Round 1 Fixtures - Pathetic

Remove this Banner Ad

freo1

Club Legend
Jul 19, 2006
perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Hard to get excited by yet AGAIN Richmond v Carlton. WTF! Sooooo boring! who cares.

WCE deserve to open the season at home against Collingwood or whoever they want, home or away.

Why the worst performed team of recent decades (Carlton) still attract lucrative timeslots amazes me.

The Premiers playing the Lions at the GABBA in to round 1 is a slap in the face to them massively. Either a home game or a Melbourne game of their choice should be available.

Competition/fixturing becomes more of a joke every year.

I get where you’re coming from. Afl Fixture is becoming more of a joke in recent years

Richmond vs Carlton will never change because it’s a tradition and Remember 2008 when They both finished bottom two the previous year, but still got to open the season. Anything can happen for Carlton. Look up Collingwood 1976-1977 or Melbourne 1997-1998

Collingwood vs Geelong will be a battle for the midfielders and trust me it will be a great game to watch.

Melbourne Vs Port Adelaide
I’m not buying into this game, I believe this game will be a thrashing in Melbourne favour

Adelaide vs Hawthorn
This game should be in the 7:20pm spot, Two sides who got elite players and ready for a fresh start. Wingard and Scully vs Sloane and Laird.

Western Bulldogs Vs Sydney
I believe this game should go to the 4:35pm slot since it’s against two teams who are in decline. Western Bulldogs are that kind of team that you don’t know if they are going up or down. While Sydney are ageing.

Brisbane Vs West Coast
I don’t see the problem with this game actually, a young team who’s got upside against a well drilled outfit going against each other in what could be a thriller.

St Kilda vs Gold Coast
Zzzzzzzz St Kilda win (despite being inaccurate)

GWS Vs Essendon
Should be a cracker of a game, Essendon has a really good side now

Fremantle vs North
Im expecting this to be low scoring, however this game could be entertaining. Can’t wait to see Fremantle finally have a Forward line for once.

I believe the afl has got most of it correct, the only ones I would switch would be Adelaide vs Hawthorn with Western Bulldogs Vs Sydney.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hard to get excited by yet AGAIN Richmond v Carlton. WTF! Sooooo boring! who cares.

WCE deserve to open the season at home against Collingwood or whoever they want, home or away.

Why the worst performed team of recent decades (Carlton) still attract lucrative timeslots amazes me.

The Premiers playing the Lions at the GABBA in to round 1 is a slap in the face to them massively. Either a home game or a Melbourne game of their choice should be available.

They'll play Collingwood in Perth in round 2, calm down mate.

GF rematch in round 1 is a waste of a big match.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I understand that AFL wants crap games because demand will be high anyway since it's round 1. Having said that it's absolutely disrespectful that the premiers from the previous year aren't in primetime on free to air

I wonder

We dont really get excited traditionally by excers. There too many of them Never known booing of them. Treloar was the most likely but the Orange Army showed no interest.

It's a great matchup though.

Yeah unless there’s particular bad blood or spite or something (think Carey vs North), I never get these things.

They’re hyping Brisbane v Collingwood as some sort of blockbuster because of Dayne Beams. As if anybody really cares.

I remember when we used to smash Richmond when they were rebuilding too

The opening game last year was actually reasonably competitive - it was every match after that we were rubbish

Exactly If the Fans argue about removing Carlton from prime time, then how’ll come Richmond didn’t get removed in 2009/2010?

With how the AFL clearly plays favourites with the fixture I almost hope they get less in the next TV rights. It is the only way they will ever prioritise the fans.
You get a great percentage boosting opportunity as we did last year. Just dont blow it.

With how the AFL clearly plays favourites with the fixture I almost hope they get less in the next TV rights. It is the only way they will ever prioritise the fans.

Organise and succeed at a TV boycott of the Thursday night opener and some angry phone calls will start happening within and between 7 and the AFL

Round 1 2077

Carlton v Richmond Thursday Night for the 70th year in a row.

I still remember after the 2nd or 3rd time in a row they opened the season they started calling it a ‘tradition’
It wasn’t a tradition but the AFL were hellbent on making it one.
These sides never did anything special to take on this spot.
A season opener is an easy game to build up no matter who plays it. It’s one of those games that should never have 2 teams with a monopoly.
It’s so frustrating how they stick with this.

Organise and succeed at a TV boycott of the Thursday night opener and some angry phone calls will start happening within and between 7 and the AFL

The problem is the AFL know people will watch simply because it is the first game of the season and they clearly do not care at all about providing a match that would be nice to watch for neutral fans. They are pretty much giving most AFL fans the middle finger with scheduling Richmond and Carlton as the first game again.

As much as it pains me to agree with a Freo supporter - Coll v Geelong on the Friday night in primetime. Please! We are the premiers - we should be playing on the MCG or in Adelaide as our first away game not travelling the furthest of any team!!

And Freo playing at 3:20pm WST? What a absolutely trash start time in Perth on a Sunday afternoon - yuck! AFL giving a big finger to the western seaboard as per usual.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back