Round 1 - Essendon vs Adelaide Pre-Game Build-Up Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Far out some quality #BFlogic in here.

Where to start. Perhaps a *shakes head* is needed in times like these.

Ok, so we have a few out, but most acknowledge that a number of them will be right to come back in in the next week or 3. So if your Gibson, Mackay, Hampton, CEY, Seed or even Murphy, Jenkins or Harto and you think you might be on the fringe of a good team you had better play your ass off tonight if you want to stay in. From my experience, most people like to stay in the 1's. Dunno if bombers have quite the same pressure there as us.

On the subject of outs, didn't we have a few out Rd 1 last year? Who were we playing then? Was that side then, better than the Bombers are now? I would say yes. We ended up belting that side, but they were our bunnies, but Essendon, wait, what?

They played against us well last year, we still beat them by 46 points though and it probably helped that their coach had more insight into our gameplan than anyone else in an opposition team in the AFL. We would have tweaked things a bit, and he showed us his plan against us last time, so we should have counter plans to that now.

Someone said we should have traded Brouch, using logic of always being injured. By that logic, Eagles should have traded Embley and Geelong should have traded Ottens, Hawks should trade Cyril. I'll say no more.

Many have spoken about forwards and defences. Yet doesn't everyone say the game is won and lost in the midfield? Looking at the Carlton Richmond game last night, I'm glad we have some mature bodies with aerobic capacity built up. I'm pretty sure Carlton have programmed their training to peak earlier in the year and so are ahead of other teams fitness wise at the moment. Dunno if the Bombers would've done that, I think they're a genuine finals threat and so would've set to peak like most other teams. They might be a little ahead of us, given our late start, but that should be more than compensated by our older, more experienced bigger bodies. Despite the new faces, we have plenty who are used to our gameplan. Murphy learnt it last year in SANFL. Doedee has been learning it for a couple of years. Bombers have to cope with this too, and are probably in a worse position than us. Though I think the Bombers game plan is a level easier to execute than ours.

Some people talk about us not changing. Well didn't we do things like give Tex and Talia a week off last year, something that stuffed us up the year before. Over working jacobs was an issue as well, we corrected that last year. We were light on in the midfield cupboard at the end of last year, that's why we got Gibson and kept CEY. Lucky for us too, as we're in the same situation again now really. I expect this midfield to perform quite well though, we're not playing sore or out of form players. In JLT we played gov back. We played Jenkins in the Tex role that he's been poor at before (and found out he's still poor at it). In the season last year there were times we played Luke Brown in a mid role. We have 3 debutants! Still they're not happy. The thing is, compared to some, we're trying different things more slowly than they would. Its not that we aren't trying them. As long as there's signs of open mindedness, and there is, that's all we have to worry about.

Worst case scenario its a close game and we end up losing by 15-20, that's not the end of the world, its away from home, to a decent side while we have a number of good outs. Best case, we maintain our 76 point winning avg in the last 5 games. Is there really a case for negativity in all this?

Really looking forward to this now ... got a heap of work off my plate this morning, will cruise out for a quick 6 or 7 holes of golf late this arvo to blow away a few hooks, shanks and duffs for tomorrow's comp ... then it's time to get AFL going for 2018.

So many are underestimating us, including plenty on BF that are scared and scarred from last year's horrific ending ... I'm past that point now, and am just looking forward to seeing a new bunch of Crows take on the league and show that last year was not a flash in the pan effort. The club is changing, for the better.

All the debutants excite me. Doedee just looks so courageous, Fogarty looks like a menace, Murphy looks like he can create problems for the opposition.

Seeing Hampton and CEY will be great too, they have worked hard to get back after injury. They both have potential.

Can Jenkins shake off the monkey? Will someone like Mackay or Douglas shine in 2018 in a new role (remember what Brent Reilly did in 2012) ? Will setups / roles change, will our midfield take a new twist?

The two experienced players we brought in are going to be something to see. I know everyone seems to think Gibson is a bust already, but I reckon by the end of the year most will be singing a different tune. Gibbs is a lot better than people seem to give him credit for, but that opinion will fade away fast.

We scream and yell for change in the way our club handles selection, we want them to give youngsters a go earlier, we want to see talent rewarded. Well we have got that in spades in game 1.

Bring on the new season. Go you crows.

Just don't rate Hampton. Very Yarran-like to me. Quick, but soft and goes to water under pressure.
I have never seen Hampton show any signs of being soft.

IMHO his problem is that he is not an intuitive footballer. When he has played at half back he takes off at speed and then tries to work out what to do next. He often gets caught or burns the ball. He is much better suited to playing as a forward with an occasional run in the midfield.

As talented as Tex Tommy and Brouch? I don’t think so. Fantasia is a huge out for them though.
Gleeson up the other end offsets our loss of Lynch but yes they haven't lost the same talent level.

Gleeson is a top 10 player at Essendon, or thereabouts?

Wow
He's seriously underrated. His second half of the year last year had him leading intercept marks in the comp, was absolutely vital in us making finals, and was clearly BOG in the EF for us.

He's seriously underrated. His second half of the year last year had him leading intercept marks in the comp, was absolutely vital in us making finals, and was clearly BOG in the EF for us.

But still not top 10

But still not top 10
I disagree. Hurley, Hooker, Daniher, Merrett, Heppell, Smith, Stringer, Fantasia are all clearly better. Would have him on similar pegging to Goddard, Walla, Zaka, McGrath as on the fringe of that top 10.

I have never seen Hampton show any signs of being soft.

