Round 1 - Essendon vs Adelaide Pre-Game Build-Up Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Bugger. No Lynch is huge.

Who else did we take over besides Otten that can play the link up role?

B Jake Kelly, Daniel Talia, Luke Brown
HB Rory Laird, Kyle Hartigan, Tom Doedee
C Paul Seedsman, Bryce Gibbs, Rory Atkins
HF Darcy Fogarty, Josh Jenkins, ?????????
F Lachlan Murphy, Mitch McGovern, Eddie Betts
FOL Sam Jacobs, Matt Crouch, Rory Sloane
I/C Sam Gibson, David Mackay, Richard Douglas, Curtly Hampton
I think CEY will play, would prefer to Gibson.. Hampton to start HF?

With Lynch out, it's anyone's guess who plays link man. Would normally say knight, but he's injured.

Murphy in, Hampton to push up and back off the hff? Dare I say it, Gibson? We really are looking at a decimated fwd line at this point.

A senior experienced tall versatile player who has grand final experience or a small rookie debutant.

For the selection committee there is no question

I doubt it will be, but I'm praying it's Murphy, especially for a fast team on a fast deck. I'm not convinced that Betts and Hampton offer enough forwawrd 50 pressure.

Can you imagine Otten chasing Saad, McKenna and McGrath?:sick::sick:

We've still got the 3 talls in Fog, JJ and Gov.

No Lynch, Greenwood, Walker or Crouch... a nice test for the depth*.

*Yuck, we're cooked.
We certainly aren’t cooked, if we are cooked without these players we should give the season away..

I’m certainly not as confident but we have a midfield of Crouch, Gibbs, Sloane with sauce!! As good as anyone right there.. Gov and Betts up front and Talia and Laird down back.. that’s a solid list on its own..

Let’s show the AFL world where we are as a team and make a huge statement with a convincing win!!

I think CEY will play, would prefer to Gibson.. Hampton to start HF?
I think Gibson will play. Does adding in CEY into the midfield free up someone like Sloane to play the link up from half-forward?

Something like:

HF Darcy Fogarty, Josh Jenkins, Rory Sloane
FOL Sam Jacobs, Matt Crouch, CEY

Doesn't look horrible.

And we can't rely on Milera, Smith, Knight or Gallucci to fill the gaps.

And Jenkins is out of form

I'm more concerned with Govs form than Jenkins.

Jenkins will always be soft, Gov is the one who has the potential to fill the shoes of Tex as the centerpiece of our forward line.

With Lynch out, it's anyone's guess who plays link man. Would normally say knight, but he's injured.

Murphy in, Hampton to push up and back off the hff? Dare I say it, Gibson? We really are looking at a decimated fwd line at this point.
Gov links up. Otten as the stay at home forward, JJ needs to throw his weight around, let Betts, Murphy and Hampton rove the packs at ground level.

Why? Should we tell players they can't knock up their wives 9 months before the season starts?

Obviously there has been no news released just yet and we should wait for official word, but you'd be hoping that there were no serious complications with the child birth at this stage..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

McGovern has done this in the past.
That eases some worries of mine.

All I can remember is knight accumulating heaps of marks in the game(s) Lynch was out.

We can afford to have a pack crasher up the ground with Fog deep now

I think Gibson will play. Does adding in CEY into the midfield free up someone like Sloane to play the link up from half-forward?

Something like:

HF Darcy Fogarty, Josh Jenkins, Rory Sloane
FOL Sam Jacobs, Matt Crouch, CEY

Doesn't look horrible.
I would have Jenkins at FF. Fogarty out of a pocket and Mitch at CHF as he is mobile and can play up the ground as required. Murphy is an absolute must now - we need his pace and he needs to go to a half forward flank. Ellis Yolman has to come in as the big bodied mid and he can go forward and kick a goal. Hampton plays on a wing and can fill in at half back as required. Gibson is a must as he can be used to shut down any one of their prime movers. I think we can go alright as long as both McGovern and Fogarty can crash packs and clunk the marks or bring to ground for murphy and eddie. Jenkins will be the surprise here - he has one of the best etihad records of any forward and Essendon will know this

What the f*** did we do in the pre-season? Get the entire team to run over hot coals or something.

There have to be serious question marks over our pre-season build up.
Those hot coals might be from me burning down the Haas.

I hope it is pregnancy related with Tom and his bride but if it is 'general soreness' as alluded to on MMM then questions do indeed need to be asked

I think the questions need to come anyhow.

Geez, what I’d do to see murphy’s Name in the side instead of Mackay’s...

Even if Murphy had never have played Mackays position (in fact... what f*ckin position does mackay play????) in his life I’d still back him to provide more value to the team than David “I don’t do tackling” Mackay...

Atleast your guaranteed that Murphy is going to provide a contest and try his guts out everytime the ball comes in his vicinity.. unlike David “do I have to get my hands dirty?” Mackay...

Doesn't tackle.

Must have been his twin brother who has been top 10 at the this football club for tackles for the past 6 consecutive years...

Good god.

The same Haas who got us through a year almost injury free??

We are going to play more players in the first 3 weeks than all of last season. Murphy not upgraded yet

If Lynch is out, Ottens plays FF, JJ plays CHF, McGovern and Forgety rotate thru Lynch's role and the 3rd tall Forward.
Hampton Plays CC role with Gibson playing the Knight role. CEY steps into to Greenwood position.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back