never the same after pulling a heart string when his opponent said " BOO !!! "
Jeez Season hasn't even started. Lets hold judgement until he plays against Essendon. If he puts in a baddy against this mob then yeah....I'm on the band wagon.

Finally we are blooding our number one draftee straight away and not waiting 1-2 years before playing them. Only 3 players first picks of ours have played round one being Brett Burton, Brodie Smith and Wayne Milera. Good job Fog. And also good job Doedee, only took us two years to select him so he thoroughly deserves this chance at long last.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back