Preview Round 1: Gold Coast Suns vs Brisbane Lions

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So Barrett expects to play mainly forward. Might mean Robbo plays more midfield.

They both played forward in the JLT but I think will longer quarters and 4 on the bench the forwards will spend more time in the middle.

Given it's the first game of the season and we should be trying to get members surely they should be doing something.

Fwiw I've been hearing ads on the radio all week for our first home game. It's the most I've heard us advertise a game and I was a little surprised it's been on so often.

Id imagine that they've decided that's the one they want to target given we actual gain financially from it

Fwiw I've been hearing ads on the radio all week for our first home game. It's the most I've heard us advertise a game and I was a little surprised it's been on so often.

Id imagine that they've decided that's the one they want to target given we actual gain financially from it

That's interesting. I think round 1 isn't the best time for a Q Clash but usually there are silly stunts with the mascots, someone from our club talking about how much they hate the Suns, etc.

I don't wanna steal Last of the Roys ' thunder, but by my maths, the Suns lineup this weekend is both younger and less experienced than ours, which hasn't happened a lot in recent times. Chalk up a win?

Actually, I had a look at the Inexperience thread, and last year there were 2 games in which we were older & more experienced than our opponents: rounds 8 and 9 against Collingwood and Melbourne respectively. In those 2 games we went 0-2 by a combined margin of 141 points.

I immediately withdraw my prediction of a win.

Cashing in on the hype around the girls game I imagine

Chris Fagan's in this mornings presser said he wants "effort and commitment", i will be very happy with that tomorrow night. no dropping of heads and i will be particularly keen to see if our mids defensive running has improved. unlike last season i want to see huge games from all our experienced mids on the one night eg. Rich, Rockliff, Beams, Zorko, Bastinac, Lester need to perform as a unit.

here's hoping for a Leicester City (2015-16) type performance this year.

does lack of defensive pressure also come down to not being able to keep up speed wise ? Makes it look a lot worse.

Anyone ever sat in Level Two at the back @ Metricon? How was it like? Far away?

Dunno about anyone else, but I have very low expectations for this year. I'd be satisfied with another "miracle on grass"- just one would do. To maintain the faith.

But what I do expect, probably totally unrealistically, is effort. If I see another Lester jog back into the backline to consult with his fellow losers, I'll chuck it in. Or chuck something anyway'

If, IF, Fagan can instill a bit of backline backbone, that'd be a start. TBH, there's been precious little indication of that so far this pre-season.

If there are those who won't commit, and I anticipate there'll be quite a few of those who won't despite the OTT tags applied to a number in our backline ranks, then I'd hope it's turnover time til we hit the spot.

Can't see a win this weekend- even though Ablett is well past his best, GC don't rely on him so much nowadays as there's a bit of talent to spread around. If Hall isn't tagged I'd be amazed. Then again.

Last edited:
Gold Coast could almost field another 1st 18 with their NEAFL side. Pretty stark contrast to our depth. Brodie in particular could consider himself unlucky not to debut. I would prepare for a bit of a hiding.

Gold Coast could almost field another 1st 18 with their NEAFL side. Pretty stark contrast to our depth. Brodie in particular could consider himself unlucky not to debut. I would prepare for a bit of a hiding.

Just saw their squad. It's bloody strong. Might be a good thing we're only playing half a game against them. Hopefully Grewar, McInerney, Hammer, Archie and Eagles stand up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just makes you wonder what sort of KPP depth we could have if Clarke hadn't retired. A backline duo of Clarke and Andrews would have been so good to stop their twin towers of Wright and Lynch.

Keen for this game though, just worried that they might be a quicker side and beat us around the contest.

Beams, Rich, Rockliff, Bastinac, Keays, Lester is astonishingly slow as a whole. Hope Zorko and Cutler are ready with their chasing boots on.

Am indeed going to all 3 games, free public transport sounds good, hope we get the triple treat with wins all round.

Just makes you wonder what sort of KPP depth we could have if Clarke hadn't retired. A backline duo of Clarke and Andrews would have been so good to stop their twin towers of Wright and Lynch.

Keen for this game though, just worried that they might be a quicker side and beat us around the contest.

Beams, Rich, Rockliff, Bastinac, Keays, Lester is astonishingly slow as a whole. Hope Zorko and Cutler are ready with their chasing boots on.

Am indeed going to all 3 games, free public transport sounds good, hope we get the triple treat with wins all round.
Stop it, you're making me reminisce at what our defensive line could of been :oops:. Having Skinner and Clarke making up the spine, Andrews as the third tall intercepting and making the occasional spoil, Harwood and Gardiner switching out to manage the small forwards, and Cutler and Mayes providing some class and drive off half back. If only.

Relax guys - on page 89 of the Courier Mail (just after the mandatory few pages of RL) they had the AFL Round 1 Teams - they left off Carlton v Richmond since they had already played but had the other seven games listed.

Other seven you say - are there not eight games to be played after the first one you might think - nay friend you are mistaken there are but seven.

Care to guess *which* game the Qld paper of record, based in SE Qld managed to forget / leave out...

What was that you said - my my however did you guess!

The only one missing was Gold Coast v Lions.

So it seems we are not playing this weekend so no need to worry!

Anyone ever sat in Level Two at the back @ Metricon? How was it like? Far away?

Relative to the back of the Gabba, yes. The Gabba is steeper and the stand built closer to the ground. When you sit at the back you can only just see the boundary line below you, whilst at Metricon you can easily see 3-4m outside the boundary line, indicating the whole stand could be 3-4m closer. The ground is also quite big and very deep in the corners. Considering you're only 25-30 rows back, your feel 55 rows back. Plus mosquitos. Plus no parking. Plus rubbish transport. It's just awful. Sorry I've got a grudge.

Relax guys - on page 89 of the Courier Mail (just after the mandatory few pages of RL) they had the AFL Round 1 Teams - they left off Carlton v Richmond since they had already played but had the other seven games listed.

Other seven you say - are there not eight games to be played after the first one you might think - nay friend you are mistaken there are but seven.

Care to guess *which* game the Qld paper of record, based in SE Qld managed to forget / leave out...

What was that you said - my my however did you guess!

The only one missing was Gold Coast v Lions.

So it seems we are not playing this weekend so no need to worry!

i haven't read a newspaper for 5 years or more except for the free local community newspaper.

found this on the main board- twitterless- a photo of newly laid squares of turf at metricon with the hammo quote "guess where metricon or the gabba, hint- there will be 3 games of footy played there tomorrow."

found this on the main board- twitterless- a photo of newly laid squares of turf at metricon with the hammo quote "guess where metricon or the gabba, hint- there will be 3 games of footy played there tomorrow."

I wonder if Stadiums Queensland have got the hint yet........ (if they care)

Relative to the back of the Gabba, yes. The Gabba is steeper and the stand built closer to the ground. When you sit at the back you can only just see the boundary line below you, whilst at Metricon you can easily see 3-4m outside the boundary line, indicating the whole stand could be 3-4m closer. The ground is also quite big and very deep in the corners. Considering you're only 25-30 rows back, your feel 55 rows back. Plus mosquitos. Plus no parking. Plus rubbish transport. It's just awful. Sorry I've got a grudge.
Couldn't tell.

Apparently, still a better playing surface than one maintained by Kevin Mitchell Jr.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back