Toast Round 1 = Geelong 103-125 Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
No idea, I thought both Cox's marks for goals were solid marks , I can't actually recall what you talking about, I'll admit I'm one eyed when watching us play but I can watch a replay and be fair with my observations, I thought the umpiring was ordinary, I'm assuming you thought we did ok with them by your post
I thought he held the mark long enough too.

The Maynard “deliberate” is a little more understandable if framed as “insufficient intent”. Still could have gone either way.

Henry free kick in first instance was egregious IMHO, but the 50m was blown before he took his kick, hence they gave it back to him to apply the 50m. Presumably the 50m was for mouthing off, which I can also understand from the player’s point of view as it was a s**t decision.

The second action thing with Atkins I am ignorant about, and will reserve judgment.
Did you know that Atkins is a 'great young leader'? You should! We were told often enough during the broadcast. It was reminiscent of 'Pendlebury played basketball' remarks early in his career.

Yes. I thought the knock toward the boundary was as much to keep it away from the Geelong forward who was closing in on him. It's ludicrous. In a grand final he would literally have to either punch the ball sideways likely into the oncoming path of an opposition forward or back behind him which is even worse. Perhaps he could grab the ball and get tackled and probably pinged for holding the ball. Who'd be a defender?
In that situation, all he needed to do was grab the ball and keep going over the line - throw in. It was dumb.

So if the ball goes out of bounds and you grab someone who is over the line high, it won't be paid a free kick? I assume it's the same for the goal line.
I haven't seen the replay and didn't notice the high contact. But it was a pack competing for a mark on the goal line. It was in general play wasn't it?

First half we just weren't getting the calls they were. We got totally screwed in the third but very favoured in the last.

Agree, we got the run of frees in the last quarter. We also had the run of play in that quarter, with the Cats looking increasingly stupefied and flat-footed. The frees were mostly there.

They did. I stayed after the siren and focused on Ollie Henry, and our players. Quite a few went up to him, and as you say it was amicable.

I think Henry handled the game well enough. He knew what was coming, and he copped it on the chin. He’s still a kid too, and while I hate that he left us, it’s time to move on.

Although I must say the Pies fans will have some fun with him. The booing and the banter in the crowd will be with us for a while, and some of it was very funny. Him kicking goals tended to shut us up, but not for long. Moore’s run down is already legendary, and it generated a noise I’d like to hear again.😍
Talking of having fun. You very rarely hear off field utterances, but in local football, when you tumble over the fence, having a 10” jab is handy for those who engage in banter directed at umpires and players.

Primitive, but sometimes effective.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was it the same umpire that called Cox's fleeting contact with the ball a mark?

Yeah, this.

Questionable calls on both sides.

So so easy to take the ones we get for granted, and the ones that go against us criminally unjust.

The umpiring wasn’t great (they struggled to nail a centre bounce) but it had no impact whatsoever on the result.

Every team thinks they get screwed by the umps, it's called confirmation bias. When a decision goes our way we ignore it, when one goes against us we get outraged by it... which creates this fallacy in our mind that more calls are going against us.

The facts say the umps have been looking after us pretty well for a few years now.

I have watched the replay and paid more attention to the free kicks. Most were technically there (didn't get the why of a couple of 50's).

My issue is that we too had similar instances where a free kick could have been paid but they weren't.

Something that is good about American football is the referee explains rulings.

But pretty sure if you did a survey of AFL punters “would you like to have play stopped so that the umpire can patiently explain what every free kick is for? Or would you prefer that they just got on with it and give us something to whinge about?” We’d definitely chose the latter

Every team thinks they get screwed by the umps, it's called confirmation bias. When a decision goes our way we ignore it, when one goes against us we get outraged by it... which creates this fallacy in our mind that more calls are going against us.

The facts say the umps have been looking after us pretty well for a few years now.
Errr I said we got favoured in the last quarter… out of curiosity where does Geelong rank in your ‘pretty sure free kick differential rankings’

Most people’s first mistake is correlating the free kick count with how a team is treated by umpires

I’ll take 5 frees in front of goal over 15 on the wings and at half back any day of the week and twice on Sunday

Most people’s first mistake is correlating the free kick count with how a team is treated by umpires

I’ll take 5 frees in front of goal over 15 on the wings and at half back any day of the week and twice on Sunday
Agree, plus we seen to get a lot of frees where we are already running with the ball which looks like we are doing well with the umpires when it makes no difference

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back