IMHO his problem is that he is not an intuitive footballer. When he has played at half back he takes off at speed and then tries to work out what to do next. He often gets caught or burns the ball. He is much better suited to playing as a forward with an occasional run in the midfield.
I think his problem is that sometimes he doesn't trust his first instinct - almost appears worried about making a mistake ... which invariably causes a mistake :)

His tools are still top notch. I mean which team in the modern game would want a really quick hard tackling 6foot2 / 90kg 25 year old with good skills that has 60 AFL games experience?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nope. Fantasia and Gleeson are top 10 in our side IMO (Gleeson maybe slightly outside) but not as good as those three.
Daniher, Goddard, Heppell, Merrett, Zaharakis, Hurley, Fantasia and Hooker are definitely in your top ten.

Does Gleeson rank above McGrath, Parish, M-Tip who finished 8th in your B&F last year.

There is also an argument to put one or more of the recruits (Smith, Saad, Stringer) in your top ten.

I consider Gleeson to be similar to Luke Brown, an above average AFL footballer but by no means elite.

Daniher, Goddard, Heppell, Merrett, Zaharakis, Hurley, Fantasia and Hooker are definitely in your top ten.

Does Gleeson rank above McGrath, Parish, M-Tip who finished 8th in your B&F last year.

There is also an argument to put one or more of the recruits (Smith, Saad, Stringer) in your top ten.

I consider Gleeson to be similar to Luke Brown, an above average AFL footballer but by no means elite.
I wouldn't put Zaka as definitely top 10. Gleeson's second half of the year was enormous, he lead the league in intercept marks and was top 3-5 intercept possessions post bye (the latter I'm not 100% sure on), and before his injury I had him as a smokie for an AA squad spot.

I wouldn't put Zaka as definitely top 10. Gleeson's second half of the year was enormous, he lead the league in intercept marks and was top 3-5 intercept possessions post bye (the latter I'm not 100% sure on), and before his injury I had him as a smokie for an AA squad spot.
Zaka came fifth in your B&F, where did Gleeson finish?

Just don't rate Hampton. Very Yarran-like to me. Quick, but soft and goes to water under pressure.

Not soft, but his decision making is pretty 50/50 when the heat is on. Sometimes he will hold the ball, take opponents on and manage to find the player away from the congestion in space, and you go "wow, **** that was good" and then 30 seconds later he just completely shits the bed and makes a crucial turnover which costs us badly on the break.

Never been able to remove this inconsistency from his game which is just a coach killer. Has the physical ability, the athleticism and the skills, but just doesn't have that silky smooth decision making, which sees him vary from a Chris Yarran to a Shaun Burgoyne, but it's still definitely more so the former.

Zaka came fifth in your B&F, where did Gleeson finish?
Outside the top 10, mostly due to missing 4 or 5 games in the first half of the year (games played is very important in our system).

All I know is 4:50am comes early

Looking forward to the start of the season. I think as per usual we need to be ready to play from the start. No falling behind 19-1 damnit!

Early in season I expect Eddie to have a lot of run in him. Obviously we need someone to step up for Tex

I will be curious to see how Sloaney plays---guys on last year of a deal can go one of two ways.

I see us winning but it won't be a cake walk.

Hurley, Hooker, Daniher, Merrett, Heppell, Smith, Stringer, Fantasia, Zaharakis No question
McGrath, Parish, Walla, Saad I would also say are better players
I rank him with McKenna and Bellchambers. so between 14-16

I think his problem is that sometimes he doesn't trust his first instinct - almost appears worried about making a mistake ... which invariably causes a mistake :)

His tools are still top notch. I mean which team in the modern game would want a really quick hard tackling 6foot2 / 90kg 25 year old with good skills that has 60 AFL games experience?

I've been a harsh critic of him in the past, and I struggle to see how his poor decision making will allow him to continue to play at AFL level.

But right now he's at that tipping point. Would like him to be up around that 100 game mark, but injuries have curtailed him. He's a great athlete, with good skills and has gotten himself fit again. With a spot in the 22 open, I'm more than happy to give him a block of 10 games, good or bad, to really see where he stands.

It's unlikely at the age of 25, that someone will iron out that lack of football instinct and poor decision making skills. But his upside is that big, that if he does put it together you're laughing. Who knows, maybe a good block of games, in a good, high scoring and quick side, playing his natural HFF role and he might just start to settle into a groove.

It's a BIG if, but as I said, he's the type of player that you take your chances on. Not the worst player going around and a decent depth option that could potentially move into that 20-22 bracket if good form continues. Will be watching with interest!

So Lynch is definitely out? What's the final team?

ADELAIDE CROWS
B

• Jake Kelly,
  • Daniel Talia,
  • Kyle Hartigan
HB

• Rory Laird,
  • Luke Brown,
  • Paul Seedsman
C

• David Mackay,
  • Rory Sloane,
  • Sam Gibson
HF

• Cameron Ellis-Yolmen,
  • Mitch McGovern,
  • Lachlan Murphy
F

• Eddie Betts,
  • Josh Jenkins,
  • Darcy Fogarty
FOL

• Sam Jacobs,
  • Richard Douglas,
  • Matt Crouch
I/C

• Bryce Gibbs,
  • Curtly Hampton,
  • Rory Atkins,
  • Tom Doedee
EMG

• Hugh Greenwood,
  • Andy Otten,
  • Reilly O'Brien,
  • Kyle Cheney

What happened to the grand old tradition of posting the gameday thread at 12.01 a.m?

I hope the team is better prepared than our Bigfooty posters :eek:.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back